Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Was Sent to the Wrong Location (Delivery Delayed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor on March 17, 2019. I'm now on my third delivery date, June 28, 2019. I was told that the latest delay was due to my vehicle being delivered to the wrong location.

Timeline:

March 17: Ordered the Model 3.
March 22: Delivery date scheduled for March 28.
May 23: My designated Model 3 is produced.
May 24: Delivery date is scheduled for June 14.
June 10: Delivery date is scheduled June 28.

While I've been waiting...

Tesla says they are not going to close their delivery centers.
Tesla raises the price of the Model 3.
Tesla lowers the price of the Model 3.
Tesla includes Model 3's Autopilot as standard.
Tesla raises the price of the Model 3's "Full Self Driving" option.
Tesla removes the Model 3's Mobile Connector's NEMA 14-50 adaptor as standard.
Tesla removes the Model 3's HomeLink controller as standard.

I think Telsa could seriously improve their logistical operations. Perhaps the vehicles could be built based on "sold orders", that is, orders which already have buyers, as do other automobile manufacturers. Ideally, the vehicles should be sent to the correct delivery center. Given that there are few configuration options, I can't imagine this is an impossibility.

Otherwise, I'm concerned as to the whereabouts of my designated Model 3 over the month period it was in the "wrong location".

I ordered a Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor on March 17, 2019. I'm now on my third delivery date, June 28, 2019. I was told that the latest delay was due to my vehicle being delivered to the wrong location.

Timeline:

March 17: Ordered the Model 3.
March 22: Delivery date scheduled for March 28.
May 23: My designated Model 3 is produced.
May 24: Delivery date is scheduled for June 14.
June 10: Delivery date is scheduled June 28.

While I've been waiting...

Tesla says they are not going to close their delivery centers.
Tesla raises the price of the Model 3.
Tesla lowers the price of the Model 3.
Tesla includes Model 3's Autopilot as standard.
Tesla raises the price of the Model 3's "Full Self Driving" option.
Tesla removes the Model 3's Mobile Connector's NEMA 14-50 adaptor as standard.
Tesla removes the Model 3's HomeLink controller as standard.

I think Telsa could seriously improve their logistical operations. Perhaps the vehicles could be built based on "sold orders", that is, orders which already have buyers, as do other automobile manufacturers. Ideally, the vehicles should be sent to the correct delivery center. Given that there are few configuration options, I can't imagine this is an impossibility.

Otherwise, I'm concerned as to the whereabouts of my designated Model 3 over the month period it was in the "wrong location".

Ask the delivery advisor to ping the car and find out where it was and how many miles it has on it now.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
As frustrating as Tesla logistics are it's all forgiven when you take delivery. The amount of people frustrated with everything before delivery is quite a lot. I think a lot of this has to do with the excitement of owning a Tesla and the world of instant gratification we live. Trust me, I was that person for my first model 3 back in November 2018 when I was doubtful it would arrive before the end of the year. In my case they delivered it in 2 weeks instead of the 8 they promised. I'd keep looking for an in stock vehicle and you might find what you want before the end of the month. If you do, the logistics hell you faced will be forgotten

Also, what configuration did you order?

• Informative
Wait, no more 14-50? I guess I better order it...
Tesla no longer includes the NEMA 14-50 adaptor, though they did when I ordered in March. I purchased one from the online Tesla store. Obviously, I no longer need it.

Also, what configuration did you order?
I ordered a Long Range Dual Motor with the Red Multi-Coat exterior, Black and White interior, and 19" Sport Wheels.

• Informative
Tesla no longer includes the NEMA 14-50 adaptor, though they did when I ordered in March. I purchased one from the online Tesla store. Obviously, I no longer need it.

I ordered a Long Range Dual Motor with the Red Multi-Coat exterior, Black and White interior, and 19" Sport Wheels.

I ordered this exact build on the 14th and it was set to ship out tomorrow. I switched to an in stock white on white instead. Keep any eye out the may be making several in that configuration.

Just ask the delivery center and they'll put give you the 14-50 adapter and phone cables. Mine is.

• Informative
I cancelled my order.

That's too bad. I can understand your frustration over the wait. I will say the vast majority of people end up feeling the car is well worth the wait although the pre-delivery stuff can be frustrating.

If you were following the TMC threads for a while you'd know that first month of each quarter is spent building cars for overseas (Europe and China and now maybe elsewhere with new markets opened recently). Production runs are also based on certain configurations being produced at one time for efficiency and done so at a certain number, so maybe only X blue cars are produced for a period of time before they move onto another color/config. Sounds like when you ordered your car mid-March they thought you'd be assigned one from the ones available at the time. VINs don't get assigned until the week or few days before delivery. Since your delivery got pushed back until June, I suspect they had more demand for that color/config than they had produced and U.S. cars in your config didn't restart production until sometime in mid-May. Being you're not in Calif near the factory, I could understand the rescheduling of transport east for the 6/28 date. I'm kind of surprised you would cancel now given that I'm sure you'd get it before end of 2nd quarter (they go all out to make the end of quarter deliveries if at all possible) and get the current federal credit. Were you in a pinch for a car right now that you couldn't wait another two weeks?

So curious what you will do now. I think if you find another inventory car in your specs that's already near where you live you could go that route.

FWIW I have a LR AWD MC pearl white black interior 19-inch slipstream which was delivered on 9/23/18. Deposit back on 8/26/17 so like a year earlier. Went through 3 delivery date attempts by email and finally got my VIN assigned for the last one. Could not be happier with my car. Love driving it. Best car I've ever bought. My husband bought his MS back in 2017 and I was a bit wary about going all electric but have no regrets and glad I didn't miss out of getting the one I have now. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Yeah the wait, anticipation and communication can be tough to go through but it does end and then the driving starts. :D

I asked my delivery advisor and was told that I would not receive an adaptor.
That was incorrect. People who ordered their car during the period when adapters were listed as standard are given the adapter (because, y'know, not doing so is ILLEGAL). The delivery centers are quite capable of checking order dates and telling whether you're "owed" an adapter or not.

Knowing their logistics. I bet if you reordered you would get one in a week or even same day. The reason I say that they are showing 24 Model 3s in stock just in south Florida, 46 in the state. I think they shipping cars to high volume service centers for quarter end/tax credit.

I plan to buy a gasoline-powered competitor.

Hopefully, Tesla will mature further and I'll consider them again.
Buying your last gas car is a conservative move. It does make sense. Perhaps best due to your current frustration level. Tesla is weird! Nevertheless,the Model 3 is spectacular. I have had mine a year with zero issues. I drove a gas Honda last week and hated it.