Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle visualizations not showing up on screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

My vehicle visualizations are not showing up on my screen. I can see my own car and everything else ( stop signs, traffic lights, lanes, etc), but not other vehicles. I first noticed this on my drive home from the delivery center. I am using the latest software, with 15 miles on the odometer. I have done the screen reboot with no success.

My rear bumper was replaced prior to taking delivery, maybe something was installed incorrectly?

Any other settings I am missing??

Reactions: MHATB FLA
Took delivery yesterday… I’m now 80 miles on the odo and very little shows up on the screen with the model 3 and speedometer.

No other cars, no stoplights. But there are road marker solid lines and dotted lines.

Do I need to reset something?

Edit, I did not pay for FSD and it is not activated… but the “about” screen says I have the FSD computer. No error messages appear and sentry mode seems to be working ok.

Last edited:
Blah... got to 100 miles and still no change on the display. Guess I gotta put a ticket in.

I think calibration has taken longer than that for some, but I dont know what is supposed to show up when you dont have FSD activated, since I have FSD.

Before you submit that ticket, you might also want to check which firmware version you are on. The "factory" firmware versions dont have all the fancy visualizations.

Factory firmware versions usually have some 3 digit number in the third octet (like 2021.3.106.X). If you are on a factory firmware, you will have to wait till it updates to one of the newer branch versions, and that could be a couple days to a few weeks, with no rhyme or reason as to why some get updated faster than others from those factory versions.

I think calibration has taken longer than that for some, but I dont know what is supposed to show up when you dont have FSD activated, since I have FSD.

Before you submit that ticket, you might also want to check which firmware version you are on. The "factory" firmware versions dont have all the fancy visualizations.

Factory firmware versions usually have some 3 digit number in the third octet (like 2021.3.106.X). If you are on a factory firmware, you will have to wait till it updates to one of the newer branch versions, and that could be a couple days to a few weeks, with no rhyme or reason as to why some get updated faster than others from those factory versions.

Hmmm considering me the n00biest n00b since I have no clue what things are supposed to look like... here's what it shows right now.

Also, we tried to test the emergency lane departure avoidance by just not touching the steering wheel and watching the car go well across some solid yellow line but absolutely nothing happened until we steered the car back to the normal roadway. Yes, the setting for auto lane departure whatevers has that blue toggle activated.

1629153583347.png

1629153632468.png

Thats one of the factory firmwares I am almost positive 2021.3.106.X

But since it says I'm up to date through Aug 16, how do I force an update? The loaner P3 we tried had all the cool visualizations and and helped my wife with the lane changes. The neighbors who don't have FSD all say there are supposed to be silhouettes of surrounding cars and trucks even without FSD while driving normally.

But since it says I'm up to date through Aug 16, how do I force an update? The loaner P3 we tried had all the cool visualizations and and helped my wife with the lane changes. The neighbors who don't have FSD all say there are supposed to be silhouettes of surrounding cars and trucks even without FSD while driving normally.

You dont (force an update), it just happens when its going to happen.

You dont (force an update), it just happens when its going to happen.

This sounds like PG&E PTO Purgatory all over again 😰. Maybe the P3 knows my main service panel + powerwalls may not conform with the NEC 120 percent rule and technically the Model 3 is parked within 48 inches of my main gas riser on the opposite side of the garage wall 🤢

This sounds like PG&E PTO Purgatory all over again 😰. Maybe the P3 knows my main service panel + powerwalls may not conform with the NEC 120 percent rule and technically the Model 3 is parked within 48 inches of my main gas riser on the opposite side of the garage wall 🤢

Lmao.....

FWIW this is a very common question ("how do I get the latest firmware?!?! I am not on the latest one, why is that?") etc. Rather than pointing you to one of those threads, I figured I would just save you some time and let you know that:

1. Its normal for cars to be delivered with a specific factory firmware versino.
2. those versions do not have all features you might have seen on test drive cars
3. Cars update sometime between a couple days and a few weeks after being delivered / picked up
4. There is no real rhyme or reason to why a car is on some version or another of the update fork
5. Not every car gets every single update.

With all that being said, the average time a vehicle tends to stay on a firmware version for most people is around 20 days or so between updates, so you wont typically have to wait "that" long. You can go down the google hole on how to force an update, but I will preemptively tell you that all those methods have either been debunked, or are no longer accurate.

You dont have to keep your car on wifi to get notified you have a pending update (it will show on screen). Driving to a service center and connecting to their wifi will only work if an update is staged for you. Contacting tesla and requesting an update will usually just get what is staged (if anything) for your vehicle.

TL ; DR is " you just gotta wait" (lol).

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
Lmao.....

FWIW this is a very common question ("how do I get the latest firmware?!?! I am not on the latest one, why is that?") etc. Rather than pointing you to one of those threads, I figured I would just save you some time and let you know that:

1. Its normal for cars to be delivered with a specific factory firmware versino.
2. those versions do not have all features you might have seen on test drive cars
3. Cars update sometime between a couple days and a few weeks after being delivered / picked up
4. There is no real rhyme or reason to why a car is on some version or another of the update fork
5. Not every car gets every single update.

With all that being said, the average time a vehicle tends to stay on a firmware version for most people is around 20 days or so between updates, so you wont typically have to wait "that" long. You can go down the google hole on how to force an update, but I will preemptively tell you that all those methods have either been debunked, or are no longer accurate.

You dont have to keep your car on wifi to get notified you have a pending update (it will show on screen). Driving to a service center and connecting to their wifi will only work if an update is staged for you. Contacting tesla and requesting an update will usually just get what is staged (if anything) for your vehicle.

TL ; DR is " you just gotta wait" (lol).

Lololol thanks for the extra detail. I'm not sure what to tell my wife though. She didn't believe me when I said "just wait" on the solar, so I think I have zero cred with her on waiting now. Will prob just need to submit a ticket since she tried to call their help phone line and never got through.

But... I don't remember ever setting up the car's wifi connection. Need to look further tonight...

Lololol thanks for the extra detail. I'm not sure what to tell my wife though. She didn't believe me when I said "just wait" on the solar, so I think I have zero cred with her on waiting now. Will prob just need to submit a ticket since she tried to call their help phone line and never got through.

But... I don't remember ever setting up the car's wifi connection. Need to look further tonight...

You will need to be on wifi to download any update (except for ones tesla deems "critical", those will download over cellular data). You dont need to be connected to wifi to get the notification that you have an update, but you will need to be connected to download said update.

You will need to be on wifi to download any update (except for ones tesla deems "critical", those will download over cellular data). You dont need to be connected to wifi to get the notification that you have an update, but you will need to be connected to download said update.

Lol so two things ... in the owners manual you need to search for "wi-fi" instead of "wifi". There are no search results for "wifi".

Next, the LTE logo on the screen is the one you tap to connect to your home wifi. Tapping these logos doesn't do jack-all of anything on my phone, so I didn't connect that these were UI interface elements on the car. Anyway thanks to RTFM the car's connected to my home wifi.

I'm leaving the squirrel up as my avatar until the nut-powers channel the firmware upgrade to ballerize the driving screen.

Tesla Visualizations not showing other vehicles on my screen, only my vehicle is appearing on left side of screen. Can anyone help? Are there certain settings? When I picked up the Model 3 a few weeks ago, it was working fine. My current software is 2021.3.104. Thank you for the assistance.