Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vicroads ZLEV km request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize there are other threads on this topic but haven't found one on this question specifically...
How many people from Victoria have received a request from Vicroads to send evidence of their odometer? How often do you receive the request? Annually at time of registration? Has anyone not ever received a request? Are they not requesting ATM due to the court case fighting the legitimacy of the tax? Has anyone had their registration cancelled for not paying intentionally or unintentionally?

I realize there are other threads on this topic but haven't found one on this question specifically...
How many people from Victoria have received a request from Vicroads to send evidence of their odometer? How often do you receive the request? Annually at time of registration? Has anyone not ever received a request? Are they not requesting ATM due to the court case fighting the legitimacy of the tax? Has anyone had their registration cancelled for not paying intentionally or unintentionally?

Yes, I've seen this article and earlier versions of the same one from last month. I'm a little skeptical of the legitimacy of them as you'd think there'd be a huge risk of the Vic govt being further embarrassed if the court case goes against them and they have to pay compensation to people who had their rego cancelled.

I'm a little skeptical of the legitimacy of them as you'd think there'd be a huge risk of the Vic govt being further embarrassed if the court case goes against them and they have to pay compensation to people who had their rego cancelled.
That's not how this works.

The High Court has not issued a temporary injuction (I don't believe one was even requested), so until such time as the court rules, it remains the law of the land, and you have an obligation to comply. There won't be any compensation.

The High Court has not issued a temporary injuction (I don't believe one was even requested), so until such time as the court rules, it remains the law of the land, and you have an obligation to comply. There won't be any compensation.

That is true, although it would not prevent VICroads (strictly speaking, the Secretary of the Department) from deciding to stop seeking odometer readings until the decision is handed down. Section 13 of the VIC law gives that discretion:

13 Secretary may extend lodgment period
The Secretary, by written notice, may extend the period for the registered operator of a ZLEV to lodge a declaration.

I guess is there a paper trail of the Secretary telling VICRoads to hit the pause button?

That is true, although it would not prevent VICroads (strictly speaking, the Secretary of the Department) from deciding to stop seeking odometer readings until the decision is handed down. Section 13 of the VIC law gives that discretion:

13 Secretary may extend lodgment period
The Secretary, by written notice, may extend the period for the registered operator of a ZLEV to lodge a declaration.

I guess is there a paper trail of the Secretary telling VICRoads to hit the pause button?

Let us know how you go with this.

Like others I also have not ever received the request - since Nov 21.

On the "law of the land" comment. Yes I tend to agree with that as a law for payments made by motorists who were adequately and provably informed of their requirement to pay... However, as the article "states" (trying not to give too much credibility to anything that looks like hearsay) drivers had their registration cancelled without any knowledge. Wouldn't that make any tax that was later deemed by the court as "unlawful" and used as a mechanism for punitive measures be susceptible to retrospective claims?