Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain to 0% SOC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this possible? Parked at airport for 4 days starting with 60% SOC. Went into protect mode at 20% last night, but still draining 16% with another 30 hours to go before i get back.

S75D with 46k miles, suggestions of what to do? (aside from having somebody drive it to SC)

I assume you left on Sentry mode, cabin overheat, etc?

It should slow down now that you're under 20%. Stop obsessively checking it with the app, which keeps the car awake. You should have some juice left 30 hours from now.

Though I suppose the question becomes how much do you need to get to the supercharger?

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
I assume you left on Sentry mode, cabin overheat, etc?

It should slow down now that you're under 20%. Stop obsessively checking it with the app, which keeps the car awake. You should have some juice left 30 hours from now.

Though I suppose the question becomes how much do you need to get to the supercharger?

As an aside, reported bug to Tesla when sentry kept on coming on even as I shut it off with the App. 20 miles to nearest supercharger but just 0.25 from nearest L2 thankfully

I had the same problem with Sentry mode draining the battery while I was out of town, and the car needed to be rebooted after a few days (I believe Sentry mode caused that). Since the car needed to be rebooted, I couldn’t shut off Sentry mode, or otherwise connect to the car through the app until a friend rebooted the car. Tesla Service couldn’t connect to the car during that period either.

So now, I won’t set Sentry mode to be on for long periods when I’m not around.

I was really worried about the charge dropping to zero. What do you do if that happens? Is it just having the car towed and recharged?

I had the same problem with Sentry mode draining the battery while I was out of town, and the car needed to be rebooted after a few days (I believe Sentry mode caused that). Since the car needed to be rebooted, I couldn’t shut off Sentry mode, or otherwise connect to the car through the app until a friend rebooted the car. Tesla Service couldn’t connect to the car during that period either.

So now, I won’t set Sentry mode to be on for long periods when I’m not around.

I was really worried about the charge dropping to zero. What do you do if that happens? Is it just having the car towed and recharged?
I heard that letting it go to 0% can cause permanent damage to the batteries. And sometimes people can't even start the car again - even after charging.

I heard that letting it go to 0% can cause permanent damage to the batteries. And sometimes people can't even start the car again - even after charging.
It should not do long term harm unless it is sitting at 0% for weeks. There is a anti-bricking buffer built in, you cannot use it; but would protect the battery from over discharge if it drains to 0% and the car shuts down.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan