Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice recognition Tesla S 2017 with latest firmware update often doesn't recognize any verbal commands. Rebooted and the problem still exists. A little while later it started to recognize verbal commands but after that commands failed again. Anyone have suggestions or similar problems?

I have many times experienced failure to recognize commands when the signal meter showed a strong signal and many times experienced successful recognition when the meter only showed one bar. Perhaps the meter isn't an accurate indicator of the coverage ? How much of voice recognition depends on what is going on at Tesla's end ? Also, what is the round trip path that my commands take to get to and from Tesla's computers? Do they go directly ? My son who lives in the same area as I do has a model 3 and has the same issues.

My 2013 S changed how voice commands are initiated with the latest updates. Previously I had to hold the voice button down, speak the command, and then let go of the button. It does not work this way with the new update. Trust my I thought my commands were broken until I tried a different way. For the new update I tap and release the button and speak the command. It will show your command and then execute it. It works well and has the new voice commands.

My 2013 S stopped recognizing any voice commands at the last update, 2020.4.1. Voice navigation is now useless; I must type in all destinations. Judging by what it does interpret, it seems to be cutting off the last word of the command.

Unlike some others, I've never had to hold the Voice button down while speaking: click Voice, wait for the tone and on-screen acknowledgment, speak the command, click Voice again to end command and execute.

• Informative
Reactions: nsxpert
Voice commands on my MCU1 car have been pretty useless for the past year and a half or so... I think it's because the older MCU is just over taxed on the latest OS.

mine was like this, right until my MCU died and was replaced, then it starting working again, until the recent update. Might have been the earliest sign my MCU was going south.

In my Model S I’ve found it v e r y s l o w to respond since the last update I had (2020.4.1). And a bit hit and miss when it comes to recognition. It’s slow in bringing up the prompt ‘beep’ and then takes a while to construct the phrase before then sometimes doing what I’ve asked or sometimes recognising and ignoring the command. Sometimes it just doesn’t seem to hear anything or construct the command and gives the list of things I could do ‘navigate to palo alto’.

Reminds me of when Apple changed from in-phone recognition to Siri. Sure, the range of commands is wider and expands but the performance is such that it just irritates.

In our model 3 the performance is fine. When there’s good cellular coverage.