Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration at higher speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having my M3 serviced a few months ago for problems with the TPMS, I'm noticing a shimmy/vibration at higher speeds, like 70+. It has taken this long to notice this as I haven't gone anywhere, and you never go that fast within the city limits here. I was on a smooth interstate and as soon as I hit 70 I started to notice it, so did my wife. She even said that the thing she likes so much about the car is how effortlessly it goes fast.

I'm thinking that they messed up the balance on the tires when the fixed the TPMS, and it should just take a rebalancing. What do you think? And would you trust Tesla service to do it right or should I just take it to a tire shop where they do this all day every day for a living?

It does and like you just need the wheels and tires rebalanced. Sometimes the weights fall off. Perhaps Tesla dismounted the tires to service the TPMS sensors and didn't rebalance. I'd take it to a Discount Tire or any tire shop, making sure they know how to lift and handle the Tesla.
That's what I'm thinking, they didn't rebalance. They had a hard time getting the system to work again and after "fixing" it had to do it all over again when it didn't work. In the meantime I'm waiting in their lounge area because it was only supposed to take a half hour. It took all morning.

My prior car had a similar problem with the shimmy, and I put all new tires on it and it was fine after, so it really was only the tire balance.

So now I just have to decide if I want Tesla to do it free or a good tire shop and pay.

Might want to have them check each tire to see if the foam insert have separated inside the tire. I was chasing similar issue for three weeks until I finally had a tire center check inside the tire and both my drivers' side tires foam insulation had separated within the tire. Had them remove the foam on all four tires and rebalance them and problem solved. No vibration on freeway speeds!

Reactions: android04