Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Driver left scene of an accident / Update: driver caught

What should be done to the person if they are caught?

• Ban from purchasing a Tesla

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Jail (7+ days)

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Fine ($1k+)

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Throw the book at him/her (all of the above)

Votes: 168 62.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression she went back to her house (which happened to be on the same street), not that she came back to take responsibility.

Other poster was incorrect. She never came to me, I went to her based on the video I had and her car fitting the description.

While she said she "wanted to come to me," she actually had not. Once you are caught, you can say whatever you want... "I was going to give you a million dollars," but I was not given a million dollars. She did not act on what she said she was thinking so the thoughts carry no weight. Even so, I don't think it was necessary to make her feel any worse than she no doubt did (albeit not enough to come to me and confess ;)).

This is not unlike the current situation in our country... and why many are frustrated. Those that do what is right are expected to accept others (and often pay for those) that do not. There is nothing wrong helping those that are in TRUE need... there is a problem when you are forced to do things and pay for it at the same time when folks are lazy, selfish, unwise... etc. I recognize there are lots of variables, but we all see it from day to day. Not to rant... just personal perspective.
Agree 100%

Going easier on her, may seem like the nice thing to do, but is it? Will it stop her from being just as reckless and causing something worse in the future? Dunno.

You are correct and I don't like to coddle people, but I do try to be empathetic.

I previously wrote...

"You get an opportunity to screw up... and make up... the second time is proof you learned nothing and repercussions are necessary."

I hope it gives her a reference point for the future, but that's out of my control.

Unfortunately folks who don't learn from past mistakes are doomed to repeating them. I'm hopeful it's a teachable moment. Once it's all settled, I'll have a conversation with her again... about how her BF didn't do her any favors with 1) having an argument over the phone and 2) his alleged post accident advice.

Reactions: KenC
You can see where she lives (and parks) in the video... so you were hearing someone else.

You might want to listen to your video again at the beginning because what I hear is a car clearly starting up and moving and then her car comes into the frame. Has to be one in the same due to the immediacy of the sound and video. I'd bet the police officer would concur.

Given the photo maybe she came in late at night and couldn't find parking right by her building so parked on your street. I use to live in a residential area where we only had street parking and found myself some nights having to drive around quite a bit looking for parking near my place. I could see that as a logical explanation why her car could have been parked to the left of your house out of view of the camera.

Let's hope she didn't think she could back into a car and claim insurance money saying someone hit her car. Wouldn't be the first time. A number of years ago I witnessed two kids standing on the side walk of a two-lane road somewhat heavily trafficed but near residential so low posted speed. Saw one of the kids literally jump out and onto the hood of some poor passing driver with the assumption that he was trying to claim something against the driver for hitting him. Stupid kid as there were a number of cars in the area who saw it and the closest ones stopped to talk to the driver and see the kid. I thought I had seen alot before there but clearly not.

Last edited:
In NJ you aren't allowed to park in front of any private or public driveway, so no, it wasn't parked legally. (I don't see a provision in the law for your own driveway making it ok, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. ). Also, it is 50 feet from a stop sign that is required here.

Right. So two people carrying out illegal acts. Not that it makes the more egregious illegal act any less egregious.

NJ law allows municipalities to make an ordinance changing the underlying parking laws. I'm checking into it for my area to understand what the actual distances are AND regarding parking in front of a driveway.

You might want to listen to your video again at the beginning because what I hear is a car clearly starting up and moving and then her car comes into the frame. Has to be one in the same due to the immediacy of the sound and video. I'd bet the police officer would concur.

Given the photo maybe she came in late at night and couldn't find parking right by her building so parked on your street. I use to live in a residential area where we only had street parking and found myself some nights having to drive around quite a bit looking for parking near my place. I could see that as a logical explanation why her car could have been parked to the left of your house out of view of the camera.

Let's hope she didn't think she could back into a car and claim insurance money saying someone hit her car. Wouldn't be the first time. A number of years ago I witnessed two kids standing on the side walk of a two-lane road somewhat heavily trafficed but near residential so low posted speed. Saw one of the kids literally jump out and onto the hood of some poor passing driver with the assumption that he was trying to claim something against the driver for hitting him. Stupid kid as there were a number of cars in the area who saw it and the closest ones stopped to talk to the driver and see the kid. I thought I had seen alot before there but clearly not.

I guess it's possible but there is plenty of parking by her apartment (only one other person that parks there and easily four spaces) so it would be odd.

Absolutely agree that, when you think you've seen it all, there's another step down.

Initial non-Tesla authorized shop estimate is $3,202 and estimates 8-10 business days to do the work.

