Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V.10 Ruined My Phone as a Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mo City

Jul 17, 2016
near Houston
Got my Model 3 a little over a year ago. Until v.10, only a handful of times did my phone fail to unlock my car. Since v.10, this happens ~50% of the time. I'm very disappointed and aggravated.

What rubs it in is sometimes the door will open, music will start playing from my phone, but I can't drive the car without using the key card.

Anyone else with this problem because of v.10?

Reactions: Falkirk
I'm also running the latest iOS 13.1.2 on my iPhone X and have v10 and have no issues with phone key.

I would suggest to change your location settings on the Tesla app to "Always" and allow background refresh on the app.
You can also try deleting the Tesla app and relink your key and bluetooth to see if that resolves the issue for you.

I know a lot of owners still have issues with bluetooth phone key.

I've hit this problem as well but I'm on Android. Today the app was killing my battery for the first time in 15 months. I also had issues opening the door for the first time since changing my phone about 11 months ago (OnePlus 6T). My original phone was terrible as a key.

I'm hoping it goes back to being awesome again!

V10 and ios13 came out roughly in the same time period and for sure there was some flakey ness. I blame the iOS change more than Tesla there. It seems like there have been 6 or so iOS patches since then and it’s been behaving much better.

Mine has also improved in the last 2 weeks, it still feels like there's a tiny hesitation in unlocking that wasn't there before but I haven't been stuck standing outside of the car with the family waiting for me to pull out my phone and unlock the car, just that 1or 2 times after v10 installed for me.