Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joe, I have another (small?) feature request: would it be possible to set a target cabin temperature in the scheduler? There are occasions when it would be useful to set a specific temp before turning on the HVAC.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Seems like a reasonable idea. I'll put it on the list and think about how to do it.

Joe

I just downloaded VT (25.05) today. I get the original vehicle data OK, but that is all. No odometer, no location. Tesla service says they can read my charge state and the the car talks to them. What is my next step?

Hello eadnjd,

Your next step is to try the iPhone or android app from the same network as VisibleTesla. For example, if you're using VT on your home wireless network, put your phone on the same network and try the Tesla app. Let me know if that works. If it does, launch VT, and after it fails, quit the application. Look inside the application folder and find a file named visibletesla.log. PM the contents to me and I'll see if I can determine what's going on. If the file is too big to send via PM, I'll send you can send it to me via email.

Joe

The file is huge. Here is an excerpt:
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:33 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$DoLogin run
INFO: Vehicle Info: {"color":null,"display_name":null,"id":23812,"option_codes":"MS01,RENA,TM00,DRLH,PF00,BT60,PPSW,RFBC,WT19,IPMT,IDOG,TR00,SU01,SC01,TP01,AU00,CH00,HP00,PA01,PS00,AD02,X014,X020,X025,X001,X003,X007,X011","state":"online","tokens":[],"user_id":29803,"vehicle_id":1948569690,"vin":"5YJSA1CGXDFP03651"}
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:34 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.ChargeState$State <init>
INFO: Raw charge state: {
"reason": "mobile_access_disabled",
"result": false
}
}
}
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:34 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
INFO: Throttling: More than 10 requests in 10 seconds - Portal
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:34 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:39 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:39 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:47 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
WARNING: Error: couldn't retreive auth tokens
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:47 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
WARNING: Can't authenticate for streaming!
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:47 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
WARNING: Snapshot refresh failed!
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:47 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: App Awake, interval = 120
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:48 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:48 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:50 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
INFO: Throttling: More than 20 requests in 60 seconds - Portal
Feb 10, 2014 7:00:55 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:00 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:05 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:10 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:15 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:20 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:25 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:30 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:38 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:38 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:54 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
Feb 10, 2014 7:01:54 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
Feb 10, 2014 7:02:23 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
Feb 10, 2014 7:02:23 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
Feb 10, 2014 7:02:50 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.ChargeState$State <init>
}
Feb 10, 2014 7:02:52 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:02:53 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:02:57 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:02:58 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Feb 10, 2014 7:03:04 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
Feb 10, 2014 7:03:04 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
Feb 10, 2014 7:03:04 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
WARNING: Snapshot refresh failed!
Feb 10, 2014 7:03:04 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: App Awake, interval = 120
Feb 10, 2014 7:03:04 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
Feb 10, 2014 7:03:04 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
Feb 10, 2014 7:03:21 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit

The file is huge. Here is an excerpt:
}

Hello eadnjd,

According to this, mobile access is not enabled. VisibleTesla won't work unless it is. I'm surprised that the iPhone/Android app is working in this state. Can you confirm that it does.

Joe

Hello eadnjd,

According to this, mobile access is not enabled. VisibleTesla won't work unless it is. I'm surprised that the iPhone/Android app is working in this state. Can you confirm that it does.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I do not have a smart phone, so I had not enabled remote access before trying to use Visible Tesla. I missed a very basic first step! I did enable remote and the access works now.:redface:

Hi Rob,

Seems like a reasonable idea. I'll put it on the list and think about how to do it.

Joe

Oooh... if you are willing to start down this slippery slope... :)

Once you consider the logic to do this, is there anything that prevents ANY parameter that accepts a value from being set via scheduler? There aren't a bunch, but another that would be quite useful is SOC setpoint.

(Of course once this happens, I'm going to go back and dig up my post about how handy a rule-builder would be ;) )

As always, thanks for the efforts...

Suggestion:
Maybe put red or flashy art around the login UI that makes it clearer in VT what's going on in this case, and maybe tells the user how to fix it.
(If you haven't already.)

