Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi:

I ordered an in-stock M3 LR performance on Saturday and delivery is scheduled for Thursday. I was checking the VIN number just now and realized that it's 38000 series and the current series seems to be 43000. I've shot a question to the salesperson about this. Any idea how old is this production? Am I better off cancelling this car and custom ordering a new one?

Thanks for your guidance in advance!!

Hi:

I ordered an in-stock M3 LR performance on Saturday and delivery is scheduled for Thursday. I was checking the VIN number just now and realized that it's 38000 series and the current series seems to be 43000. I've shot a question to the salesperson about this. Any idea how old is this production? Am I better off cancelling this car and custom ordering a new one?

There’s no custom ordering. They match your request to a car that is being built and doesn’t yet have a buyer, or one that was already built.

Hi:

VINs are not sequential. You can check the build date when you inspect the car, and if you are not happy with what you see (I think it is unlikely you won’t like the build date but who knows...), you can refuse to take the car. Obviously don’t do home delivery, if you are going to be picky.

I took delivery of my Model 3 LR Performance yesterday at the Fremont delivery center. We spent over half hour inspecting the car with a handy checklist. I am happy to report that the car was perfect. Knock on wood, I hope it proves as reliable as my S which in 3 years did not have a single problem. Thank you all the members of the forum who have over time provided extremely useful info.
IMG_3021.JPG