Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 2022.4.5 doesn't remember USB source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another complaint here about the USB music-resume cockup. Apparently USB music is just one of those features they donā€™t care about.

Their software QA is my number 1 warning for future Tesla buyers. I canā€™t believe anyone would trust Teslaā€˜s software engineering for something like FSD.

We have found a consistent way to do it, as advised earlier.

Basically, use the voice entry capacity to say "U S B", and the car will load up music from the USB and start off at the place you left it.
Many (myself included) have found that just "USB" doesn't always work. It is better to say "Switch to USB"

I have set my car up to ALWAYS have Sentry on (even at work and home) and this works to automatically resume playback about 70% of the time. Yeah, it's a hit on energy, but TO ME it is worth the sacrifice.

Many (myself included) have found that just "USB" doesn't always work. It is better to say "Switch to USB"

I have set my car up to ALWAYS have Sentry on (even at work and home) and this works to automatically resume playback about 70% of the time. Yeah, it's a hit on energy, but TO ME it is worth the sacrifice.
Saying "USB" or "Switch to USB" works nearly all of the time for and it resumes where I left off. I don't have sentry mode on, or anything else to keep the car awake and the USB command still works.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Saying "USB" or "Switch to USB" works nearly all of the time for and it resumes where I left off. I don't have sentry mode on, or anything else to keep the car awake and the USB command still works.
My point on leaving Sentry on was that I don't have to use the voice command: the cars behaves as it should and just picks up where I was last listening.

And using just "USB" stopped working for me (and many others) a couple of firmware iterations ago (currently 2022.20.8, but it was a couple of updates ago)

My point on leaving Sentry on was that I don't have to use the voice command: the cars behaves as it should and just picks up where I was last listening.

And using just "USB" stopped working for me (and many others) a couple of firmware iterations ago (currently 2022.20.8, but it was a couple of updates ago)
We are also on ...20.8 and using the voice command "U S B" works reliably for us, provided the car is accepting voice commands.

Just got 2022.4.5 today. I stupidly installed it because how could V11 get any worse? It can. The car now does not remember that it was playing USB music at all. It briefly displays the album thumbnail from the last song playing, then cuts to a nag message telling me premium connectivity has expired and to choose a music source. I have to choose USB again, then select a song to play, thus blowing any hope of continuity in my playlist out of the water and guaranteeing additional delay every time I get in the car.

This is such a blatant money grab from them! They don't want you playing your own music; they'd much rather charge you for premium connectivity and have you use streaming instead. In the two years I've owned the car they've systematically and continuously eroded and downgraded the USB music experience to the point where it's stupidly difficult to use and completely lacking in features. A $50 mp3 player from 10 years ago works better. Ooops, no aux jack; how convenient...

Screw you Tesla and screw you Elon. I'm so done with you now... šŸ˜”
Even if you pay you still can't get what you want. Screwed either way

Same thing is happening with Bluetooth music on phone. As soon as car goes into park and I leave the car for a minute, when I get back into the car I have to reconnect Bluetooth to phoneā€™s music folder. I also have to reconnect Bluetooth to phoneā€˜s music if I switch to radio station. But I think the Bluetooth connection remains linked for phone calls.
Worse, if you have multiple Bluetooth devices and get out of the car to plug in at the Supercharger, even without closing the door, it kicks out whatever Bluetooth device is currently connected and switches back to the primary Bluetooth device. It is utterly annoying.

Worse, if you have multiple Bluetooth devices and get out of the car to plug in at the Supercharger, even without closing the door, it kicks out whatever Bluetooth device is currently connected and switches back to the primary Bluetooth device. It is utterly annoying.
Another bug with USB playback it that it is muted when you go to the arcade with the new MCU2, it does not do this for streaming.

USB music hasn't worked for me in a long time; several software releases. The same stick that worked "perfectly" (using voice commands to resume playback) now never indexes. I never see a USB input on the console.

Tried another stick, and same thing. Same USB port will charge my phone, so I don't think it's the port (neither works anyway).

Their software reminds me of the worst days of Microsoft; bugs don't get fixed, there's no one to appeal to, and no one at the company cares anyway.

"switch to USB" voice command works very well for me.

When the car sits overnite (so...like EVERY day, ha), it NEVER has remembered the USB was playing. always comes back on as some streaming radio station, like ESPN.

Saying "switch to USB" works. picks up the last song on the USB and off i go.

although at this point i'd really like it to respond to "f@#k you Elon". would be so much more satisfying. just saying.

• Disagree
Reactions: tradosaurus
@Creeble - I think something else might be going on as most users report the "Switch to USB" works okay (myself included) as well as a couple of others. But I see you've got an OG Tesla, so it might be an older computer that is causing the challenge.

A REALLY stupid workaround is to always leave Sentry on - even at home. This prevents the car from going to sleep (and sucks up a lot of energy obviously) and that way the car picks right back up where it left off.