Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've found a bug. Here's a pic from my car charging:

Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 10.19.04.png

As you can see it's charging at 12A and 227V from which it computes that it's charging at 3kW. This however is wrong because the charging is 3-phase so the total amperage is 36A and the charge rate is 9kW. It'd be tough to get 37km/h typical range (i.e. what US calls rated range I think) with just 3kW charging ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I think the Rated, Estimated and Ideal all seem to be mixed up as well.

I wanted to let you know that I moved VisibleTesla to my physical server a couple of days ago, and it's been working flawlessly. :) Apparently the VM was indeed the issue (I'm guessing related to video drivers, as we've occasionally seen other odd video-related issues on VMs at work).

On another note, after your post last night, I enabled the "Unplugged at time" notification (this is a great idea BTW!) for 9:30 PM. The car was plugged in last night when I went to bed. This morning when I unplugged the car at 6:51 AM, I got an "Input Power is less than 1.0" notification. That would be a very long grace period ;) so perhaps something is amiss? I'll add that I also got a successful notification of completed charge - very nice! :)

I think I've found a bug. Here's a pic from my car charging:

View attachment 38459

As you can see it's charging at 12A and 227V from which it computes that it's charging at 3kW. This however is wrong because the charging is 3-phase so the total amperage is 36A and the charge rate is 9kW. It'd be tough to get 37km/h typical range (i.e. what US calls rated range I think) with just 3kW charging ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I think the Rated, Estimated and Ideal all seem to be mixed up as well.

Hello Mario,

Thanks for your feedback. None of the values in the table are computed. The table displays the raw data coming from Tesla. I'd be interested in hearing from other users on 3-phase (Mario is the first) to see what value this shows for them. BTW, I don't see anything in the API that let's me determine that whether the input power is three phase.

Below are the definitions of Rated, Estimated, and Ideal range from the documentation.

• Rated Range: The car's estimate of remaining range based on a fixed energy consumption in Watt-hours/mile (whpm). The fixed whpm is different for different vehicles (85kWh / 60kWh) and in different markets based on the regulatory test for that vehicle in that market. For example, in the US this is based on the EPA estimate.
  • Estimated Range: The car's predicted remaining range based on energy consumption during recent driving
  • Ideal Range: The car's estimate of remaining range based on a fixed energy consumption in Watt-hours/mile (whpm). The fixed whpm is an optimal figure determined by Tesla.

Estimated Range is usually the lowest because people's actual driving consumes more power than either Tesla's ideal number or the local regulatory agency's number. Again, I'm interested in other feedback from folks outside the US.

Side note: Mario and other European users should push Tesla to fix the Americanized abomination of "kph" - the universal and official way is "km/h" as Mario wrote above. How does it display on the dash screen?

I wanted to let you know that I moved VisibleTesla to my physical server a couple of days ago, and it's been working flawlessly. :) Apparently the VM was indeed the issue (I'm guessing related to video drivers, as we've occasionally seen other odd video-related issues on VMs at work).

On another note, after your post last night, I enabled the "Unplugged at time" notification (this is a great idea BTW!) for 9:30 PM. The car was plugged in last night when I went to bed. This morning when I unplugged the car at 6:51 AM, I got an "Input Power is less than 1.0" notification. That would be a very long grace period ;) so perhaps something is amiss? I'll add that I also got a successful notification of completed charge - very nice! :)

I filled in my dutch .nl email address and did set the notifications, but unfortunatly no email received. What can be the problem?

Maybe that i use a .nl email address?

This is the response from the /chargestate using the API - querying an EU version car:

{"charging_state":"Charging","charge_limit_soc":90,"charge_limit_soc_std":90,"charge_limit_soc_min":50,"charge_limit_soc_max":100,"charge_to_max_range":false,"battery_heater_on":false,"not_enough_power_to_heat":false,"max_range_charge_counter":0,"fast_charger_present":false,"battery_range":104.86,"est_battery_range":58.8,"ideal_battery_range":83.89,"battery_level":42,"battery_current":38.9,"charge_energy_added":14.4,"charge_miles_added_rated":56.0,"charge_miles_added_ideal":44.5,"charger_voltage":228,"charger_pilot_current":32,"charger_actual_current":22,"charger_power":5,"time_to_full_charge":2.95,"charge_rate":42.1,"charge_port_door_open":true,"scheduled_charging_start_time":null,"scheduled_charging_pending":false,"user_charge_enable_request":null,"charge_enable_request":true,"eu_vehicle":true,"charger_phases":3}

That's exactly what I do. I use the scheduler to put the app into sleep mode in the evening. When the app goes into sleep mode it stops talking to the car which will allow it to go to sleep. I use another scheduler command to take the app out of sleep mode in the morning. Note that taking the app out of sleep mode won't wake the car up. It just means that when the car does wake up, VT will begin collecting data again.

I've just installed v25, and was wondering what's the recommended schedule settings if I want to leave VT on for a week while I go on a trip. Assuming I know I won't be driving between the hours of midnight and 7am, do I do something like this?
12am -> Sleep
7am -> Daydream

as a future enhancement, perhaps the app could put itself to sleep if it sees no car activity for 30 minutes or something like that, and allow the car to go to sleep? And then after an hour or so go back to Daydream so it can automatically detect when the car has woken up?

as a future enhancement, perhaps the app could put itself to sleep if it sees no car activity for 30 minutes or something like that, and allow the car to go to sleep? And then after an hour or so go back to Daydream so it can automatically detect when the car has woken up?

