Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Shaky/ Bumpy Ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounded like good advice. I took the car into the service center today. They did a test drive and later a visual inspection. They said it’s “normal” and “working as designed”, and the car is “stiff” because it’s “sporty”. (They also checked the tire pressure & tread.)

No amount of arguing that it's the worst-riding car I’ve had and the kids in the back don’t want to take this car on trips made them reconsider.

Looks like coilovers next.
If you have a forum member living close to you and have pre-refresh alloy wheels (19 or 20") without the run flats, I think you should try swapping his alloys onto yours and see if the problem goes away. By all means buy him a drink or pay him for his time, but it would be hell lot cheaper before going for coilovers.

If you have a forum member living close to you and have pre-refresh alloy wheels (19 or 20") without the run flats, I think you should try swapping his alloys onto yours and see if the problem goes away.

My car is a 2019-March Model 3 SR+, one of the earliest SR+ cars Tesla sold. I don't think it has run-flat tires. Plenty of people on these forums don't like the jiggly/bumpy ride, and run-flat tires entered the discussion just this year.

It seems like there is a difference between harshness from hard tires (also related to the suggestions of lowering tire pressure) vs. the suspension system going into oscillations (jiggling on mostly good roads) and gross swings (rear-car-roaller-coaster feel for backseaters on bad roads).

Reactions: Tranceporter
As an update, a member on M3 facebook group was selling his 20" pre-refresh performance. I swapped them today, and he vibrations have mostly gone away. So either my alloys came bent from the factory, or the Michelins on the 20's are better than the hankooks. That being said, the vibrations still exist, but they are at a level where I can drive without getting pins and needles in my palms.

I took delivery 4 weeks ago of a M3P with 20” Überturbine+ pirelli P Zero. Of the 4 wheels, three is bent /oval and one o these is very much out of balance(all three out of balance due to not being round any more). I had bad shaking due to this when i took delivery. But you dont notice until you leave so...did only drive 10miles before changing to winter tyres. These three wheels need to be changed to new, because the rims are bent way more than the runout that can be accepted. I guess, of the hundreds of thousands of model 3 I would be very unlucky if I was the only one that got bent wheel rims during 2020...

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hi everyone
I bought a new tesla model 3 SR+ on Thursday March 12 2020. I was extremely excited about the car as I have been following Tesla for a few years and totally support the mission.
After years of thinking about it I finally took the plunge and bought the Model 3.
At first everything seemed great, the autpoilot is amazing the acceleration is crazy and car looks fantastic.
However after two days I started noticing how shaky the car is. The roads near me are not great but are not that bad.
The car shakes non stop feels like there is no suspension. Even on good roads I can feel the road. My old Honda Civic had a much better ride than this.
I tried calling Tesla to return the car and they said it cannot be returned as I have already taken the rebate. Please note no one informed me about this while signing the document.

Are you guys experiencing such issues with you car, or is it only me. I have fixed an appointment with them for next week so hoping for the best.

Please share your experience with the car as well.

Thanks
I totally agree with you
This is the same experience I have had since I bought my Tesla 2 weeks ago
Very noisy very rough and bumpy
Good ride only when the raid is smoith
Never had this kind of ride on my nowv14 year old E class Merc
Acceleration is good
Drive is smooth but the ride is bumpy and not what I expected from. £50000 car
I won’t buy it again

I totally agree with you
This is the same experience I have had since I bought my Tesla 2 weeks ago
Very noisy very rough and bumpy
Good ride only when the raid is smoith
Never had this kind of ride on my nowv14 year old E class Merc
Acceleration is good
Drive is smooth but the ride is bumpy and not what I expected from. £50000 car
I won’t buy it again

An "E class merc" is not nearly in the same category as a model 3, regardless of the cost.

One persons "rough" is another persons " sporty " I hate the way e class mercs ride, they feel like riding on floaty pillows to me. Obviously its different for you, and thats fine. I always get "sporty suspensions" with every car I get. My wifes X3 has the adjustable suspension and whenever I get in her car I adjust it to the sport settings.

The model 3 is a sports sedan and an E class is not (in most iterations anyway), its a luxury sedan. Model 3s are not Luxury cars (nothing tesla makes is a luxury vehicle, regardless of the price).

I recently bought a Tesla model 3
I find the ride very bumpy . i am not enjoying the ride although the drive is good in terms of acceleration and braking etc.
Compared to my 14 year old E class Merc I am really disappointed. It is very noisy too and can feel the speed after 60 MPH
I think it has been hyped too much
Will not buy again. Have to live with it till I buy another car
Do not recommend it if you are looking for a silent and smooth ride
I am worried it may give me a back ache

(moderator note: post moved from a separately created thread to this one on same topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a Tesla model 3
I find the ride very bumpy . i am not enjoying the ride although the drive is good in terms of acceleration and braking etc.
Compared to my 14 year old E class Merc I am really disappointed. It is very noisy too and can feel the speed after 60 MPH
I think it has been hyped too much
Will not buy again. Have to live with it till I buy another car
Do not recommend it if you are looking for a silent and smooth ride
I am worried it may give me a back ache

(moderator note: post moved from a separately created thread to this one on same topic)
You could fit more comfortable suspension to it. The issue with the Model 3 is the damping. We will be releasing a new coilover kit for the Model 3 quite soon designed to improve the ride and handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.