Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Dash Cam Footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it not possible they'll enable all cameras at some point? they don't have to have it all working on the first release...
I am sure that over time this new feature will be improved. After 4+ years of Tesla ownership, and receiving more firmware updates than I can count, that it what I have seen; gradual improvement of existing features.

I am puzzled as to why Tesla chose the narrow view forward camera for the dashcam feature as opposed to the wide angle forward camera. I have zero experience with dashcam, but wouldn’t the wide angle camera be more useful?

Max partition size for FAT32 is about 8TB... Windows GUI won't let you format bigger than 32GB with FAT32, but tons of 3rd party tools will.

Until we know the codec/compression used for the video we've no idea what a "good" size is though.

2TB might be a great idea if it's capturing raw 720p/60 video and will eventually do so across 8 cameras and be configurable to run 24/7.

But the max file size for FAT32 is 4TB. Hopefully the system will create a new file when it hits the limit.

Just at first glance, here's a quick list of the items I can think of that the Tesla dashcam feature is not giving you compared to a dedicated dashcam like the BlackVue series:
  • 4:3 aspect ratio vice 16:9, so events ahead and towards the sides of your car may be out of view on the Tesla dashcam whereas they'd be in-view with a dedicated dashcam.
  • 1280x960 resolution vice 1920x1080 or higher on some dedicated dashcams.
  • 30 (or 36?) frames per second capture rate, whereas some dedicated dashcams are doing 60.
  • No on-screen text overlay of parameters like speed, name/identifier, location, G-forces, etc.
  • No storage of those parameters that can be read back later.
  • No audio capture.
  • Limited loop recording time (1 hour), regardless of USB flash drive size.
  • Recording only when vehicle powered on, no recording while parked. (Although to be fair, recording while parked using a dedicated dashcam on the Model 3 requires some extra-cost components like a backup battery pack).
  • Currently only recording one camera facing forward, no recording of the rear camrea like many dedicated dashcams.
  • No image stabilization, so the footage is bouncy and sometimes jittery from the Tesla camera.
  • Image quality from the Tesla camera is good in both night and day, and is better than many expected. However, a dedicated dashcam is superior in contrast and dynamic range.
But, given that the Tesla dashcam is essentially free (only need a USB flash drive) and requires no installation, it's a great deal.

Nearly everything on your list can be added to the tesla version via software update- remember this is the very first beta version of it- with more features to come.

The only exception would be that It won't ever do 1920x1080...though I can't think of a ton of situations that's needed, the resolution they're using is still HD after all.

Everything else the HW is capable of to one degree or another though... and unlike aftermarket dash cams could also offer 360 field of view.

Though likely you'd need the AP3 processor swap (free with FSD) to handle storing all 8 cameras at 60fps...

BTW- the aspect ration comment doesn't make a lot of sense to me... 1280x960 is 1,228,800 pixels of data. The 16x9 version of 720p is 1280 x 720... that's actually less data captured in the recording.... essentially you're still getting the same amount of side-side data, you're just getting additional vertical data up and down.

Possibly you're mixing that up with when original footage is filmed 16:9 and then they used to recut it for for old 4:3 TVs, which required slicing off the sides...but that's not relevant to this.

• Informative
Reactions: LonestarV
4GB is the maximum file size limit on FAT32, not 4TB. I'm sure that the software is breaking the files up into segments. The FAT32 file system driver that they're using wouldn't let them write a file larger than 4GB anyway.

at current resolution and capture size it won't ever create a file bigger than 4GB.... that might change if the enable more cameras and/or increase the frame rate, but yeah then it'd be easy enough to just save video in 4GB chunks.

Nearly everything on your list can be added to the tesla version via software update- remember this is the very first beta version of it- with more features to come.

The only exception would be that It won't ever do 1920x1080...though I can't think of a ton of situations that's needed, the resolution they're using is still HD after all.

Everything else the HW is capable of to one degree or another though... and unlike aftermarket dash cams could also offer 360 field of view.

Though likely you'd need the AP3 processor swap (free with FSD) to handle storing all 8 cameras at 60fps...

BTW- the aspect ration comment doesn't make a lot of sense to me... 1280x960 is 1,228,800 pixels of data. The 16x9 version of 720p is 1280 x 720... that's actually less data captured in the recording.... essentially you're still getting the same amount of side-side data, you're just getting additional vertical data up and down.

Possibly you're mixing that up with when original footage is filmed 16:9 and then they used to recut it for for old 4:3 TVs, which required slicing off the sides...but that's not relevant to this.

