Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw the additional trips showed up later. initially the app showed only the first trip of the day, but when I clicked on today again later in the evening all of my trips showed up. When I then went on yesterday I had also that days trips there so it seems to have been some odd lag. Still don't get notifications, but I guess a test notification button will help debugging if that might actually be a problem with the e-mail service.

Ahh. That makes sense. If you have the current day selected (or a range days including the current day), the list of trips displayed will not be updated even if new trips are being added. You have to re-select the day to make it refresh the list. I'll look into making that more dynamic.

Feature request: for EU cars can we have the calendar in EU format as well. For us the week starts on Monday, not Sunday :)

Yes. I will look at the locale of the computer that's running VT and adjust appropriately. Thanks for pointing that out.

UPDATE: I've done some testing and it appears to me that this should already be happening based on the locale set in your operating system. I changed my Mac to Region: Germany and Language:German as a test and I got the calendar in the expected format. Can you tell me what OS you are on, what language you are using, and what region you are in? Thanks.

Last edited:
Update on Notify Tab problem for European Users

Some European users are having no luck whatsoever with the Notify tab. I believe I now know why and am testing a fix.

Please check the release notes on the next version. It should be in there.

Screen Shot of my configuration
Please send me a screenshot of your Notify tab and I'll take a look.

So I am going to try to upload a screen shot of my Notify setting, it wouldn't accept the jpg last time so here goes again

Capture1.JPG

Also my calendar on the trips tab shows the dates for 1-9 but just ... for every two digit date.

Capture.JPG

Thanks

European users fmda and Mario Kadastik are reporting numerous problems in the Charge tab, Trips tab, and Notify tab. I can only conclude there is some difference between the software in these vehicles that I don't know about. Unfortunately since I don't have a European model to test with or any way of connecting to one, I can't give a timeline for fixing any of this.

Thank you,
Joe

Hi Joe, coming back to the email notifications, can it be that you use a Usa mail service that does not send mails outside of usa?

- - - Reply to fmda - - -

Hi @fmda. I believe I found/fixed the problem and it is unrelated to sending mail. There was an underlying problem in the way certain data was being read and written that was causing problems. This bug only manifested itself in certain regions which is why I didn't see it. I changed my region/language to Germany/German and I experienced the same problem as you (and I'm sure some other European users) were having. It's fixed in my development version which I hope to release soon. That release will still be categorized as experimental, but it should squash a few bugs.

- - - Reply to Snosrep - - -

Screen Shot of my configuration ... So I am going to try to upload a screen shot of my Notify setting, it wouldn't accept the jpg last time so here goes again
<picture omitted>

Also my calendar on the trips tab shows the dates for 1-9 but just ... for every two digit date.
<picture omitted>

Thanks

Let's start with the last item first. You're seeing "..." for the two digit dates and "Odometer (..." because of your system's font size setting. I suspect there are other places in the interface where you are seeing things cut off. Another Windows user reported the same thing. I haven't had a chance to look into it. VisibleTesla is picking up the font size from the system, so I may have to override it somehow. This appears to only affect Windows users who have chosen a non-deafult font size in their system settings, but that's about all I know at the moment.

OK, so the original questions were:
  1. You got a notification saying the car wasn't plugged in, but it was.
    • There is a weirdness in the interface to the car in which some of the data it provides can be temporarily incomplete. To deal with that, I now double-check this status before sending a notification. That is, if it looks like it's unplugged, I ask again to be sure.
  2. I also got a text that says "Charge state took on a new value: Disconnected" each time I unplugged the car and I don't know what I have set to request this notification.
    • The third line down on the Notify tab is "Charge State Becomes" and the item you have selected is "Disconnected". The car can be any of four different charge states at any given time: "Disconnected", "Charging", "Complete", and "Unknown". This notify setting says that if the charge state has some value and then changes to the selected value, a notification should be sent. When you unplugged your car the state changed from "Charging", "Complete", or "Unknown" to "Disconnected". Hence the notification.

Hm. I can't seem to find the interior art.

There are no discrete images for the interior and therein lies the first difficulty. This issue has been reported since the very early versions of VT with respect to the wheels on the far side of the car in the HVAC tab. They always show up as 21" turbine. As I've mentioned before, there are two problems here. First, there are no images of the back sides of the other wheels. Second, the wheels are just blended into the overall body image along with the seats and everything else. The only reason I can update the wheels on the near side of the car is that I can overlay them on top of the overall image.

