Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN verification check for Tesla service blacklist when buying used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm close to purchasing a used Tesla, most likely tonight, and wanted to ask if there is any way to verify the vehicle is not on Tesla's service blacklist? I attempted to call Tesla service but the automated system suggested setting up an appointment through the online app.
Thanks,
John

When ever you are buying a used car, it is extremely important to have it checked out by a properly certified professional, who has the correctly equipment to access the car and its computers.

In the case of Tesla, the only option is a Tesla Service Center.

I highly recommend that you book an appointment for the car at the Tesla service center BEFORE you buy the car.

if the car checks out, then buy it while it is still at the service center.

if it does not, then its only costed you a few dollars to save many thousands.

you can go into a service center and talk to the guys before you buy the car,
explain that you need a full checkup preformed,

shouldn't have any problems.

think they charge 175 per hour, but if they find something, it will be money well spent.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I wish I could take it into a service center but I have limited options for purchasing a used Model S in the St. Louis. I'm buying a previous Enterprise rental 2018 Model S with 10,000 miles from a dealership in CA. I spoke with Tesla sales a few months ago, they warned me about vehicles being blacklisted, which prompted my post.

Another forum member offered to inspect the car tonight in Pomona CA. I've seen several of these previous rentals on the market recently and read forum members testimonies about purchasing them. I'm hopeful this is a good decision since my options are limited due to budget distance from available Tesla's. I planned to purchase directly from Tesla but wanted MCU2 due to fear of MCU1 failure, which lead me to these reasonably priced 2018 rentals.

I wish I could take it into a service center but I have limited options for purchasing a used Model S in the St. Louis. I'm buying a previous Enterprise rental 2018 Model S with 10,000 miles from a dealership in CA. I spoke with Tesla sales a few months ago, they warned me about vehicles being blacklisted, which prompted my post.

Another forum member offered to inspect the car tonight in Pomona CA. I've seen several of these previous rentals on the market recently and read forum members testimonies about purchasing them. I'm hopeful this is a good decision since my options are limited due to budget distance from available Tesla's. I planned to purchase directly from Tesla but wanted MCU2 due to fear of MCU1 failure, which lead me to these reasonably priced 2018 rentals.

Based on lots of reading? The memory chip gets full on MCU1's well after 10k miles. Realistically, you are looking at potentially years down the line before repair is needed, and even then, depending on mileage: you may be under warranty and/or, keep in mind the # of persons that are offering to fix it outside of Tesla and for much, much cheaper? Is growing. Some even do it while traveling on the road. (check the EMMC thread in the sticky section).

All that to say, MCU1 fears shouldn't be your biggest concern in car choice. For me, going through Tesla to get a used S was a very high priority, as I wanted every bit of that drivetrain warranty, full 4 year/50k (mine was used, but inventory, and my 4 year/50k started on the day in 2019 when I purchased the car). warranty.

Last edited:
It’s not a perfect test, but try to supercharge it. If it’s “not supported” it won’t...

I had the same concern buying used and insisted the seller add something to the bill of sale saying that - to the best of their knowledge - the car was supported by Tesla, not salvage, covered by warranty, and had FUSC.

this doesn’t protect you against Tesla changing their mind later, but does cover a seller lieing about it.

Thanks for the information. I've been researching since November and was concerned about MCU failure and other reports of features becoming unavailable to it. I was also concerned about FSD capability with MCU1 cars. Warranty was another concern, the ones I'm looking at were produced in October of 2018, I believe they still has 30 months on limited and 80 months drivetrain warranty.

I’d try to fly out and see the car. I bought a car once on eBay, had it locally inspected, etc. It arrived, it reeked of cigarette smoke. We never did get all that stench out, even years later, you could still smell it. I would not have bought it if I had inspected the car myself prior to purchase.

The inspection is great but there is nothing like seeing the car for yourself. Sure a plane ticket is expensive and there are lodging and transportation expenses, but this is a big purchase.