I think they are confusing aspect ratio with the camera's field of view

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: KenF and chinnam3

Resolution is everything with a dash cam. In either 1280x960 or 1920x1080, license plates that are more than 2 car lengths away are not readable. To get license plates readable at 4-5 car lengths, you need 4K resolution (3840x2160).

Not sure why you're referencing the "720p version" of 16x9. No modern dashcam records in 720p anymore. All of them are at least 1920x1080.

The side-to-side field of view of the Tesla dashcam is less than an aftermarket dashcam. Aftermarket dashcams typically have a 135 degree or more field of view, which is enough to get the entrance to intersections both on the left and right when you're the first car stopped at a light. The Tesla's dashcam implementation is nowhere near that wide of a field of view. If the camera was a 16:9 aspect ratio with all other parameters the same, then I believe the field of view would approach that of an aftermarket dashcam. But given that it's 4x3, you don't have that field of view.

As far as why the camera is 4:3, I do not know if that's because the actual optical sensor is 4:3 or if the sensor is actually 16:9, but the side data is being cropped by the computer before it's recorded. If it's the latter, that's probably fixable in software which would be good. If the former, then the only solution would be to use one of the other AP cameras other than the narrow-field camera. However, I find that scenario improbable, as I don't think there's but a very tiny number of manufacturers of image sensors that are 4:3 with HD resolution.

I think they are confusing aspect ratio with the camera's field of view

No, I am not confusing the two. I am well aware of the difference, see my explanation above. Also, I'm not a "they". :)

Reactions: chinnam3
Resolution is everything with a dash cam. In either 1280x960 or 1920x1080, license plates that are more than 2 car lengths away are not readable. To get license plates readable at 4-5 car lengths, you need 4K resolution (3840x2160).

Then it sounds like you're not really losing anything with this version versus the 1920x1080 ones mentioned from the aftermarket.

Not really sure why I need to see a license plate 75 feet away though (~5 car lengths)... if it hit me it had to get a ton nearer than 75 feet.

Not sure why you're referencing the "720p version" of 16x9

To point out complaining about it being 4:3 was nonsensical, since it's actually giving you more detail than 16x9 would in that specific instance.

. No modern dashcam records in 720p anymore. All of them are at least 1920x1080.

Which as you just pointed out doesn't get you much over 720p

The side-to-side field of view of the Tesla dashcam is less than an aftermarket dashcam.

Using only the front narrow camera? sure.

once they turn on the other cameras it'll be vastly superior to the aftermarket options for field of view coverage- it'll cover the entire car in all directions.

As far as why the camera is 4:3, I do not know if that's because the actual optical sensor is 4:3 or if the sensor is actually 16:9, but the side data is being cropped by the computer before it's recorded. If it's the latter, that's probably fixable in software which would be good. If the former, then the only solution would be to use one of the other AP cameras other than the narrow-field camera. However, I find that scenario improbable, as I don't think there's but a very tiny number of manufacturers of image sensors that are 4:3 with HD resolution.

(Datasheet) AR0132AT pdf - Aptina Confidential and Proprietary Preliminary‡ AR0132AT: 1/3-Inc 1/3-Inch CMOS Digital Image Sensor (1-page)

That's the camera they use everywhere but the rear

1280x960 is the max native resolution of the sensor (which again is actually more visual data and straight 720p offers)

So they're not cropping anything at all.

No, I am not confusing the two. I am well aware of the difference, see my explanation above. Also, I'm not a "they". :)

And see mine :)

I'm not saying the current implementation is as good as an excellent aftermarket choice. I'm just saying there's no hardware limitations that really prevent it from being better than most aftermarket choices essentially for free....unless you really need to read licenses plates 75+ feet away I guess.

@Knightshade,

All I was trying to do was post a nice summary of the differences in the two implementations. I thought this might give readers a concise list of things that they might consider if they wanted to use the Tesla dashcam in v9 or if they wanted to consider paying for an aftermarket dashcam. Nothing that I posted was inaccurate.

Then all of a sudden some kind of argument breaks out for no good reason. This exact same thing happened to me 2 days ago over in the P3D+ winter tires thread. I post my opinion and a bomb goes off.

I'm done here. I have had it with this BS.

• Funny
Reactions: SoCalGuy
I appreciate the summary Somejoe7777, it's good to know that this won't suit my needs for multiple reasons. Using up a USB port, the low resolution (resolution is king when it comes to any type of security cam) and the limited storage all don't mesh with my personal needs.