Had the arrowhead for the car disappear in the Location tab. OK the first time, not there when returning after visiting another tab, even with repeat tries. Car vanished from map, though VT still displayed other changes like doors open etc. Restarting VT restores it. .05.

Had the arrowhead for the car disappear in the Location tab. OK the first time, not there when returning after visiting another tab, even with repeat tries. Car vanished from map, though VT still displayed other changes like doors open etc. Restarting VT restores it. .05.

That's weird. Did you happen to save the log file?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Joe. I do not have a smart phone, so I had not enabled remote access before trying to use Visible Tesla. I missed a very basic first step! I did enable remote and the access works now.:redface:

I'm glad it's working. Please let me know if you have other problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Suggestion:
Maybe put red or flashy art around the login UI that makes it clearer in VT what's going on in this case, and maybe tells the user how to fix it.
(If you haven't already.)

Good idea. I added this to the list on github. I'll pop up a dialog on login if the car is not mobile enabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh... if you are willing to start down this slippery slope... :)

Once you consider the logic to do this, is there anything that prevents ANY parameter that accepts a value from being set via scheduler? There aren't a bunch, but another that would be quite useful is SOC setpoint.

(Of course once this happens, I'm going to go back and dig up my post about how handy a rule-builder would be ;) )

As always, thanks for the efforts...

I wondered who would be first to ask for the general case :)
Congratulations! You're the winner (although @musterion asked for a similar sort of thing with notifications).

I'll most likely do a specific case first (like target temp) then based on what I learn, consider the general case. Same for notifications.

Don't hold your breath on the rule builder :) I won't be getting to that soon (even though I like the idea).

Thanks for your input as always.

Last edited:
Just installed on my new Macbook. Many thanks.

Minor suggestions on the faq:

"colelcting" should be "collecting"

In the instructions for changing the jar icon for mac, in step 8:

"
single click on the little coffee cup image" -> "single click on the little coffee cup image at the top of the info window, not the image in the Preview section of the info window"

A link to the .pdf instructions would be useful, too. Until I saw it, I didn't realize that I was clicking on the wrong image.

Hi Joe,

I'm trying to get VT up and running at work, and we are running through a proxy. I found the enable proxy area and filled the host and port but VT seems to lockup on startup with a IO Exception. Would you expect this to work, or is this still an area that is under development?

log file:

Feb 12, 2014 11:22:49 AM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Tesla fetchVehiclesInto
INFO: Problem fetching vehicle list
java.io.IOException: Stream closed
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.getInIfOpen(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at us.monoid.web.AbstractResource.fill(AbstractResource.java:44)
at us.monoid.web.Resty.fillResourceFromURL(Resty.java:432)
at us.monoid.web.Resty.doGET(Resty.java:388)
at us.monoid.web.Resty.json(Resty.java:204)
at us.monoid.web.Resty.json(Resty.java:192)
at org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper.json(RestyWrapper.java:109)
at org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Tesla.fetchVehiclesInto(Tesla.java:210)
at org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Tesla.connect(Tesla.java:170)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.LoginController$AttemptLogin.call(LoginController.java:195)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.LoginController$AttemptLogin.call(LoginController.java:183)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.BaseController$IssueCommand.call(BaseController.java:292)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.BaseController$IssueCommand.call(BaseController.java:283)
at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hi Joe,
Wanted to mention that I'm still seeing an issue with VT not waking up when the car starts up. This morning left for work at 7:15 and the graph is totally flat. There was a brief flurry of activity when I arrived at work and then it went to sleep again.

And again, many thanks for a really super program. I wish Tesla would provide such detailed release notes as you do.

Sorry if this has been asked before but there are too many posts to go through them all. Also, I'm not a techie so please bear with my possibly stupid question.

I followed your directions to download Visible Tesla and extracted the zip files, but I cannot find a .jar file that is supposed to launch the program. (My computer is using Windows 7.) Could it be under a different name now?