Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Video] 2020 MX - Charging Noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model X purchased this year (September 2020). No issues at all.

However, starting about last week, I heard loud clunking from the garage. It sounded like the main battery connecting / disconnecting - which is not odd in itself, but it repeatedly happened... over and over.

I was able to stop the noise by increasing the set charge % on my phone so the battery would begin charging. Then after that charging the sound stops.... just re-start again the next morning. Its been like this for a week now.

Anyone else experience this? Any idea what could be going on? I live in Michigan and it is in the low 30s. Not sure if that could be the cause? I would not expect the engaging / disengaging to happen to often. I'm worried that amount of engaging / disengaging will damage the battery or wear out the actuator.

Lot’s of folks have that issue right now. There are a couple threads on it.

I think it started when battery heating came into play. If it doesn’t need to heat the battery it does not cycle.

To get around it I lower the current. Let it start charging and then bring it up.

I don’t leave plugged in at target charge == to state of charge because when tops off it can start cycling. As soon as it’s charged I unplug or lower the target a lot so it won’t top off in its own and start cycling.

It does it in Wall Charge and UMC.

I’ve had the same thing happen the past few nights. For me, it seems to happen either when charging is scheduled or when it tops off to maintain charge level; not when initially plugged in. I’ve noticed it both times (when cold also, but inside garage) in the mornings. Opening a door seems to fix the problem and kicks the charging off. Sounds like mswlogo has a decent work around, which I’ll try, but it also sounds counter to what Tesla advises around leaving the vehicle plugged in.

I’ve had the same thing happen the past few nights. For me, it seems to happen either when charging is scheduled or when it tops off to maintain charge level; not when initially plugged in. I’ve noticed it both times (when cold also, but inside garage) in the mornings. Opening a door seems to fix the problem and kicks the charging off. Sounds like mswlogo has a decent work around, which I’ll try, but it also sounds counter to what Tesla advises around leaving the vehicle plugged in.

Yeah I have implemented this work around for now. Have you seen any official response from Tesla on this?

Well, Tesla hasn’t figured out they have a fairly serious bug they need to fix.

It probably happens on scheduled because the battery is cold at your target time. Schedule it for 5 minutes after you arrive home and bet it works ;)

If I drive in with a warm battery it works every time. If I wait till morning it will start the cycle thing.

With the Wall Connector I can hear it through whole house and it will wake me in the middle of the night. With the UMC I don’t hear it unless I’m in the garage with it. It is not good leaving it like that for hours so I’ll do what I need to avoid it until they fix it.

Also if I just leave it on 20 Amps (I think that’s what it was, maybe 18 Amps) it won’t cycle. At 24 Amps it will.

So if you do want it to top off on its own, lower the Amps.