Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am starting on a Notify tab. This has been requested multiple times.

Excellent. As somebody who blathered on about this much earlier... I certainly appreciate the effort.

As you had stated it was tabled back at the time, I didn't continue in the thread, but I've ben giving it some thought for a while now... so if you are interested in feedback or beta testers, please let me know :)

Thanks again for all the work that you have so graciously shared with us...

In System Preferences there is a checkbox labeled "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom:". Do you have that checked? If so, the system may be intercepting these gestures.
That was it. For others, the setting is under the Accessibility prefs pane.

I'd be glad to help with the notifications testing ...

Thanks,

Klaus

Excellent. As somebody who blathered on about this much earlier... I certainly appreciate the effort.

As you had stated it was tabled back at the time, I didn't continue in the thread, but I've ben giving it some thought for a while now... so if you are interested in feedback or beta testers, please let me know :)

Thanks again for all the work that you have so graciously shared with us...

I would Beta Test the notifications system as well :)

Notifications would be fantastic!

Jpasqua, do you need to go through the hassle of embedding an email dispatcher in VT?

I'm incidentally integrating with Amazon's Simple Notification Service for a project at work and I've found it to be really good for emails, SMS and even mobile push notifications now.

Wouldn't it be simpler for you to integrate with the very straightforward SNS API (through the Amazon AWS Java SDK) and let users of VT register their AWS accounts (the free tier allows for a lot of emails and a fair number of text messages after which it's still very cheap for several thousand messages) and topic subscriptions in the VT prefs?

AWS | Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS) - Push Notification Service

Hi gg_got_a_tesla,

One of the two reasons I've been procrastinating on this feature is the hassle of embedding an email dispatcher in VT. I finally gotten around to looking at hosted services and I've been testing with MailGun. It's got a really simple rest API and is working so far in my limited testing. With their free tier I can do 10,000 emails per month. I can do another 10K for $5/month. If possible, I'd like to spare users from having to create their own accounts.

Thanks for the pointer to Amazon SNS. I'll take a look.

Joe

Can somebody please post step by step installation instructions. I have downloaded and extracted "Visible Tesla Master" and "Tesla Client Master" but am unable to locate VisibleTesla.jar file. can somebody help please.:confused:

0. Install and verify the latest Java runtime engine.
1. Download VisibleTesla 0.24.00.zip
2. Use WinZip of equivalent to extract the contents into your target directory.
3. Navigate into the VisibleTesla 0.24.00 Folder.
4. Run VisibleTesla.jar
3. OR --> Navigate into the Documentation Folder and launch Overview.html.
4. Read the section on installation and interface.
5. Enjoy

- - - Updated - - -

It would be very insightful if the Graphs tab also included Elevation and Outside Temperature data.
With this information we can correlate changes in elevation, temperature and current speed with power consumption.

Cheers

0. Install and verify the latest Java runtime engine.
1. Download VisibleTesla 0.24.00.zip
2. Use WinZip of equivalent to extract the contents into your target directory.
3. Navigate into the VisibleTesla 0.24.00 Folder.
4. Run VisibleTesla.jar
3. OR --> Navigate into the Documentation Folder and launch Overview.html.
4. Read the section on installation and interface.
5. Enjoy

- - - Updated - - -

It would be very insightful if the Graphs tab also included Elevation and Outside Temperature data.
With this information we can correlate changes in elevation, temperature and current speed with power consumption.

Cheers

@ABVA, You downloaded the source code to the application rather than the app itself. Hopefully @Berkut's instructions got you going. You can always look at the documentation and the release notes online.

@Berkut, Thanks for helping out a future user!

I'll put the outside temperature and elevation on the list for the future. At some point I'll need to allow users to select which data they want to collect. The list could get awfully long otherwise.

Experimental: VisibleTesla 0.25.00

Folks,

Version 0.25.00 is available here. It is considered experimental, so it will not be offered as an automatic update unless you have selected the 'Offer experimental versions" setting in Preferences->General->Advanced.

Release 0.25.00 includes the first version of the Notify tab which will allow you to receive notifications via email when various events occur. Note that VisibleTesla must be running in order for you to receive these events. See below for details. Several people have offered to test this functionality. I have used it for several days in various incarnations of the code and it seems to be working regularly for me now.

