Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Connection Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for reply. Mobile service came and the car will only connect to WiFi 2.4 not 5.0. That was the problem. All well now!

Are you saying that the MS person told you that the car only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi or that the 5 GHz signal was too weak/the interference too great for it to reliably work? My car is connected to my 5 GHz WiFi network and works fine, although my car is within 8 feet of my router and with no walls interfering with the signal.

You could try moving your router (assuming it supports 5 Ghz) closer to your car or putting in a WiFi booster if you want to get a 5 Ghz WiFi connection.

Hi everyone,

Having problems connecting the app to my phone. It spins for a while then shows vehicle connection error. This happens on both my phone and my wife's so it appears to be a car issue.

I tried:

Rebooting the car
Rebooting the car with brake
Powering off the car and restarting
Re-installing the app on my phone

any suggestions? I opened a ticket with tesla several hours ago but no response yet.

Yes I’m having the same issue. Went to my car this am and the WiFi works but the 3G service (older model not upgraded) was not showing up which it has religiously since I have owned the car. In fact the bars were struck through as if there was no signal. It’s not that there isn’t a signal it’s always worked for me at this location or anywhere near. The WiFi connects to my home while in the garage. Not sure what the issue is. Will try rebooting the car but pushing the two rotating buttons and see if that works. I have an update planned tonight after I get home. I hope it’s resolved by then. But then it should be ok because I’m in WiFi then.

Hi everyone,

Having problems connecting the app to my phone. It spins for a while then shows vehicle connection error. This happens on both my phone and my wife's so it appears to be a car issue.

I tried:

Rebooting the car
Rebooting the car with brake
Powering off the car and restarting
Re-installing the app on my phone

any suggestions? I opened a ticket with tesla several hours ago but no response yet.
Hi Everybody,

Having tried to reset the car several times without success I came across another very easy way to reestablish connection to the car (works on iPhone / iPad at least): go to the Notifications on your phone (swipe down from the top) and click on any notification received from your car. For some reason that seems to help the phone to reestablish contact. Hope that helps!

- P.

Hi Everybody,

Having tried to reset the car several times without success I came across another very easy way to reestablish connection to the car (works on iPhone / iPad at least): go to the Notifications on your phone (swipe down from the top) and click on any notification received from your car. For some reason that seems to help the phone to reestablish contact. Hope that helps!

- P.

This did not work for me. What did work was one of the following things, or perhaps a combination of those: soft rebooting the car (by pressing both steering wheel buttons), disabling and reenabling mobile access, deleting the one available (sometimes spotty) WiFi connection, and tapping on the LTE symbol when suddenly it appeared crossed out (tapping it resulted in regaining good signal). I’ve had the car for three days now, and this problem has occurred twice, always after a night’s sleep (with the car charging).

Same problem yesterday (Model Y). Using the app to lower the cabin temperature while charging from 105 to 85. App stopped connecting. After charging was finished bluetooth worked fine but cell connection still unavailable. Two button reboot of the car fixed it.

I was having the same problem with "vehicle connection error". I read in Tesla's forum that someone did the following:
1.Log out and back into the mobile app (iPhone)
2. Did a soft boot (pressed both scroll wheels simultaneously on the wheel without the brake being pressed, until the console screen goes blank) and waited for completion - last screen visible, depending on what you were doing last.
3. On the main screen menu, I choose [I think] Privacy and Security (the second from the bottom.)
4. Turned off Mobile access at the bottom of the screen.
5. On the phone, I tried reconnecting until it said "Mobile Access Unavailable"
6. Turned the Mobile access on the console screen back on.
7. On the phone, I tried reconnecting again, and it worked.

These steps worked for me.

I think step 4 and on would have worked.
I did your steps too and now my app (iPhone) connected. Magically my iPad also connected once I logged it back on too.
"something' scewy goin on".....