TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Validating VINS

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Chewy3, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

So I noticed on the investor thread someone started to use CarFax to verify and check the vins. I discovered a free service that does similar (firstly, shows whether its a real vin or not), last reported odometer reading, Stolen, etc...

Using this I think I've narrowed down the Check Digit pattern. With a few other minds, I think we might be able to track the latest registered VIN.

Check Any VIN Free | Free VIN Check | Free VIN Decoder (There is a daily limit to searches, I wasn't counting but I think its around 10.)

I discovered the following valid vins:

5YJ3E1EA9HF001134
    5YJ3E1EA0HF001135
    5YJ3E1EABHF001136
    5YJ3E1EADHF001137
    5YJ3E1EAFHF001138

My current theory is that the Check Digit (underlined) climbs sequencially 1-9,0,B,D,E,F...every other letter, recycle the list.

Next valid VIN should be 5YJ3E1EAHHF001139

2. Chewy3

Nevermind...apparently this will show any VIN that meets the check digit requirements
    5YJ3E1EA6HF999999

Disregard any hopes of tracking new vins

• Informative x 1
  3. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

it’s just for transcription validation, not signing, nonrepudiation or authentication.

4. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I wonder if you can check with the NHTSA or car fax

5. Chewy3

5YJ3E1EA9HF001134 is the highest VIN recognized by NHTSA and CarFax.

Currently using: Alton's VIN Calculator Results to plug in ### VIN to get valid check digit, and then taking the good VIN to Recalls

If Tesla hasn't registered the VIN yet, it states "An error occurred with your request. Tesla Motors, Inc. does not recognize your VIN."

6. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

7. erthquake

erthquake Member

8. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Check digits are determined by calculation, where any alphanumeric value is assigned a number value. Numbers values remain as numbers. Then each position in the VIN is multiplied by weighted multiplier. Then these are added up and then divided by 11. The remainder is the check digit. Because of the calculation and sequential build numbers, there appears to be a pattern, but not positive it truly is a continuing consistent pattern. Would be easy to create a spreadsheet to calculate this.

Here is explanation and calculation information:
    VINcalc