That's why it will take (far) more illustration/editing skills than I have to address this issue.

So the images are downloaded? Where is VisibleTesla currently getting them from?

The images are part of the jar as described above. They are not downloaded at run time if that's what you mean. There are not discrete images for the body, the seats, and the passenger side wheels shown on the HVAC tab. They are combined into one composite image. That image, along with all of the others is in the jar file, and on github. that particular image is here: https://raw.github.com/jpasqua/Visi...attheinn/TeslaResources/[email protected]

This image is from the official Tesla iPhone app.

Last edited:
Feedback on Trips Tab

Joe, I just had a chance to try out the Trips functionality (0.25.00) during a trip between Bay Area and Sacramento via the new Vacaville Supercharger (pics here) and it is fantastic. I had a few feedback items and questions (plus future requests):

1) I notice occasionally getting a "glitch trip" consisting of two data points a few feet from each other and zero mileage. I know the heuristics on your trip determination must be quite complicated. One thing you might consider adding is a "glitch rejection" that rejects trips below a certain distance, to exclude in particular 0 mi or km.

2) For many trips spread over days and months, it would help to find them if you indicated the days that contain trips with some alternate coloring in the calendar, for example shading either the day box or number differently. This would enable quick picking of trips. It also adds functionality to your new ability to highlight multiple days and see all the trips within that range (the current workaround for quickly finding trips).

3) Also for quicker visual id of trips, since there is room in the upper right box listing trips, it would be useful to put one other summary item after <date> @ <time>. I suggest <distance><unit>, the difference between Odo at end vs start. This will also add value to your new ability to highlight a range of trips there and map them, so you can more easily pick them out by distance traveled (also helps reject the glitch trips without needing to highlight each one and check the fields).

4) Since there is now room in the tab where you have the graphic, it would be useful to have additional "average" values placed on the page when you highlight each trip. I think the most useful averaged values for each trip would be, based on the data collected already, the average power, average speed, (and perhaps average battery current). This requires doing an off-line average of data on each trip, but from number of points collected, should be quick.

5) Finally on data export and altitude/location data. I tried the export location data but I get a binary file and could not find out more info on its format in the docs. I have a suggestion that I think will make this a killer feature that also solves the altitude requests by many. Also for me, I would like the altitude data very much to quantify energy usage and help estimate altitude impact on range. In the export (perhaps even after selecting the trip or trips you want in the list), my suggestion is have a button to export, but use KML format. It appears you have all the data to do this to make the XML-type file. In addition, during the export, my suggestion is to look up the altitude for each data point from the general topo databases (see, e.g., KML on wikipedia). This format then has all the capability of holding the markers, their orientation, GPS coordinates, and even the time information (not currently used in your google map visualization), etc., and then these KML files can be used in Google Earth or host of other mapping programs to visualize and analyze. In the KML file I believe you could even export all the recorded data during the trip as custom fields, such as instantaneous speed, power, etc. that is seen in your "graphs" tab, but now not directly linked with "trips". The KML format is a standard and seems to be a great way to combine the car metrics and location data into a powerful visualization tool.

Hi all,

Been using this program for quite some time now and love it! The only thing I don't do is leave it open all the time so it can track trips and trigger events. But I'd like to.

I have a Lenovo ix4-300d NAS at home which I use to stream media, etc, but it has a decent ARMv7 CPU which can run Java. This is a question for those hard-core Linux types. I can figure out how to get the Java VM installed, but I'm not sure how to have the output of the .jar sent to a remote desktop (since the NAS obviously has no screen).

Anyone have any idea how to do this and if it's even possible? Also, I'd need to be able to "connect" and "disconnect" from the window as I'd want to see it on my machine at work, or a laptop while travelling, etc.

Is this a pipe dream?

Thanks!

Rob

Last edited:
Joe, I just had a chance to try out the Trips functionality (0.25.00) during a trip between Bay Area and Sacramento via the new Vacaville Supercharger (pics here) and it is fantastic. I had a few feedback items and questions (plus future requests):

1) I notice occasionally getting a "glitch trip" consisting of two data points a few feet from each other and zero mileage. I know the heuristics on your trip determination must be quite complicated. One thing you might consider adding is a "glitch rejection" that rejects trips below a certain distance, to exclude in particular 0 mi or km.

