Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vin 394 salvage auction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch.. wonder what happened there? Did he slide at 45 degrees into a pole?

24054911_9X.JPG

It shows repair cost at $11,500. Someone's gonna get a hell of a deal if it goes for $28,500. Less than 14 minutes left.
I really doubt that the repair cost is accurate at $11.5k. That and the fact that salvage vehicles don't keep their warranty. Having said that, the car is worth $30k easy.

Does a salvage certificate void the manufacturers warranty? If so its not worth it, might as well pay a few k more and get a non salvaged version.

The structure is likely damaged from the pictures, since the body plays a pivotal role on these cars for structural rigidity

If you are going to buy it, you will need to make sure that tha damaged door comes with it as matching the trim of a new door card can be tricky and surprisingly expensive. Both air bags have deployed and is the side of the drivers seat slightly crushed?
I think if you add the likely repair costs to the asking price this is not a 'deal'.

This is the same car that got auctioned off at copart a week ago. It looks like the buyer took the door off and cleaned it up, and is trying to make a quick buck on ebay. There is a seperate thread on that auction here somewhere..

Frame could be OK

I'll bet the frame is bent. Why else would it be salvage?

The frame in that part of the Tesla is under the sill plate which looks OK. So if the damage does not extend to the sill plate I see no reason why the frame would be compromized. If by chance the frame is bent you are likely right as it is very difficult to repair an Aluminum frame. Too bad I have my Tesla as I would likely take a chance to fix a car like this. But parts will be VERY hard to obtain as I hear the body parts are bonded to the body. But I know some good body guys that can do wonders.

Looks like the salvage auction closed at $28000 or above for this vehicle and estimated costs of repair at the time were $11000. Seller is now asking $46000. Quite a mark up for the
car considering the unknowns. What would be a reasonable offer and how best to assess frame integrity?

Quick check of the frame

The sill plates are attached to the frame with velcro. So one can gently pull out the sill plates starting at the back and pulling up, you would be able to visually look at the frame, take a strait edge, like a 2' level and ensure there is no bend or bowing.

I would also make sure the car starts and runs and check the ideal miles after a charge as I doubt there is any warranty and a new battery will likely run more than $30K. The battery should show at least 175 ideal miles after a charge.

Finally I would make sure you can get the replacement air bags and dash and steering wheel. With the air bags deployed they have to be replaced. No simple task as there is no repair manual available.