Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 falcon wing door switch update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
$22 later. these *actually* make sense!

PXL_20210416_184908068.jpg

Thank you for the great video. I just posted this on Youtube as well...
Thank you - this was great. Just FYI, tried to order the part number, they said wouldn't fit my Dec 2016 Model X (not sure I trust them) - the part # 1038107-02-D - now $38 each, instead of $11 each - may try and stop by a different service center.

Thank you - this was great. Just FYI, tried to order the part number, they said wouldn't fit my Dec 2016 Model X (not sure I trust them) - the part # 1038107-02-D - now $38 each, instead of $11 each - may try and stop by a different service center.

haha, I just replied as well. the PN you posted looks to be the old switch (that came with your car). I suspect they want to cover their asses, and the easiest way to do that is to tell customers parts won't fit.

Did a little more digging. It looks like the "G" revision is of the original door switch. What that includes, I have no idea, but it's visually the same as the switch you've got in your 2016 right now.

PXL_20210428_044513583.MP.jpg

Why are we calling this "V3"? The image in the OP looks the same as what my 2017 came with to me (at least at a glance), and IIRC, service centers were upgrading the 2016 models to that switch upon request back then. Is this switch different than what my 2017 has, and how?

Why are we calling this "V3"? The image in the OP looks the same as what my 2017 came with to me (at least at a glance), and IIRC, service centers were upgrading the 2016 models to that switch upon request back then. Is this switch different than what my 2017 has, and how?

it's the 3rd revision of the switch, as indicated by the part number

yes. you can pay the service center to do it. some have had success buying the part and having tesla install it for free. my dealer wanted to charge me labor