Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Validating VINS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chewy3

If MacGvyer had a beard
Apr 30, 2016
San Diego
So I noticed on the investor thread someone started to use CarFax to verify and check the vins. I discovered a free service that does similar (firstly, shows whether its a real vin or not), last reported odometer reading, Stolen, etc...

Using this I think I've narrowed down the Check Digit pattern. With a few other minds, I think we might be able to track the latest registered VIN.

Check Any VIN Free | Free VIN Check | Free VIN Decoder (There is a daily limit to searches, I wasn't counting but I think its around 10.)

I discovered the following valid vins:

5YJ3E1EA9HF001134
5YJ3E1EA0HF001135
5YJ3E1EABHF001136
5YJ3E1EADHF001137
5YJ3E1EAFHF001138

My current theory is that the Check Digit (underlined) climbs sequencially 1-9,0,B,D,E,F...every other letter, recycle the list.

Next valid VIN should be 5YJ3E1EAHHF001139

I wonder if you can check with the NHTSA or car fax
5YJ3E1EA9HF001134 is the highest VIN recognized by NHTSA and CarFax.

Currently using: Alton's VIN Calculator Results to plug in ### VIN to get valid check digit, and then taking the good VIN to Recalls

If Tesla hasn't registered the VIN yet, it states "An error occurred with your request. Tesla Motors, Inc. does not recognize your VIN."

Check digits are determined by calculation, where any alphanumeric value is assigned a number value. Numbers values remain as numbers. Then each position in the VIN is multiplied by weighted multiplier. Then these are added up and then divided by 11. The remainder is the check digit. Because of the calculation and sequential build numbers, there appears to be a pattern, but not positive it truly is a continuing consistent pattern. Would be easy to create a spreadsheet to calculate this.

Here is explanation and calculation information:
VINcalc

According to CJ Pony Parts, the check digit is calculated by removing all of the letters and substituting them with their appropriate number counterparts. You then take those numbers and multiply them against a weight factor table. You then have 16 numbers which you add together and then divide by 11. The remainder is the check digit. If the remainder is 10, then the check digit is “X”.

I use this Check Digit Calculator to verify if the VIN is valid. And, if I already have a valid VIN with no issues, whatsoever, I can then run a Tesla VIN check to check to see if the car was stolen, wrecked, had any reported flood damage, issued a salvage-title, and whether there were any recalls on the vehicle.