It should be doing that. There is a "make sure this isn't an empty trip check" before a trip gets added to the list. I'll look into this further. See below

2) For many trips spread over days and months, it would help to find them if you indicated the days that contain trips with some alternate coloring in the calendar, for example shading either the day box or number differently. This would enable quick picking of trips. It also adds functionality to your new ability to highlight multiple days and see all the trips within that range (the current workaround for quickly finding trips).

Agreed. I've already looked into this and unfortunately the calendar component I'm using doesn't make this possible. I've contacted the creator of that component and this capability is included in his newer version, but it requires Java 8 which is still in pre-release form. I'll look at backporting his changes or finding another way to do this.

3) Also for quicker visual id of trips, since there is room in the upper right box listing trips, it would be useful to put one other summary item after <date> @ <time>. I suggest <distance><unit>, the difference between Odo at end vs start. This will also add value to your new ability to highlight a range of trips there and map them, so you can more easily pick them out by distance traveled (also helps reject the glitch trips without needing to highlight each one and check the fields).

I'll look into that. Sounds reasonable.

4) Since there is now room in the tab where you have the graphic, it would be useful to have additional "average" values placed on the page when you highlight each trip. I think the most useful averaged values for each trip would be, based on the data collected already, the average power, average speed, (and perhaps average battery current). This requires doing an off-line average of data on each trip, but from number of points collected, should be quick.

I *think* I have everything I need to do this, but I'm not sure how statistically accurate this data would be. For example, how would you imagine computing the average power? Take all of the power readings during the specified time interval and weight them equally? For speed, would you average the speed readings or take (end odo - start odo)/(end time - start time)? I'm not a statistician, but I think whatever numbers I come up with would be biased in one way or another (e.g. more samples come from times at which the car is moving slowly). Is that still interesting?

5) Finally on data export and altitude/location data. I tried the export location data but I get a binary file and could not find out more info on its format in the docs.

It's a Microsoft Excel file, but that fact is actually given in the Graphs tab section of the documentation. One of these days I've got to do a major cleanup pass on the docs. Getting back to your item #1 above, can you isolate one of the "glitch trips" in your excel data and send it my way? That will help me determine why they are not being filtered out.

I have a suggestion that I think will make this a killer feature that also solves the altitude requests by many. Also for me, I would like the altitude data very much to quantify energy usage and help estimate altitude impact on range. In the export (perhaps even after selecting the trip or trips you want in the list), my suggestion is have a button to export, but use KML format. It appears you have all the data to do this to make the XML-type file. In addition, during the export, my suggestion is to look up the altitude for each data point from the general topo databases (see, e.g., KML on wikipedia). This format then has all the capability of holding the markers, their orientation, GPS coordinates, and even the time information (not currently used in your google map visualization), etc., and then these KML files can be used in Google Earth or host of other mapping programs to visualize and analyze. In the KML file I believe you could even export all the recorded data during the trip as custom fields, such as instantaneous speed, power, etc. that is seen in your "graphs" tab, but now not directly linked with "trips". The KML format is a standard and seems to be a great way to combine the car metrics and location data into a powerful visualization tool.

It's a great idea and I actually started with KML when I was prototyping the Trips tab. Doing it as a Google map gave me a shorter time to results so I went down that path instead. I need to find a good library for generating KML based on a list of (lat,long,heading) tuples. There must be one out there but I didn't put my hands on one before I changed paths to Google maps.

I *think* I have everything I need to do this, but I'm not sure how statistically accurate this data would be. For example, how would you imagine computing the average power? Take all of the power readings during the specified time interval and weight them equally? For speed, would you average the speed readings or take (end odo - start odo)/(end time - start time)? I'm not a statistician, but I think whatever numbers I come up with would be biased in one way or another (e.g. more samples come from times at which the car is moving slowly). Is that still interesting?

Thanks, I'll stand by my other suggestions but this one needs more thought. I had not carefully considered the irregular sampling.

It's a Microsoft Excel file, but that fact is actually given in the Graphs tab section of the documentation. One of these days I've got to do a major cleanup pass on the docs. Getting back to your item #1 above, can you isolate one of the "glitch trips" in your excel data and send it my way? That will help me determine why they are not being filtered out.

