Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 feature: App lets passengers control radio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll know more soon. The release notes clearly state that you can totally disable the feature in the settings if you don't like it.

I suspect they are using bluetooth or wi-fi to let nearby phones control some functions in the car. As such, you won't be providing your login credentials to allow them access. They won't be able to unlock or start the car at some later date. If they have the Bluetooth range working at 30 feet instead of just 5 feet, you could pull up beside a Tesla driving down the highway and use the Tesla app to Rickroll them ("Play never gonna give you up").

• Funny
Reactions: PoitNarf
My guess was that it was going to be linked to the Tesla App, and that people would have to be logged in to your account. This is useful for your family members, but would not be useful for most other passengers. But I could be completely wrong as well, that is just how I interpreted the feature.

Now the million dollar question - can I mess with my wife while being no where near the car or does the car need to identify the phone in the car for it to work? My wife doesn't listen to enough Rammstein!

This article on Electrek has some more info: Tesla’s new mobile app update lets you get more control over your car from your phone

It does seem possible that anyone who has mobile app access would be able to control the audio in the car whether they’re in the car or. It. Maybe there is also some Bluetooth proximity stuff in there for location verification?

You could try to turn your wife onto “Du Hast” by constantly playing it remotely but then you run the risk of her doing the same to you and changing the music to whatever pop crap your wife may listen to!

What I think would have also been a welcome addition (and something I expect in the coming months) is control of the rear heated seats via the app for backseat passengers.