Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ventilation only on driver side when no passenger present

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear community
I have two Model 3 Performance. One is a 2020 with resistive heating and the other is a 2021 with heatpump.
Both are up to date on the software side of things.
There are a lot of differences between the cars though.
For example, the 2021 is usually very precise in calculating the SoC at arrival, while the 2020 adjusts continuously during the trip and is completely untrustworthy in its predictions.
To the topic at hand though: the 2021 will turn off ventilation on the passenger side of the car and remove the related controls from the screen when no passenger is in the car. The 2020 will not do that, I found no option to activate nor anything I tried had any impact.
Is there a technical difference between the cars that allow the selective ventilation on 2021s but not on 2020s?
Thanks!

To the topic at hand though: the 2021 will turn off ventilation on the passenger side of the car and remove the related controls from the screen when no passenger is in the car. The 2020 will not do that, I found no option to activate nor anything I tried had any impact.
Is there a technical difference between the cars that allow the selective ventilation on 2021s but not on 2020s?
Thanks!

My 22 M3 LR does that. Passenger side ventilation is on when no one is sitting there. I thought I may have touched something for that to happen because I did see the passenger side turned off in the past. Perhaps there is someone here that knows if the passenger side can be turned off manually.

since 2021 model 3 can turn off one side as needed.
The 2020 performance i think is unique in that it has a different rated range and as such probably doesnt play as nice with the software for range estimates... heat pump cars also have a lot more rated range but in practice lose %SOC at the same rate as older cars with same battery size. As such you see rated range drop much faster.

In my observational experience. The passenger on or off is dependent of the workload required. If your climate settings are not enough to keep the cabin at a certain temp with just the driver side running it will engage the passenger side on or off on it's own. I believe this was to help conserve power. None of this is specifically known. Just my observations when operating the vehicle.

2023 Model 3 RWD.

In my observational experience. The passenger on or off is dependent of the workload required. If your climate settings are not enough to keep the cabin at a certain temp with just the driver side running it will engage the passenger side on or off on it's own. I believe this was to help conserve power. None of this is specifically known. Just my observations when operating the vehicle.

2023 Model 3 RWD.

afaik you can still manually turn it off or on. but you have a 2023 model 3. Pre 2022 model 3s do not have the ability to turn the passenger ventilation off or on.

2023 Model 3 RWD.

Borrowed this image from Zacster's post.

The below image shows the climate is activated on the driver side and deactivated on the passenger side. The car is in drive, traveling at 12 mph.

When I start off in my car, with climate turned off and no passenger, the driver side temperature displays the same as in the image but is dimmed. When I activate climate, the drivers temperature brightens, but in my car, the passenger side temperature appears and air blows from the passenger and driver side vents.

This happens when outside temperatures are moderate and climate is not especially stressed.

My car is a 2022 M3 LR.

e9821524-d6f2-4aa7-82c6-be5e89e2b300_1_105_c-jpeg.934776

Seems like one can no longer change passenger controls if there is no passenger. Does that mean it will always be off (i.e. ignore passenger settings)? What happens if my wife turned the heat way up on the weekend. Do I get roasted the rest of the week? I am on an older FSDb build, so can't test myself.

I haven't gotten that update yet but I was under the impression that it would only suppress the display of the passenger side temp if nobody is sitting there. There would still be air coming out of that vent even if it's driver only.

I have heard folks say that there must be a passenger on that side, but that's never been my experience. However, I do have a 2018 so maybe that came later but I've reached over on occasion to see if I felt any air coming from my passenger vent when it's just me on the car and there's definitely airflow.

I haven't gotten that update yet but I was under the impression that it would only suppress the display of the passenger side temp if nobody is sitting there. There would still be air coming out of that vent even if it's driver only.

I have heard folks say that there must be a passenger on that side, but that's never been my experience. However, I do have a 2018 so maybe that came later but I've reached over on occasion to see if I felt any air coming from my passenger vent when it's just me on the car and there's definitely airflow.
I have a 2022 Model S. On the weekends my wife likes to blast heat on her side, i.e. we split the heat control. Then during the week when she is not in the car the heat continues to blast out on her side. I normally just reduce the temperature for the passenger back to "normal". However if that control is now hidden I will need to pop open the control for driver, and unsplit the control in order to reduce her side. Then next time she gets in the car she is going to push the heat up, and cook both of us. I will then need to split it again, etc. etc. What a pain!

I have a 2022 Model S. On the weekends my wife likes to blast heat on her side, i.e. we split the heat control. Then during the week when she is not in the car the heat continues to blast out on her side. I normally just reduce the temperature for the passenger back to "normal". However if that control is now hidden I will need to pop open the control for driver, and unsplit the control in order to reduce her side. Then next time she gets in the car she is going to push the heat up, and cook both of us. I will then need to split it again, etc. etc. What a pain!
This is exactly why I wish Tesla would allow us to set up certain things when the Easy Exit Profile is used. The moment I put my car in park and take off the seat belt the Easy Exit profile kicks in. I would love to have it always, 1. Turn off the Lights, Turn off the AC, and Pause the Music. Etc etc.

Reactions: Mark II

Seems like one can no longer change passenger controls if there is no passenger. Does that mean it will always be off (i.e. ignore passenger settings)? What happens if my wife turned the heat way up on the weekend. Do I get roasted the rest of the week? I am on an older FSDb build, so can't test myself.
To turn on the passenger side vent (when nobody is sitting in the passenger seat), open the climate controls and tap the passenger side dash on the screen. The A/C on the passenger side will then activate.

To turn on the passenger side vent (when nobody is sitting in the passenger seat), open the climate controls and tap the passenger side dash on the screen. The A/C on the passenger side will then activate.
For me it's about turning down the heat on passenger side, when there is no passenger, by simply clicking the "-" button on the screen to reduce the temp on passenger side, which is what I currently do. I can do it easily while driving and barely looking. Now I need to start popping up controls, looking for split button, etc. etc.

This is exactly why I wish Tesla would allow us to set up certain things when the Easy Exit Profile is used. The moment I put my car in park and take off the seat belt the Easy Exit profile kicks in. I would love to have it always, 1. Turn off the Lights, Turn off the AC, and Pause the Music. Etc etc.
Perhaps if there is no passenger it should revert to non split, and then when it detects a passenger again it reverts to whatever was the last split setting. That would be ideal. At least for me.