Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 - BUT OLD NAVIGATION?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, so I know there is quite some controversy about v9. My biggest issue that's bothering me, is that I still seem to have the old NAV in my 2016 Model S (pre refresh) so I don't have the feature "Use HOV Lanes" for example.
Are there any others out there with this problem? I saw one other person in this forum so far, but I would like to know if there are more and/or if anyone knows a fix or anything. I also contacted Tesla support about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back from them. Quite annoying.

Thanks.

Hi everyone, so I know there is quite some controversy about v9. My biggest issue that's bothering me, is that I still seem to have the old NAV in my 2016 Model S (pre refresh) so I don't have the feature "Use HOV Lanes" for example.
Are there any others out there with this problem? I saw one other person in this forum so far, but I would like to know if there are more and/or if anyone knows a fix or anything. I also contacted Tesla support about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back from them. Quite annoying.

Thanks.
Good friend of mine asked very recently during a planned SC visit to have it installed. This time, contrary to a few months back, they answered positively and indeed when he got his car back , the new beta navigation was installed.
So short answer: ask the SC to install it.

• Helpful
Reactions: kgroschi
The map update is big (5GB), so you would need to connect to a stable wifi to get it.
Given how fragile and unstable Tesla WiFi has been, it may be hard to do, especially since the new MCU came out (which seems to have worsened the old MCU, probably through some shares software). A lot of people might not realize how unstable their connection is, unless their router monitors and reports (of you can sit in the car and watch it flip from WiFi to LTE or 3G and back). SC would probably be the best bet, they hookup using wired Ethernet.

Thanks guys. My car is in my garage and while it's just 20 feet away from my router, I know that my garage doesn't have the best connection (even with my phone etc). So possibly that's why I never got it. Maybe I should try moving the router for a few days and see if that helps.

Thanks guys. My car is in my garage and while it's just 20 feet away from my router, I know that my garage doesn't have the best connection (even with my phone etc). So possibly that's why I never got it. Maybe I should try moving the router for a few days and see if that helps.

I’m in same boat - V9, new maps, old nav. I have a very strong WiFi connection in the garage (100 Mb/s down on average), so that’s not the cause. I downloaded 2018.40 last night but still no new nav. Don’t feel like making a SC visit just for this. Feels like we fell through the cracks somehow. I’m a 2016 pre-refresh 90D, so we’re the same vintage which is interesting.

• Informative
I’m in same boat - V9, new maps, old nav. I have a very strong WiFi connection in the garage (100 Mb/s down on average), so that’s not the cause. I downloaded 2018.40 last night but still no new nav. Don’t feel like making a SC visit just for this. Feels like we fell through the cracks somehow. I’m a 2016 pre-refresh 90D, so we’re the same vintage which is interesting.

That's very interesting indeed. Hmm, I will see if I can make it to the SC soon. I got some rattle noise coming from the passenger front right area anyways, and something loose flying around inside the rear right door panel. So it might be worth it going.

Signal strength is not what I was referring to (it can be a problem if you have low signal, but even with full signal Tesla WiFi is so alpha quality and untested it's not funny - maybe it worked on some developers desk so that's considered done). I put an access point 5 feet above the cars on the garage ceiling - clear line of sight to the cars, signal strength in the car shows all bars always, router reports 99% signal strength, still the Tesla WiFi has problems staying connected. This problem has been a moving target as with updates the behaviors can change. For while I finally got it stable by creating a completely isolated , dedicated network for the 2 Tesla's in the garage. Worked for a while, then with one of the v9's the new MCU car started to be unstable (would stay connected 2-5seconds, go back to LTE, on occasion it could stay connected up to 20 minutes) - so I ended up creating a wireless network just for that car and it solved the problem. Apparently even 2 Teslas on the same WiFi can interfere with each other.

Some other threads on this for your reading pleasure:
WiFi and LTE Keeps Flipping
Wifi Router chatter
If you have WiFi setup problems

My 2017 Model X connection seems stable. It stays on and connects to my home wifi. Energy saving off & checked Always connect.
The ugly thing is, the car will go offline at night because deep sleep mode. So if your car gets an update signal from the mothership at night, it will fail.