TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

V8.0 question - what does the speed in the circle indicate?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by shah007, Oct 4, 2016.

1. shah007

shah007 Member

In 8.0, I see 3 diff speeds as compared to 2 before. The speed with the circle is a new thing which was introduced in 8.0. What does the speed in the circle indicate?

2. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

[​IMG]

If this image includes the one you are asking about then:

Current speed 42 MPH

Speed limit 45 MPH

TACC set to 50 MPH

3. shah007

shah007 Member

For some reason, I am not able to see the image. Can you please copy/paste the image

4. shah007

shah007 Member

So what does TACC at 50 MPH in this scenario imply? Based on what I read for TACC, do I need to activate cruise control so TACC takes effect?

5. thimel

thimel Member

In your picture the TACC icon is colored blue which means TACC is already active.

6. St Charles

St Charles Member

I thought that 7.1 had this as well. Anyway, it's the speed your TACC is set to. It means on a clear road your car would go up to that indicated speed. You may not be going that fast because you are following a car that is moving slower then your set speed.

7. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

The circle is stupid. Very stupid. Very very very stupid. I liked the old method better.

When it's gray (not activated), and you're going under the speed limit - it shows the speed limit
    When it's gray(not activated), and you're going over the speed limit - it shows you your current speed
    When it's blue (activated), it's set to the maximum speed you want TACC to go.

• Funny x 1
  8. BLKTSLA

BLKTSLA Member

I agree that its not as visually intuitive as the previous icon which is more aligned with the standards of cruise control. Just an addition to your description for the reference of the OP or others:

TACC, when available, always shows what speed it will be set to when activated. If under the speed limit it will show the speed limit OR your desired speed offset from the speed limit that you set in the settings (i.e. 5mph over, 10mph over, etc). If you are already over the speed limit or your offset speed then thats the speed TACC will default to when activated.

• Informative x 1
  9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

What is a "blue circle with a number in it" in 8.0 was a "~3/4 circle with ticks on it and a set speed indicator that was somewhat small and difficult to read". Hope this helps.