Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands often don't "take"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call xxx , Navigate to xxx, Where is xxx., Play xxx. There are frequent periods when nothing I say is recognized. These periods can last minutes, then all of a sudden everything is fine. Does this happen to others ? Any ideas what causes this ? My son has a new model 3 and he said the same thing happens to him.

I seem to see more problems when transitioning from wifi to cellular, but it does eventually stabilize. A correlation with connection issues of some kind seems likely.

When it fails, I find that the speech button doesn't always capture all of the audio. I get better results if I push the button, wait for a couple seconds, then talk, then wait, then push the button again to complete. If I don't, my first word often gets cut out, which throws off the whole command. Maybe the last word, too.

I've <push button> <wait> reported this issue <wait> <push button> several times.

Edit: v9 didn't make this worse for me, it's been like this for months.

When leaving our house, I'll do "Drive to …" before putting the car into reverse, since the recent software releases seem to drop off WiFi when the car gets out of park - causing it to try to use the very weak LTE signal from inside our garage - resulting in poor voice command support for a while.

I mentioned this to the Service guys and they said voice command doesn't depend on the cellular connection. Were they wrong ?

Yes, they are wrong in principal. Technically they are correct since it would work if you had a Wi-Fi connection instead of cellular. But regardless, you need an internet connection in the car.

Regarding the issue; I've had this problem for several generations of firmware, going back to 2017 at least. It almost always works on my second try, but I have to wait for it to time out on the first one. It's super annoying.