Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration sound in plastic cover over instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, hope someone have some great idea how to alleviate this...

My old and lovely p85dl has always had some vibration sound at certain types of tarmac - finally I figured out the origin!

It is the COVER BINNACLE LOWER (1002274-00-D) - the plastic cover which is under the dashboard, just on top of the instrument cluster. I removed the cover and slightly tightened the two screws that holds the dashboard in place, but didn’t help. It seems is is the actual cover that vibrates - holding a finger with pressure on it will silence it completely.

The cover is held in place with four snap-in parts. Any bright ideas or anyone who has fixed this before?
I can see there is an -E revision of the part also, but unclear on the difference - also, basically impossible for me to order parts without driving to sc which is quite far, as there is no way to contact them anymore without booking a service slot.

Hi, hope someone have some great idea how to alleviate this...

My old and lovely p85dl has always had some vibration sound at certain types of tarmac - finally I figured out the origin!

It is the COVER BINNACLE LOWER (1002274-00-D) - the plastic cover which is under the dashboard, just on top of the instrument cluster. I removed the cover and slightly tightened the two screws that holds the dashboard in place, but didn’t help. It seems is is the actual cover that vibrates - holding a finger with pressure on it will silence it completely.

The cover is held in place with four snap-in parts. Any bright ideas or anyone who has fixed this before?
I can see there is an -E revision of the part also, but unclear on the difference - also, basically impossible for me to order parts without driving to sc which is quite far, as there is no way to contact them anymore without booking a service slot.
Yes, apply a bit of sound deadener material on the parts, and a bit of felt tape on touching surfaces, for a permanent fix. I've done the same for the whole dashboard while wrapping the woods. It also improves audio due to less resonation in mid-bass.

Mobile tech put felt tape over the metal clips on the plastic cover to make a more snug fit. Resolved the rattle there for me. Honestly, these cars develop more rattles more quickly than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I can’t even crank up the stereo to mask them as the front door panels buzz with anything between 70-80 hz frequency. Mobile tech put a crapload of foam tape to resolve, but one panel still buzzes. Great quality for a $100k car. Fart mode specifically avoids those frequencies so it sounds crystal clear!

Mobile tech put felt tape over the metal clips on the plastic cover to make a more snug fit. Resolved the rattle there for me. Honestly, these cars develop more rattles more quickly than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I can’t even crank up the stereo to mask them as the front door panels buzz with anything between 70-80 hz frequency. Mobile tech put a crapload of foam tape to resolve, but one panel still buzzes. Great quality for a $100k car. Fart mode specifically avoids those frequencies so it sounds crystal clear!

I did this now, seems to have fixed it (only driven for twenty minutes, but so far so good). Thanks!