Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using SSD for Sentry and music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to share my experience using a SSD instead of a flash drive in the refreshed Tesla X. This brought the following benefits:
  • Playback and "rewinding" of the recorded footage are now instant.
  • Still testing this, but it seems the use of a SSD resolved the issue with disappearing drives when a flash drive was partitioned for using for Sentry and music at the same time. This is what I did:
    • Bought SAMSUNG T7 Touch Portable SSD 500GB - Up to 1050MB/s - USB 3.2 External Solid State Drive, Black (MU-PC500K/WW).
    • Executed in macOS Terminal: diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk4 MBR ExFAT TESLADRIVE 75% ExFAT MUSIC 25% (make sure <disk4> is actually your SDD).
    • Created /TeslaCam/SavedClips on TESLADRIVE.
  • Still testing this, but the false error message about having a small flash drive was gone.
That's good that while Tesla isn't paying attention to the mentioned issues, there is something we can do ourselves to resolve them.

Reactions: cwhite51 and jiehan
Playback and "rewinding" of the recorded footage are now instant.
Were you using an "endurance" OR "high endurance" SD card before?

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)

Were you using an "endurance" OR "high endurance" SD card before?

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)

The standard Tesla 128 GB USB flash drive that came with the car. The car complained that it was less than 32 GB though 🤪

I'm using an M.2 NVMe USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSD Enclosure with an Adata 2TB Falcon M.2 drive. Loaded it with over 40,000 files totaling 600gb of MP3's, and it boots up in less then 3 minutes. This is using the console USB-3 socket. For the dedicated glove-box Sentry drive, I use a 512gb Micro Center USB 3.2 thumb drive, which seems to work just fine. Also in the glove box, I use a 18" right-angle USB extension cable to prevent damage to the back socket and afford easy access to the drive.

These formatting instructions worked great for me, thanks!

I have an old Mac Music library (nee iTunes). I copied the guts of the library over to the SSD as-is, and this worked almost perfectly. Whenever I select the USB device, I see all my music, no subdirectories. (Maybe the car is scanning all subdirectories and building an index based on various metadata embedded in the MP3 files it finds?) But, the way I copied it over apparently didn't include my Music/iTunes playlists. I'm curious if there's a "best" way to copy the folder over. (I can experiment with different methods of copying it over, but was hoping to save myself some time if someone knows.)

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
The included USB drive is actually pretty fast. I compared it to a SK hynix Gold NVMe SSD in an external enclosure. It's obvious Tesla sourced to optimize sequential read which is likely the determining factor for responsiveness while reviewing sentry footage. The SK hynix is heads and shoulders better in other categories of course.

Included Tesla USB drive:

Tesla Default USB Drive CrystalDiskMark.PNG

SK hynix Gold NVMe:

SK hynix NVMe CrystalDiskMark.PNG

Reactions: rhaining