There are several other changes to the app that are described below. The biggest change is to the Trips tab which has a number of planned improvements.

NOTE: The documentation is not fully updated. I'll do that before I release the non-experimental version. For now, refer to the release notes below and hopefully it won't be too hard to figure out.

VisibleTesla 0.25.00 [12-16-13]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
      • Changed the default for the "Collect Location Data" preference. It used to be unchecked, now it is checked.
    • Charge
    • Graphs
    • Trips
      • Rearranged the layout of the Trips tab to allow for the selection of multiple trips. A typical use case is that you start a trip, stop for lunch, then continue the trip. This will show up as two trips. Now you can select them both and show them on the same map.
      • Each segment will still be displayed with distinct stop and start points (i.e. each trip will begin with a green marker and and with a black one.). No line will be drawn between the position of the car at the end of one trip and the beginning of the next. This works fine in the scenario given above and also if you select truly disjoint trips.
      • Fixed: The wrong Google Maps API key was being used when displaying Trips. This could cause missing map data for some users. The proper API key is now being used.
      • Fixed: The Trips tab would not display any trip that was taken after the app was launched. You would see all trips that occurred before launching VisibleTesla, but new trips would not be visible without restarting the application. Now all completed trips are visible; even those that occurred after the app launched.
      • Notes:
        • If a trip is currently in progress it can be monitored on the Location tab, but it won't be shown on the Trips tab until it is complete.
        • Remember that VisibleTesla has to guess what constitutes a trip. It typically waits for the car to be stationary for 15 minutes before declaring a trip complete. Thus the current trip won't be available in the Trips tab until ~15 minutes after it is complete.
      • Scheduler
      • Notify
        • Added a new Notify tab. It allows you to request notifications when certain types of events occur. For example, if your SOC drops below a certain level or rises above a certain level. The set of notifications is fairly limited.
        • This version should be considered experimental. Notifications are sent via email and the address is specified in the General Preferences.
        • With all wireless carriers I know of in the US, you can enter an email address that corresponds to your cell phone's phone number. This will allow you to receive notifications as text messages or emails.
        • The notifications will be sent via a hosted service and will not require you to enter your email credentials - just an email address. This does not hae to be the same address that you use as your Tesla login.
        • Messages are sent from the address "[email protected]"
        • The available notification types are:
          • SOC Hits or Exceeds: Sends a notification if the State of Charge (SOC) climbs to or beyond a user specified value. Note that the SOC must cross a threshold to get to this value. For example, if you specifiy 85% as the target, the SOC must go from a value below 85% to 85% or above for a notification to be sent. A notification will not be sent if the SOC is already at or above 85% when the app starts up.
          • SOC Falls Below:Sends a notification if the SOC falls below a user specified value.
          • Charge State Becomes: Sends a notification if the Charge State status changes to a given value such as "Disconnected" or changes to any value.
          • Unplugged at time: Sends a notification if the car is not plugged in at a given time.
          • Speed Hits or Exceeds: Sends a notification if the car exceeds a user specified value. Note that once a notification has been sent for this, another notification will not be sent for at least 30 minutes. For example, if you set the target to 70 mph, and your speed hits or exceeds 70, a notification will be sent, but another notification will not be sent for at least 30 minutes even if you fall below 70 and then go back above it many times.
          • Scheduler Event Triggered: Sends a notification if any time a Scheduler activity occurs.
        • Each notification type can be enable or disabled individually.
      • Preferences
        • The tab is now labeled "Prefs" rather than Preferences.
        • Sections with no preferences have been removed.
        • General/Advanced: Added an option that allows power users to use their own Google Maps API key. DO NOT check this box unless you know what this means and have a valid API key issued by Google. If you get this wrong, the Location tab and the Trips tab will fail without notice.
    • Under-the-covers
      • Still tweaking the Streaming data code to try to make it more reliable.
    • Known problems

No problem - glad I could help.

I'll put the outside temperature and elevation on the list for the future. At some point I'll need to allow users to select which data they want to collect. The list could get awfully long otherwise.