Thanks, with that info and changing the file type to "xls" I could read it. Will send it to you.

Finally, here is log of my latest supercharger excursion to show off the utility of VisibleTesla:

2013-12-22 Sacramento 2 (annotated).png

As you many of you know, VisibleTesla is a fun side project for me. I wanted to share another side project that is relevant for this time of year. It has nothing to do with VisibleTesla or Tesla in general, so you may want to just skip this post.

My uncle built an 8' x 2' sign with hundreds of LEDs arranged to spell out "Merry Christmas" on one line and "Joy to the world" on a line below that. He wired each letter and a border of lights to a bank of MOSFET transistors that act as solid state switches. This was an incredible amount of work. I did the easy part. I connected that to a Raspberry Pi via a daughter card and wrote a little java app to animate the letters.

Here are some pics of the inside of the sign. The first one shows the whole thing and the second is a close up of the Raspberry Pi.

Happy Holidays!

Joe
Still off topic...:redface:
maybe the next step is to team up with Artsci and get a LillyPad to program a Lighted Tesla "T" Shirt

So, I am going to be the complete idiot here. I'm a week and 350 miles into car. (And I love it!) Installed the app and I am really impressed with the work. Not ventured to .25 yet but when I get more educated and comfy I will go experimental.

Meanwhile, I am clueless on the Trips tab. I have no data. I have Location preferences set to collect data, and I can see data on the Graphs tab, but so far nada on the Trips tab. What am I am I missing?

Sorry for the stupidity. I'm sure it's a simple answer.

Hi @fmda. I believe I found/fixed the problem and it is unrelated to sending mail. There was an underlying problem in the way certain data was being read and written that was causing problems. This bug only manifested itself in certain regions which is why I didn't see it. I changed my region/language to Germany/German and I experienced the same problem as you (and I'm sure some other European users) were having. It's fixed in my development version which I hope to release soon. That release will still be categorized as experimental, but it should squash a few bugs.

Great Joe, I can't wait to install the new release when it comes

Hi all,

Been using this program for quite some time now and love it! The only thing I don't do is leave it open all the time so it can track trips and trigger events. But I'd like to.

I have a Lenovo ix4-300d NAS at home which I use to stream media, etc, but it has a decent ARMv7 CPU which can run Java. This is a question for those hard-core Linux types. I can figure out how to get the Java VM installed, but I'm not sure how to have the output of the .jar sent to a remote desktop (since the NAS obviously has no screen).

Anyone have any idea how to do this and if it's even possible? Also, I'd need to be able to "connect" and "disconnect" from the window as I'd want to see it on my machine at work, or a laptop while travelling, etc.

Is this a pipe dream?

Thanks!

Rob

It may be possible to set the DISPLAY ENV variable to point to a remote X windows display. That's what I'd try first.

So, I am going to be the complete idiot here. I'm a week and 350 miles into car. (And I love it!) Installed the app and I am really impressed with the work. Not ventured to .25 yet but when I get more educated and comfy I will go experimental.

Meanwhile, I am clueless on the Trips tab. I have no data. I have Location preferences set to collect data, and I can see data on the Graphs tab, but so far nada on the Trips tab. What am I am I missing?

Sorry for the stupidity. I'm sure it's a simple answer.

In the first version of the Trips tab, trips won't actually load until the app is quit and restarted. For example, If you run the app all day and take several trips, nothing will show up. If you quit the app and restart, then select the current day, you'll see the trips. In .25 and later you don't need to do that. Hope that helps. If you're still not seeing any trips, let me know.

Great Joe, I can't wait to install the new release when it comes

I need to test one more thing in the Trips tab which requires driving the car. I'll do that in the morning and then I'll release it. @Mario Kadastik pointed out that if you already have the current day selected and then take a drive, the new trip will not be added to the list of available trips for the day. You have to deselect and reselect the day to make it appear. I've updated the code to make it appear automatically, but I need to drive the car to see if it works.

- - - Reply to Bugeater and zax123 - - -

It may be possible to set the DISPLAY ENV variable to point to a remote X windows display. That's what I'd try first.

Good idea.

@zax123: Does the box have an X server installed (or you can install one)? Also, when I did a quick search on your device it appears that it has 512MB of RAM total. This may not be up to the task of running the NAS, and X server, and VisibleTesla. I'll be very interested in your results.