Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle may not restart message: what to do?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks!
The recall upgrade to MCU2 happened 4 months ago, but the Instrument cluster had been iffy for months prior to that….occasionally remaining black when I opened the door in the morning. I would have to reboot. It never went black while driving then, but started that when I first got the alerts about the 12v battery.
I thought the IC problem was connected to the 12v battery problem.

Apparently not.

So the $1500 upgrade seems to be the way to go.
Thanks

Thanks!
The recall upgrade to MCU2 happened 4 months ago, but the Instrument cluster had been iffy for months prior to that….occasionally remaining black when I opened the door in the morning. I would have to reboot. It never went black while driving then, but started that when I first got the alerts about the 12v battery.
I thought the IC problem was connected to the 12v battery problem.

Apparently not.

So the $1500 upgrade seems to be the way to go.
Thanks
the more people opt for the $1500 "upgrade", the less likely tsla will ever offer the MCU2 replacement as the solution for the faulty MCU1. Why do a recall properly when your customers are willing to pay for it.

2014 Model S P85 with 62K miles. "vehicle may not restart". originally they diagnosed as "water ingress" and gave me a quote of $7600 to replace the rear drive motor. After sitting at Tesla for 10 days they changed the diagnosis to battery heater pump. Invoice shows

Part number MDL S, DM, THERM, SYS, ELECT BATT HEATER (1038901-00-K) at $445.

2014 Model S P85 with 62K miles. "vehicle may not restart". originally they diagnosed as "water ingress" and gave me a quote of $7600 to replace the rear drive motor. After sitting at Tesla for 10 days they changed the diagnosis to battery heater pump. Invoice shows

I guess that's better...? but alarming how random and off their diagnoses can be.

Hey dwavo, I just started getting an alert:

GTW_w026
Service is Required
Schedule service

Did you happen to get that at all before you got the "vehicle may not start" message?

Just curious because I just inquired about it thru the SC app, and they're claiming it's the MDL S, DM, THERM, SYS, ELECT BATT HEATER (1038901-00-K) or the wiring at my touch screen. What? those things don't seem even remotely related.
$880 quote