Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USPS Stole my package.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Ordered some things from Walmart. Free ship over $35.00. So, of course I select shipping rather than dealing with the actual store.
Walmart 'ships' everything except for 1 item via (I assume) employee in their personal car to my door. Strange, but whatever.

Then, they FedEx 1 item, from TX to PA. For... reasons? I can't figure out Walmart logistics, but that's not the reason for the post.

I watch from my home office window as FedEx parks on the street, and mulls around my mailbox for a while. I'm in a few meetings, but later in the day I go to retrieve the package. FedEx sends me a photo, of the front of my home, from the street. (Not pictured, the package). Amusing, but whatever.

Can't find the package. Look in the mailbox, under it (is a slot for I assume a newspaper?). On the ground, in neighbor's mailbox (USPS forgive me?). Nothing.

We've had 2-3 package delivery issues in 12+ years, and never a single package stolen.
(Also have about 12 Wyze v3 cameras). So good luck thieves!

I've always wanted a camera by the road/mailbox, but it would have to be solar powered with a battery (and no not the wzye outdoor one, i want a v3). Maybe I'll build a setup for that now.

ANYWAY.

I get on with Walmart customer service - they refund me the price of the single item within 2 minute of chatting.
Ok. whatever. I assume it's cheaper to appease me than figure out the issue.

Next day: USPS tag, "we stole your package and you owe us $5." (me: lol, GLWT).
(I told them to RTS it).

Ohh my... So I call the next day, and here we are 3 days later from the actual delivery. Discuss the issue with local USPS.
Apparently they are doing this to piss people off enough to call and complain to companies like FedEx.
I let USPS know not to worry, as this package was not life saving medicine for me or my hypothetical children, but if it was, I'd be quite livid.

So, while I understand it may be 'legal', I've gone from indifferent (the best thing you could ever hope to be in my eyes) to loathing USPS.

"Legal" is one thing. Taking my package and asking me for money for it back, that's just a... a really bad business model.

Now Instead of going about my day not giving a second thought to USPS or FedEx, or whatever, I'll be dedicating time to letting others know about the situation, and siding with FedEx and UPS in that, they SHOULD be "allowed" to deliver to mailboxes.

So, thanks to the USPS, I'm now joining the fight AGAINST them.
And will be doing what I can to assist in correcting this obvious government monopoly.

USPS Can expect some feedback, on this.

GOOD JOB USPS! You really helped prove your point through this action.

Ordered some things from Walmart. Free ship over $35.00. So, of course I select shipping rather than dealing with the actual store.
Walmart 'ships' everything except for 1 item via (I assume) employee in their personal car to my door. Strange, but whatever.

Then, they FedEx 1 item, from TX to PA. For... reasons? I can't figure out Walmart logistics, but that's not the reason for the post.

I watch from my home office window as FedEx parks on the street, and mulls around my mailbox for a while. I'm in a few meetings, but later in the day I go to retrieve the package. FedEx sends me a photo, of the front of my home, from the street. (Not pictured, the package). Amusing, but whatever.

Can't find the package. Look in the mailbox, under it (is a slot for I assume a newspaper?). On the ground, in neighbor's mailbox (USPS forgive me?). Nothing.

We've had 2-3 package delivery issues in 12+ years, and never a single package stolen.
(Also have about 12 Wyze v3 cameras). So good luck thieves!

I've always wanted a camera by the road/mailbox, but it would have to be solar powered with a battery (and no not the wzye outdoor one, i want a v3). Maybe I'll build a setup for that now.

ANYWAY.

I get on with Walmart customer service - they refund me the price of the single item within 2 minute of chatting.
Ok. whatever. I assume it's cheaper to appease me than figure out the issue.

Next day: USPS tag, "we stole your package and you owe us $5." (me: lol, GLWT).
(I told them to RTS it).

Ohh my... So I call the next day, and here we are 3 days later from the actual delivery. Discuss the issue with local USPS.
Apparently they are doing this to piss people off enough to call and complain to companies like FedEx.
I let USPS know not to worry, as this package was not life saving medicine for me or my hypothetical children, but if it was, I'd be quite livid.

So, while I understand it may be 'legal', I've gone from indifferent (the best thing you could ever hope to be in my eyes) to loathing USPS.

"Legal" is one thing. Taking my package and asking me for money for it back, that's just a... a really bad business model.

Now Instead of going about my day not giving a second thought to USPS or FedEx, or whatever, I'll be dedicating time to letting others know about the situation, and siding with FedEx and UPS in that, they SHOULD be "allowed" to deliver to mailboxes.

So, thanks to the USPS, I'm now joining the fight AGAINST them...
By law, your home mailbox can only contain items that are paid to the USPS, so yes, it is a monopoly.

FedEx are welcome to use your mailbox as long as it pays USPS for the practice.

You can send a letter for $0.63 to anywhere in the US with USPS but not true with private carriers like FedEx even when you want to pay them extras like hundreds or thousands...

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Well that all sounds pretty shady. I find it really odd that Walmart has employees delivering stuff in their personal vehicles to your home. Not sure I'd be very comfortable with that.
Yeah, they do it all the time, what's really fun is you can track the delivery via the app, and you can see how many stops away they are by tracing the displayed route. Anytime it back tracks - is a delivery. Why else would you turn down a road just to turn around? It's shady as heck.

Well that all sounds pretty shady. I find it really odd that Walmart has employees delivering stuff in their personal vehicles to your home. Not sure I'd be very comfortable with that.

How would that be any different from InstaCart, DoorDash, UberEats, or any other of those services that has sprung up over the past few years?