That would be great. Thanks again for all the hard work you've done on this project. It has been awesome to view the details of my my trips w/o having to transcribe and plot them manually.

That's good news. Did you figure out what the problem was? Anything I should include in the instructions?

I don't really know. I originally used the links in dropbox and got the various error messages I sent you by PM. The try that worked I used the link for v 0.24 provided by Berkut above and worked like a charm... so maybe the files I was trying to use were corrupt? No idea.

@ABVA, You downloaded the source code to the application rather than the app itself. Hopefully @Berkut's instructions got you going. You can always look at the documentation and the release notes online.

Thank you so very much, both Berkut and JPASQUA. Great App, not only provides a lot more functionality than Tesla App for iPhone and iPad but also give me access to my MS from my PC at home and work.

What worked for me was downloading the app from:

Dropbox - VisibleTesla

You are right that download from:
jpasqua/VisibleTesla · GitHub

downloads the source code. Once again thanks for your help. Hopefully it will help other non-techies like me.

I don't really know. I originally used the links in dropbox and got the various error messages I sent you by PM. The try that worked I used the link for v 0.24 provided by Berkut above and worked like a charm... so maybe the files I was trying to use were corrupt? No idea.

Odd, the link that Berkut provided is the link to my dropbox repository. It's a mystery but I'm glad it's working for you.

Hi All,

I've already received some feedback from @Berkut (thank you) and fixed a couple of small problems. One was a typo in the release notes and the other was a problem with the Property table on the Trips tab. Neither should stop you from testing v0.25.00. I'll wait to see if there are any other bug reports before releasing an updated version.

He also asked for a use case for the "Unplugged at time:" notification. Imagine that you plan to charge your car in the evening, but when you get home from work you forget to plug it in. An "Unplugged at time:" notification could alert you to that fact at 10PM so you have a chance to go plug it rather than waking to an uncharged car. This was suggested by a couple of users.

If you don't care about the implementation, you can skip the rest of this.

The way that notifications work under the covers is that each notification corresponds to a Trigger object. A Trigger has 3 parts: a subject, a predicate, and a target. For example, with "SOC Hits or Exceeds", the subject is State of Charge (SOC), the predicate is "Hits or Exceeds", and the target is the number you set with the slider (or by typing it in). Every time any part of the app queries the State of Charge, the Trigger will be asked to evaluate the predicate using the current value. If the predicate is true, a notification is sent.

There's actually one more part to the Trigger - an optional "at time" parameter. If this parameter is set then the Trigger will only go off at that time. That means it will go off at most once per day. In actuality there is a small grace period. If you start the app very soon after the Trigger time, it will still allow the Trigger to go off if the predicate is satisfied.

So, for "Unplugged at time", the Trigger is:
Subject: Pilot Current (If 0, your car is not plugged in)
Predicate: Less Than
Target: 1
At Time: Time selected by user

If you set up this notification and it goes off, the message you will receive is: "Input Power is less than 1.0". This is automatically generated based on the Subject/Predicate/Target. All of the existing notifications are specified in this way and lots of other triggers could be as well. This will make it easier to implement other notification types in the future if there are useful ones to add.

I have no current plans to do this, but in theory the UI could become completely general. Each notification could be specified in the UI as:
  • Dropdown list that allows you to select a Subject such as State of Charge, Speed, or any other data element that can be queried (e.g. range)
  • Dropdown list that allows you to select a Predicate. The predicates supported currently are:
    • Hits or Exceeds: Takes previous value and current value into consideration. Returns true if was < target and now is >= target
    • Falls Below: Takes previous value and current value into consideration. Returns true if was >= target and now is < target
    • Becomes: Takes previous value and current value into consideration. Returns true if was != target and now is == target
    • Any Change: Any change to the value
    • Less Than: Ignores previous value. Returns true if current value < target
    • Greater Than: Ignores previous value. Returns true if current value > target
    • Equal To: Ignores previous value. Returns true if current value == target
  • Target field: This field type would change depending on the subject and predicate. For example, for SOC it would be a Number and for Charge Status it would be a drop down list of possible values
  • At Time: Specifies an optional time.

As I said, I have no plans to implement this UI, but it is possible based on the underlying implementation.