Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: P90D Ludicrous vs P85D Insane...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thank you very much for posting this.
It will definitely help P85D owners who are on the fence about the upgrade, like myself, to evaluate whether it is actually worth it.
In that regard I am confused about how the P90D easily pulled away initially, probably because of the jump.
However, The P90D seemed to have a much harder time beyond 60 mph to increase the gap, which is where probably the great majority of upgrade-eligible owners want to see improvement.

Can you please repeat the test to see what the comparison looks like with simultaneous starts?

I also noticed that the road was damp and the P90D actually had some traction problems at the start.
I am sure I speak for a lot of owners when I say that any comparative information is highly appreciated in our decision on whether to go to a P85D or not.

I think there is reason there haven't been any P85D ludicrous upgrades yet, they are not ready, the P90DL will not go 10's with it's current setup/software....

Hmm... going to have to dig out my track slips, but I think I beat this in the P85D with my best at high SoC (was 7.2 something)

The one from one of my later videos, at ~92% SoC, vs the GT-R, I got 7.356 @ 95.003 MPH. Pretty close. The P90D is going to have to put out a lot more power to pull 10.9s in the quarter with only ~0.015s difference in the 1/8th. I'd be curious to see this in the real world. I'd guess it'll do 11.1-11.2s in the 1/4 real world, but who knows.

I went back and looked at the file and it isn't the one I thought it was. I actually lost the entire file while doing the drive for the 1G test, which had this as part of the run.

IMG_0501.jpg

That was done at 51% SOC and the 0-60 is at least 0.1s slower. The 1/8th I posted said I hit it at 93mph, and there isn't going to be a 0.8s difference in 90-93 so I posted a flawed 1/8th time.

I trust fiksegts's opinion since he has more experience with 1/4 mile times. I just feel that since I've been able to confirm the other numbers they advertise that I don't really doubt it can do 10.9s.

Unfortunately I can't do any tests with a proper SOC until next week.

- - - Updated - - -

fiksegts do you have 0-90 numbers for your P85D? it won't be apples to apples because of SOC, but I'm curious what you've gotten.

This wasn't an ideal race or conditions, but it doesn't seem like the P90DL would do high 10's if this video is representative of performance. Even with the head start that the P90DL got, it would need to be a lot farther ahead in order to hit a high 10 1/4 mile. We need someone to take it to the track to find out more. Drag times need to get both these cars on the track.