@Knightshade,

All I was trying to do was post a nice summary of the differences in the two implementations. I thought this might give readers a concise list of things that they might consider if they wanted to use the Tesla dashcam in v9 or if they wanted to consider paying for an aftermarket dashcam. Nothing that I posted was inaccurate.

Then all of a sudden some kind of argument breaks out for no good reason. This exact same thing happened to me 2 days ago over in the P3D+ winter tires thread. I post my opinion and a bomb goes off.

I'm done here. I have had it with this BS.

You should try not taking things so personally. You post your opinion, others post their own opinions and counter points. Lighten up.

Reactions: Runt8
Ok so I got my new 64GB flash drive and formatted it, created the “TeslaCam” folder at the root and also dumped a few MP3 files on there to make sure my Model 3 could read from it. I also purchased this USB 2 port hub (which doesn’t seem to be available direct from Amazon anymore): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ORPJ14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_IuQTBbQRT475D

I plugged in the USB hub to one of the front USB ports and then plugged in my phone and the flash drive. My phone was able to charge while I was playing music off of the flash drive so I’m hoping this will also work for the dash cam feature. I’ve read elsewhere that you can’t use the same flash drive for both the dash cam and music, but I don’t use a flash drive for music so that won’t be a problem for me. I mainly need this because I’ve bought a Nomad wireless charger and want to be able to charge two phones while also recording dash cam video as I’m sure many others here will do the same.

Just have to wait for version 9 to start rolling out for me to see if this setup will work...

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Then it sounds like you're not really losing anything with this version versus the 1920x1080 ones mentioned from the aftermarket.

Ok, but you're still at half the pixels. Of course pixels are one thing, and sensors are another.

Not really sure why I need to see a license plate 75 feet away though (~5 car lengths)... if it hit me it had to get a ton nearer than 75 feet.

Because sometimes they hit you from behind and speed away. The greater detail the greater chance you have of reading the plate. Either way, more is better.

To point out complaining about it being 4:3 was nonsensical, since it's actually giving you more detail than 16x9 would in that specific instance.

In which specific instance? If the 16 X 9 aspect had a 1920 X 1080 resolution, then it would be less pixels. But even that doesn't mean it would have less detail. It's all about the sensor size and quality, as well as low light response and frame rate.
The 4:3 aspect usually has a narrower field of view, so I think this is where the concern was. Obviously you can find an instance where this isn't the case, but the image will have a taller and narrower aspect than a 16:9 image. Unless the pixels aren't square.

Using only the front narrow camera? sure.

once they turn on the other cameras it'll be vastly superior to the aftermarket options for field of view coverage- it'll cover the entire car in all directions.

No argument here. I mean, there's a camera on each side of the main one. And that's just on the front. It's gonna be awesome. Honestly, I don't know why anyone is still considering an aftermarket dashcam with this news unless they want to make Russian youtube compilations.

Ok so I got my new 64GB flash drive and formatted it, created the “TeslaCam” folder at the root and also dumped a few MP3 files on there to make sure my Model 3 could read from it. I also purchased this USB 2 port hub (which doesn’t seem to be available direct from Amazon anymore): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ORPJ14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_IuQTBbQRT475D

I plugged in the USB hub to one of the front USB ports and then plugged in my phone and the flash drive. My phone was able to charge while I was playing music off of the flash drive so I’m hoping this will also work for the dash cam feature. I’ve read elsewhere that you can’t use the same flash drive for both the dash cam and music, but I don’t use a flash drive for music so that won’t be a problem for me. I mainly need this because I’ve bought a Nomad wireless charger and want to be able to charge two phones while also recording dash cam video as I’m sure many others here will do the same.

Just have to wait for version 9 to start rolling out for me to see if this setup will work...

This dude is prepared

Resolution is only part of the equation. You can have high resolution cameras that can't resolve an image for the life of them. Wide Dynamic range is also important, and the crispness of the image itself. I have been running my Vantrue N2 pro in 1080 instead of 4k. Frame-rate is higher in 1080 mode and the camera resolves images better at night. In 4k at night the images are too grainy to be useful.

I'd rather have an all situation 1080p camera that has wide dynamic range and framerate and overall sharpness than a 4k camrea that gets noise or unclear but just captures images at a higher resolution, or one that has low dynamic range.

Of course a 4k that is ultra sharp and crisp and has WDR would be ideal. Reaction time and re-focus time is also important as well as reliability. BLC and HLC would be super useful too especially if you want to get license plates at night.