This is a local shop I've done business with before and they do a great job.

I'm going to get a Tesla-authorized quote as well.

It's less than I was thinking it might be.

Attachments

• estimate.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
Reactions: jrh007
Is this her first time?

I wonder if anyone's opinion would change if it turned out that the driver causing the accident has been involved in other "leaving-the-scene" or other irresponsible accidents and thus does not seem to learn from forgiven wrong-doings.

Reactions: KenC
Is this her first time?

I wonder if anyone's opinion would change if it turned out that the driver causing the accident has been involved in other "leaving-the-scene" or other irresponsible accidents and thus does not seem to learn from forgiven wrong-doings.

Since the OP reported everything to the police, this incident will follow her in the future, even if she has gotten away with something like this before (which is an entirely baseless assumption on your part). The OP has done everything correctly, including involving the police. I don't understand why people feel like he's letting her off the hook. If she's already paying $2,000 per 6 months for minimal insurance, an accident and leaving the scene (minimum) ticket aren't going to help her get out of what is likely already a pretty deep whole. It sure seems like justice has been done here. I don't know what more you expect anyone to do.

Since the OP reported everything to the police, this incident will follow her in the future, even if she has gotten away with something like this before (which is an entirely baseless assumption on your part). The OP has done everything correctly, including involving the police. I don't understand why people feel like he's letting her off the hook. If she's already paying $2,000 per 6 months for minimal insurance, an accident and leaving the scene (minimum) ticket aren't going to help her get out of what is likely already a pretty deep whole. It sure seems like justice has been done here. I don't know what more you expect anyone to do.

I’m not really sure it’s an assumption. It sounds like a question. And I’m inclined to believe IF this were a recidivist incident, that would impact some opinions. However, there is nothing at present that would indicate that.

I’m not really sure it’s an assumption. It sounds like a question. And I’m inclined to believe IF this were a recidivist incident, that would impact some opinions. However, there is nothing at present that would indicate that.
Opinions about what? Whether she's a bad person? No one here has any idea.

Again, what else could the OP do? He reported her to the police. He got her insurance info and made a claim through her policy. There is literally nothing else to be done. It's in the hands of law enforcement, whether she's done it before or not. No one has gone easy on her. The OP said he empathized with her, but it's not like he looked the other way and paid out of pocket. She's getting every bit of what she deserves, save maybe a hit and run charge (which would likely be pleaded down anyway).

If she doesn't carry enough insurance to cover the cost of his repairs and as we all know until they actually get to work on it you don't know (and if there's a sensor involved I wouldn't use a non-Tesla authorized shop for what might otherwise be body work), she should be responsible for the full cost of his repairs whether it be covered full or partially by insurance. There's always small claims for the balance to get a judgment and even if she has to make small payments to pay it off, it really is her responsibility to make sure he is made full. I get this is already a hassle for OP and not a comfortable situation with her living kitty corner from him. It's not my car but it does bother me seeing how this all took place.

If she doesn't carry enough insurance to cover the cost of his repairs and as we all know until they actually get to work on it you don't know (and if there's a sensor involved I wouldn't use a non-Tesla authorized shop for what might otherwise be body work), she should be responsible for the full cost of his repairs whether it be covered full or partially by insurance. There's always small claims for the balance to get a judgment and even if she has to make small payments to pay it off, it really is her responsibility to make sure he is made full. I get this is already a hassle for OP and not a comfortable situation with her living kitty corner from him. It's not my car but it does bother me seeing how this all took place.

I'm the OP and I agree that I could go through all of it to recoup my losses over and above what her insurance covers, but I look at it as trying to squeeze the last drop out of a lemon... It can be done, but is it really worth it?

I am quite fortunate in many respects and therefore I'm able to overlook things that others perhaps could not. I choose to do that. Albeit, that doesn't mean I should forgo that which is available to me. In this case that is her insurance.

At the end of the day, the situation is much more harmful to her than me and that is why I'm seemingly going easy on her. I'd much rather she learn a lesson, like not arguing with a BF on the phone while driving, than me squeezing her for a few more pennies.

"The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression."

I don't know what more you expect anyone to do.

Great response to JRH007...

The more fortunate we are, the more we should be willing to let things go.

Does it suck my Tesla was damaged? Yes.

Do I wish it didn't happen? Yes.

Did it happen? Yes.

How do I choose to react to a situation that sucks and that I wish didn't happen but did? Get it fixed and move on. Harboring any ill, esp for a neighbor, serves no benefit to anyone.

For me, it's a much better outcome than never finding out who did it. Since I now know the circumstances, I can be gracious.