Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is another way to implement scheduled climate control, and it doesn't require any disclaimers or the app to run all the time. I don't know if command line switches are possible in Java, but if they are, then there could be one for turning on the climate control and another one for turning it off. A user could then use an external scheduling program to get the desired action. Actually even easier would be to just write two tiny programs "tesla_climate_on.exe" and "tesla_climate_off.exe" and run them as you want. Automatically turning on the climate control should probably only work if the car is plugged in.

There is another way to implement scheduled climate control, and it doesn't require any disclaimers or the app to run all the time. I don't know if command line switches are possible in Java, but if they are, then there could be one for turning on the climate control and another one for turning it off. A user could then use an external scheduling program to get the desired action. Actually even easier would be to just write two tiny programs "tesla_climate_on.exe" and "tesla_climate_off.exe" and run them as you want. Automatically turning on the climate control should probably only work if the car is plugged in.

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to when I said:

Please note that there is a way to do this right now using the teslams package and the scheduler built into your computer's operating system. Here is an example for the mac of starting the charger at a certain time. It was created by hans.

teslams already let's you run a simple command to start charging, turn on the AC, etc. The example linked to above seems kind of technical, but there are GUI tools that will let you plug in these sorts of commands in a simple manner on both Windows and Mac. This could also be done without any special program. It could simply be a batch file (shell script) with the appropriate curl commands.

I do understand that there is a desire for a simple method that's just built in to VisibleTesla. I will think about how to do that responsibly.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thank you for the new version with the added parameter.

I'm sure this is going to be a duh moment for me but for the life of me I cannot find the file menu to export the data to CSV.

Is it on the graph tab?

It's in the File menu as shown below. Let me know if it's not showing up for you. This is version 0.19.02.

Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 6.37.30 PM.png

Ahhhhh. I don't have that command bar on top of my window. That's the problem. I'm running Winders 7 Pro. Do I need to do a setting in the Java environment to enable that command bar?

Also, the new battery current data is great. On one of my trips a few minutes ago, the battery current exceeded 222 amps but the graph would not scale any smaller in the vertical scale. But using the control left mouse I can scroll the whole graph up enough to where I can see the peak at 520 amps.

I can send a screen shot if you would like to see it.

Thanks,
Michael

VisualTesla1.jpg

It's in the File menu as shown below. Let me know if it's not showing up for you. This is version 0.19.02.

View attachment 30226

Last edited:
MenuBar on Windows

I didn't realize that the MenuBar was not displaying on Windows! I thought it was set up properly to use whatever menubar is appropriate for the system (as it does on the Mac) but apparently I need to do something different on Windows. I'll get it sorted out later this week.

@MichaelS: If you'd be willing I will send you a test version when I think I have it fixed.

I would be happy to test it for you. Thank you.

I didn't realize that the MenuBar was not displaying on Windows! I thought it was set up properly to use whatever menubar is appropriate for the system (as it does on the Mac) but apparently I need to do something different on Windows. I'll get it sorted out later this week.

@MichaelS: If you'd be willing I will send you a test version when I think I have it fixed.

teslams already let's you run a simple command to start charging, turn on the AC, etc. The example linked to above seems kind of technical, but there are GUI tools that will let you plug in these sorts of commands in a simple manner on both Windows and Mac. This could also be done without any special program. It could simply be a batch file (shell script) with the appropriate curl commands.

Thanks for the pointer. I just downloaded it and looked it over. Once my car arrives I will build a new version of teslams that exits immediately if the car is not attached to a charger. I will use this new version when playing with scheduled tasks using the Windows Task Scheduler.

Thanks for the pointer. I just downloaded it and looked it over. Once my car arrives I will build a new version of teslams that exits immediately if the car is not attached to a charger. I will use this new version when playing with scheduled tasks using the Windows Task Scheduler.

I can easily add that into the main code. Maybe a command line option to check if charging_state is 'Disconnected' or charging_pilot_current is '0', and exit if it is. Probably worth adding a sleep mode check for 5.0 owners that exits immediately if the car is asleep. Thanks for the input and sorry for any distraction from VisibleTesla. I personally find myself using VisibleTesla more often when I am in front of my computer and teslams more often for debugging or programmatic scripted things.

---update---

I added a --isplugged flag to the teslacmd command line tool that comes with teslams. If you add this flag (or just -X for short) it will only execute the other commands if the car is plugged in.
I also added a --isawake flag (-Z for short) that does a similar check to see of the car is not asleep. You can combine both to make sure the car is plugged in and not sleeping.

Last edited:
I made a visit to a supercharger today to record the results. The voltage does read out DC volts when connected to a supercharger. So the volts is actually input voltage. AC current stays 0 during supercharging. All the other values read back as expected.

I made a visit to a supercharger today to record the results. The voltage does read out DC volts when connected to a supercharger. So the volts is actually input voltage. AC current stays 0 during supercharging. All the other values read back as expected.

Thanks MichaelS. I'll modify the tooltip. I'm on the road this week and probably won't have a chance to do much until late this week.

Minor Update: VisibleTesla 0.19.03

You can download VisibleTesla 0.19.03 here.

This version has very minor changes. I'm rolling it out now because without it, the menubar is missing from Windows and Linux. Sorry about that!

VisibleTesla 0.19.03 [2013-09-13]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
    • Login
    • Overview
      • Fixed: The application menu was not appearing in Windows or Linux. It was showing properly on the Mac. It now appears properly on all platforms.
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
      • Minor changes to the tooltips based on observed behavior at a supercharger.
      • Fixed: Made the app more tolerant to corruptions in the statistics log file. One user has been experiencing corruptions to that file which would make the app behave badly the next time it restarted.
  • Under-the-covers
  • Known problems