Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN discrepency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think you can trust what a local Tesla service center tells you about the car. There have been numerous instances reported in this forum where people reported asking Tesla whether a car they bought or were going to buy had supercharger charging enabled and was told yes by the service center and then later it turned out the cars had no supercharger capability because the vehicles had been classified as salvage cars and the supercharging capability had been disabled. Most service center people just tend to think that all model S cars (other than the few 40kWh versions that were sold) have supercharger capability unless their computer database says otherwise. They don’t think about the car having a salvage title.

It’s even been reported at least once that a person bought a salvage car in which supercharging capability was enabled and when the person took the car to Tesla for service, the salvage title was discovered and the supercharger capability was deactivated. It sometimes takes months for the salvage title to “catch up” to the car.

Sometimes it is pure error. Sometime it takes time for Tesla to learn of the salvage title.

You were unsuccessful in getting the car to supercharge. There is also a discrepancy with the battery size according to the VIN and the MCU. Unless the dealer can prove otherwise, I recommend you assume the vehicle is a salvage title car that someone installed with a larger battery but that the car has no supercharger capabilit

Ask the dealer if he is willing to guarantee IN WRITING that the vehicle has NO salvage title, has an 85kWh battery and has supercharging enabled, and that he will refund all your money should one of these conditions be false. If he refuses, you have your answer and should run away from the car.

Btw, I only recall reading about 1 S40 car in which Tesla (as opposed to a third party) upgraded the battery to a larger battery. I don’t recall what size battery Tesla installed in that car and I don’t recall whether Tesla enabled supercharging for the vehicle after the battery upgrade.

Even if the vehicle you are considering to buy is not a salvage vehicle, if the larger battery was installed in the car by someone other than Tesla, such “upgrade” would void any warranty on the car. In this regard, the drivetrain and battery warranty on S40 cars were limited in comparison to the drivetrain and battery warranty provided on factory built S85 (P85) cars.