Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver to Kelowna in M3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going on my first road trip and wanted to hear from other SR+ owners who have done this trip. Should I charge in Hope and then go all the way to Kelowna per the nav suggestion or top up in Merritt also per Better Route Planner? Which is right?

You will spend less time (and money) charging if you stop at each supercharger and only charge what you need to make it to the next one. Going to 90% or 100% unnecessarily is also not considerate if there are folks waiting to charge.
I have a LR but still try and charge at each supercharger and target the next stop with 20% remaining.

Enjoy your first road trip! I've driven Calgary - Vancouver many, many times.

I'm going on my first road trip and wanted to hear from other SR+ owners who have done this trip. Should I charge in Hope and then go all the way to Kelowna per the nav suggestion or top up in Merritt also per Better Route Planner? Which is right?

Following A Better Route Planner's advice will get you there quicker. The nav tends to have you charge too high, then skip chargers. That's usually slower than running in the 10-60% range and charging more frequently, unless the charging stops are a significant diversion off the highway.

I always charge in Merritt and have lunch at the Boston Piza there. Never seen any more than three cars charging at the same time. Going to do Penticton next week Friday to do the same (two way trip in one day).

I just did my first road trip from Vancouver to Kelowna (M3 SR+) a few days ago. I stopped at Hope and Merritt. C I left home with 90% charge and was doing approximately 130-150km/hr
My range stops are as followed:
Hope - $5.75
Merritt - $10.32
Kelowna - $12 (since we didnt have a charger at the place we stayed)
Merritt - $6.48
Hope - $7.38

We arrived Kelowna today with stops in Hope (breakfast at Rolley's) and Merritt (15 min to top up) since we wanted to do wineries when arriving. Bonus at Mission Hill, the place was packed and the only spot was at the Tesla destination charger. Score!
We also checked out the Kelowna SC which is a bit confusing. The nav had me go to the destination chargers, but the real SC's are at the North side (back) of the Best Western. Glad I have 7500 free SC KMs.

Quick update: We traveled from Penticton (at 95%) to North Vancouver with just one stop in Merritt. We charged from 43% to 94% in Merritt. Arrived North Vancouver easily with 15% left. This with some headwind on the Coq and some traffic backups along Chilliwack.
Also, very impressed with AP (V24.4) in both highway driving and in stop and go traffic in a traffic jam on the highway.

I just did a road trip from West Kelowna up to the Shuswap and back. Left home with 99% and drove to Salmon Arm, Sorrento, Blind Bay. Explored Scotch Creek and did some fly fishing on the Adams River. Reached the Quaaout Resort with 35% still left. Thought I would top up at the free charger in Chase, but had no adapter! Immediately ordered a chademo from Tesla.
My best advice is Slow Down. I had maybe 70 - 75% when passing through Kamloops heading south on the Coquihalla. Doing 127 - 130 kph left me with 35% approaching Merritt. Yikes! A short top up (to 58%) got me home with 35% left (@ 114kph). Total cost for the trip? About $25

Just did a trip to Kelowna from Burnaby this past weekend in my Model 3 LR. You can make it with just one charging stop in Merritt on the way to Kelowna, and on the way back you can stop once in Hope or Merritt. Although I do not recommend the Hope Supercharging station, not much around except a DQ and is located in an old parking lot. There is a SuperCharger in Kelowna behind the Best Western

Here are my trip notes:

I charged to 100% and ended up in Merritt with 25%, average speed was 115-120km. No faster than 130km. Ate at the Boston Pizza in Merritt while car charged to 95% which took around 45mins. Timing was perfect, car finished charging as I was paying the bill. Merritt charge station is also near a new truck stop with a Denny's, Burger King and a Oven Pizza joint good place for a longer charging stop.

Arrived in Kelowna with around 46% left. I was there for a few days so I topped up my car as the SuperCharger behind Best Westin to 90% so I can leave for Burnaby again without charging in Kelowna again.

Left Kelowna with just over 80% and topped up to 90% in Merritt to head straight home to avoid the SuperCharger in Hope.

