Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibrating steering wheel when retracting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi anyone have any experience with the steering wheel vibrating and making a grinding noise when retracting? I don’t want to involve Tesla service as I’ve been to them too often and I don’t want to drive out there and drive a loaner vehicle for a few days. I’d rather solve the issue myself.

See video:

Had the exact issue. Drove the 4 hour round trip to the nearest SC and they adjusted something on the steering column trim. The fix lasted about 48 hours before the noise returned worse than ever. At that point I decided just to disable the retracting function and only have the steering wheel lift up instead.

Don't pull or push on the steering wheel in any direction (eg using it as a "handle" when getting in and out, or bracing your body weight on it while repositioning yourself in the driver seat). Only rotate (normal driving). That won't fix the problem but it might keep it from getting worse.

Motorized columns just don't have the robustness/durability of a fixed or manually-adjustable column.

This pic is from the Tesal model 3 service manual. Mine does this vibration too and I was curious if maybe a little grease lubrication in this area would help it. No idea what part in this picture actually moves when it telescopes in or out but I figured if I got it torn down this far it wouldn't be difficult to figure out.

1691152236144.png

Reactions: BeeGood
Fwiw. I had my steering column partially exposed when I was installing a hannshow 2nd display. The kind that replaces your top plastic part right behind the steering wheel. While that was open I lubricated the track it was sliding back and forth on and ever since it has not vibrated. 😊👍