Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain, I think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have an early 2013 Mode S that has been wonderful. However in the last few months it has started to lose range due to significant vampire drain. I scheduled a service visit, but Tesla called and said they did a review of my battery and found no issues with my battery. Said it was normal drain. I've had my car for almost 8 years and have loved it, but this is not normal drain. After call from Tesla I started logging my range and miles. Over the last month I have lost 50% or more due to vampire drain. In one 2.5 hour period, while parked, my car lost 6 miles of range. I called Tesla agin and they said to schedule another service call. I di and it is scheduled for Friday. I will take my log with me, but would love to find out if anyone else has seen the same thing with early release model S's.

Sounds like this thread:
Vampire drain, how much is normal per day or overnight?

I think they looked at the wrong thing. Most owners are so obsessed with the main battery pack, so that's what almost all the questions are about, so the techs are used to hearing that and checking that, and it reports fine, so it's fine.
But that's not where the problem lies. That battery pack IS fine. Something else is drawing excessive amounts of energy in the car, which is not the main battery's fault.
I'm fairly sure that this is something wrong in the 12V battery system. Possibly that 12V battery is failing but the car's detection isn't working to tell you about it. So the car keeps trying to refill it, but it won't take a charge so it's just wasting energy. Or maybe there is some other electronics thing that is running a lot from the 12V system, so that battery keeps running low and refilling, etc.

The drain depends on the outside temp in most conditions. The main battery pack temperature. It has to be around 70 degrees. That is kept that way by the coolant. It can be heated or cooled. U can also turn the car off and see what happens. My car is plugged in every night so I don't have that situation anymore.
Now to range my car has seen a major decrease in range. I go 50 miles to JAX alot. It used to use 52 or so miles. Now it takes 60 miles range. I also noticed a real drain at night. I turned off everything to test it. The headlights and AC do use a lot. But I did see a big drain at night. I even turned off DRL.
My battery was made in 2012. I have 165k on car. I got a warning yesterday. I was charging for trip. Car gate to 195 miles charge , it stopped. WTF? My 250 range is now 195. No use in contacting the service center, they will tell u there is nothing wrong.
Oh last month my car shutdown with 25 miles left on range. I was one mile from home. I got a rollback to take me home. Tesla ran test. """" we see nothing wrong """ he said I was too low. Idiot. I have driven home on zero miles many times. Used to be when it said zero miles in the red, we had 25 more miles left.
This really gone to hell. I feel Tesla has or is not caring about us old cars. The software updates are killing my car. Example, I was not able to super charge for 6 months, they couldn't figure it out. The technicians at SC worked on it for days, took it to super charger and called Fremont. No one could not figure it out.
I could supercharge over 30kw. Come to find out water pump was bad. I changed it. Supercharging went back to 100kw. The SC is a joke now. They are concentrated on delivery of cars. We have a tiny SC, same build for 8 yrs. But thousands of more cars to fix. No more loaners. Service really sucks here.