Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to add new vehicle to my Tesla account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I just bought my first Tesla yesterday (2020 model 3 performance) and I created an account on the Tesla app and attempted to add my car to my account.
After renaming the vehicle to match the app and hitting next I receive an error saying I need to make sure my car is connected to LTE or WiFi.
I’ve tried every combination I can think of: home WiFi, my phones hotspot, LTE, phone on WiFi, phone off WiFi, logging in and out of the app, reinstalling the app, rebooting the car, etc.
Anyone have any inside how to fix this?? If not I’ll be calling Tesla’s support tomorrow.

Note: my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth and both the app and car are up to date with the latest updates and software.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1937.png
    IMG_1937.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: Vector2
Solution
Since you just got the car that doesn’t sounds new, did you submit the paperwork to prove your ownership?

Maybe Tesla's server needs to have your ownership record so you can alter your car's name.
That could be. I wasn’t able to get far enough into the process to even submit the paperwork yet.
Hey all, I just bought my first Tesla yesterday (2020 model 3 performance) and I created an account on the Tesla app and attempted to add my car to my account.
After renaming the vehicle to match the app and hitting next I receive an error saying I need to make sure my car is connected to LTE or WiFi.
I’ve tried every combination I can think of: home WiFi, my phones hotspot, LTE, phone on WiFi, phone off WiFi, logging in and out of the app, reinstalling the app, rebooting the car, etc.
Anyone have any inside how to fix this?? If not I’ll be calling Tesla’s support tomorrow.

Note: my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth and both the app and car are up to date with the latest updates and software.

Thanks!
The LTE that it wants is not your phone.

The car needs to connect to:

LTE signal that's paid by Tesla. It's automatic if there's no Wifi.

Or

Wifi from your home.

The purpose is to connect your car with the mothership, Tesla server.

Upvote 0

Or

Wifi from your home.

Or

Wifi from your home.

Thats what I thought. I tried with WiFi off and It shows that the car is connected to LTE but still no luck.

Upvote 0
Good to know it doesn’t like 5g WiFi. Even with LTE though there’s still no luck.

You may have to contact Tesla and provide ownership documents. This Tesla web page describes various scenarios:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Thanks!
Just bumping the thread because I'm having the same problem after buying a MXP from a third party. Doesn't matter if I connect to Wi-Fi or LTE- keep getting the same error as OP

Upvote 0