Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 backup camera laggy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cameras have been laggy/buggy too. Honestly, this is VERY serious safety issue. For better or for worse, people depend on these kind of systems to be accurate. I think an average person would typically believe that, if they see camera images on their screen, that they are (very nearly) real-time images without significant delay. Lane changes and backing out of a driveway (especially with default behavior of folding in mirrors in some locations), without correct camera info can cause some very serious incidents.

Seems like the Intel Atom cars are already overburdened with the V11 interface. I've had both Intel and AMD cars; on the Intel car the camera lag was fixed with the first 2022 update and the AMD car never had the lag, even with the factory load.

Interesting that has a reference to the lag allowed by federal law. 2 seconds seems like a lot of lag.

Interesting that has a reference to the lag allowed by federal law. 2 seconds seems like a lot of lag.
My understanding is this is the lag permitted to begin showing camera images. In approximate terms, once you shift into reverse, the camera has 2.0 seconds to turn on and begin displaying an image. Also, I believe that rule is at least 4 years old. If the rule was originated today, I'd guess it would be set to less than 2.0 seconds.

I'm not aware of an explicit standard of the latency of images once they begin to be displayed. IMO, anything above 100ms (perhaps 150ms) is a problem. For perspective, many computer monitors have something like 1 to 5ms latency.