Depending on road conditions you may want to top up to 100% in Merritt on the way home. Roads where 75% clear for me with a few sections that had compact snow conditions. Bundle up and avoid using the HVAC to conserve your battery, once cabin is heated I used seat warmers to stay warm most of the way. The seat warmer use less energy. Whole trip autopilot was used 90% of the time to keep a constant steady speed. I only drove in the city and took over to pass only a few cars on the highway.

Just completed a trip (June 2020) to Kelowna in my SR+. Close to 900 pounds of passengers and gear (4 x adults, booze, supplies etc).
Left Langley @80% charge.
Had to stop in hope for a 6 min supercharge
Then stopped in Merrit for dinner and a 95% supercharge.
Arrived Kelowna with about 40% left.
Return we had an inch of snow on the connector.
Left kelowna @ 85% and reached Merritt supercharger with 20% left.
Charged to 85% and made it to Langley with 5% left. (driving 10 or 20 km over the limit all the way)

Reactions: fidodido and jbolli
You still had snow in June ? Did you have snow tires on or all season? I’m planning to do my trip next month in July with my 3 Performance and those only have summer on them so I don’t know if I should get some all season for this drive now

You still had snow in June ? Did you have snow tires on or all season? I’m planning to do my trip next month in July with my 3 Performance and those only have summer on them so I don’t know if I should get some all season for this drive now

We've been having record low temperatures lately (the high was 12 degrees on Sunday). You should be fine in July, as we should be back up to the high 20's- 30's by then (we'll be there this weekend).

I was lurking the forum before picking up our Model 3 SR+ on Sunday in Vancouver. Yesterday we charged in hope to 95%, drove pretty efficient as range was a concern as the app was saying there was an issue with the charger in Merritt. Drove around 100-110kph most the way, exterior temp was around 21C and interior was the same with the AC on. Got home to West Kelowna at 28%. I was worried about getting home without a merrit stop but on our first "road trip" the car was totally fine. Just thought I would share in the event anyone else is in the same situation. Coming down the from the Pennask summit is about 30km of downhill, gained 4% during that stretch. Pretty pleased so far with the performance!

Just completed a trip (June 2020) to Kelowna in my SR+. Close to 900 pounds of passengers and gear (4 x adults, booze, supplies etc).
Left Langley @80% charge.
Had to stop in hope for a 6 min supercharge
Then stopped in Merrit for dinner and a 95% supercharge.
Arrived Kelowna with about 40% left.
Return we had an inch of snow on the connector.
Left kelowna @ 85% and reached Merritt supercharger with 20% left.
Charged to 85% and made it to Langley with 5% left. (driving 10 or 20 km over the limit all the way)

Did the Tesla navigation tell you to skip Merritt? A better route planner and Tesla navigation is saying Merritt is reduced service. Was planning a trip soon but worried about having to charge to 100% at hope as per the Tesla navigation / ABRP

I was lurking the forum before picking up our Model 3 SR+ on Sunday in Vancouver. Yesterday we charged in hope to 95%, drove pretty efficient as range was a concern as the app was saying there was an issue with the charger in Merritt. Drove around 100-110kph most the way, exterior temp was around 21C and interior was the same with the AC on. Got home to West Kelowna at 28%. I was worried about getting home without a merrit stop but on our first "road trip" the car was totally fine. Just thought I would share in the event anyone else is in the same situation. Coming down the from the Pennask summit is about 30km of downhill, gained 4% during that stretch. Pretty pleased so far with the performance!

Did you check in at Merritt at all?

Did the Tesla navigation tell you to skip Merritt? A better route planner and Tesla navigation is saying Merritt is reduced service. Was planning a trip soon but worried about having to charge to 100% at hope as per the Tesla navigation / ABRP

Did you check in at Merritt at all?
Hello, we did not, the app was just saying it had limited function. On some other forums I read that 2 of the chargers were not giving proper speed and were useless. Sorry I do not have more information.

Sorry I cannot figure how to edit my post above, the ABRP did show a stop in Merrit, but the tesla navigation just told us to go straight home as there was an issue. I was happy so skip as we really did not run low on power and got home just fine. I hope that helps. If you drive fairly conservative you should be fine. I think from Hope to home we averaged around 145 WH/KM, admittedly it was much higher before the 30km downhill run from the pennask summit on the connector.

• Disagree
Reactions: Muno