Funny, I was just wondering something a little bit like this myself. I haven't studied the code or the API terribly closely (yet?), but it occurs to me that VT is already able to detect whether the car is asleep without waking it up, because it does precisely that on startup. So why not, when the app is in sleep mode, still ask Tesla's servers periodically whether the car is still asleep? If that works the way I hope it does, it could allow VT to stay running on a PC and do things like track trips and charging patterns at any time, while still allowing the car to get some sleep.

Great app, by the way, thanks for all the effort you've put into it!

UPDATE: Sorry, jpasqua, I think I skipped or misread what Kipernicus quoted. "Note that taking the app out of sleep mode won't wake the car up. It just means that when the car does wake up, VT will begin collecting data again." If I'm re-reading that correctly, then using the scheduler to put the app into sleep mode, and then taking it out ~30 minutes later, would do what I want. Is that right?

Last edited:
Interpreting 3 phase charging data

User @kseitzberg has supplied me with data from his/her vehicle (thank you) which shows a field I haven't seen before in the charge state data: "charger_phases":3

I'm open to suggestions as to how to incorporate this information. As I mentioned above, the charge tab does not massage the data it gets back from the API. It simply displays it as is. I'd like to stick with that model. Perhaps the right thing to do is to just display whether "charger_phases":3 is present so users may properly interpret the displayed data. Frankly I'm not sure what the correct interpretation of the data should be in that circumstance.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a long grace period! For debugging purposes can you tell me whether the app was running the entire time (overnight) or if you quit at night and started it in the morning. Also, was the app set to go into sleep mode? I don't know whether either of those will matter, but they might.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note: Mario and other European users should push Tesla to fix the Americanized abomination of "kph" - the universal and official way is "km/h" as Mario wrote above. How does it display on the dash screen?

I found one spot in the UI where I used kph and changed it to km/h. That was in the Charge tab. Any place else I missed?

That is a long grace period! For debugging purposes can you tell me whether the app was running the entire time (overnight) or if you quit at night and started it in the morning. Also, was the app set to go into sleep mode? I don't know whether either of those will matter, but they might.
The app was running overnight, but you do make an interesting point. I did indeed have a schedule to put the app in Sleep mode at 11pm and another schedule to put it back into Daydream mode at 5am.

I filled in my dutch .nl email address and did set the notifications, but unfortunatly no email received. What can be the problem?

Maybe that i use a .nl email address?

Hello fmda. Can you give me more information? What notifications did you have set? Did you leave VisibleTesla running? It doesn't have a server component so it must be running in order to send notifications. Also, did you check your junk mail or spam folder?

P.S. As mentioned in the release notes, this is new functionality and is experimental. You may just have hit a bug. If so, any details you can provide may help me find the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi All,

User @Berkut has reported that he is not having any luck scheduling events. He is running VisibleTesla 0.25.00 on:
Windows 7 64bit, with Java SDK 1.7.0_45-b18 64bit and 32bit JRE​
I would appreciate reports from anyone else on Windows who has successfully or unsuccessfully been able to schedule events of any kind. I'd like to get to the bottom of this and I don't spend much time running in Windows.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

Hello fmda. Can you give me more information? What notifications did you have set? Did you leave VisibleTesla running? It doesn't have a server component so it must be running in order to send notifications. Also, did you check your junk mail or spam folder?

P.S. As mentioned in the release notes, this is new functionality and is experimental. You may just have hit a bug. If so, any details you can provide may help me find the problem.
Hello Joe, Yes I did check my junk or spam folder. VisibleTesla is continuesly running. I also tried a google address but still none received. Please find below the screenshots were XXXX is replaced by my domain.

vis1.png
vis2.png

Thanks fmda. It is suspicious that the values are set to 50,50,8AM,50. These are the values set in the User Interface template and should be overridden by other default values when you start the app. Would you please run the app again and then send me the file visibletesla.log which is in the same directory as VisibleTesla.jar? If it's small, you can send it to me by PM. Otherwise PM me and I'll send you my email address. Also, what version of Java do you have installed in Windows?

Thanks fmda. It is suspicious that the values are set to 50,50,8AM,50. These are the values set in the User Interface template and should be overridden by other default values when you start the app. Would you please run the app again and then send me the file visibletesla.log which is in the same directory as VisibleTesla.jar? If it's small, you can send it to me by PM. Otherwise PM me and I'll send you my email address. Also, what version of Java do you have installed in Windows?
Hi Joe, just send you a PM.
My java version is
j.png

- - - Updated - - -

Hi All,

User @Berkut has reported that he is not having any luck scheduling events. He is running VisibleTesla 0.25.00 on:
Windows 7 64bit, with Java SDK 1.7.0_45-b18 64bit and 32bit JRE​
I would appreciate reports from anyone else on Windows who has successfully or unsuccessfully been able to schedule events of any kind. I'd like to get to the bottom of this and I don't spend much time running in Windows.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

I'm on Windows 8.2 64 bit and set up notifications last night, seem to work fine. Not sure which exact Java, but it was the most current as of Tuesday.

I am running VisibleTesla 0.25.00 on Windows Server 2012 using Java Version 7 Update 45. I have successfully scheduled events in the UI, but so far only for Sleep and Daydream, and they both occur while I'm sleeping, so I wouldn't know if they actually executed (unless there is a log I can look at).

I plan to schedule a Charge: Start event soon, and that will confirm functionality. I'll post an update once I've done that.