Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volt, Bolt, 3 interiors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would probably have to go to home depot and buy some gorilla glue and put it back on...not noticing that I dripped some on my hand and then in an attempt to get it off I rub a hole in my hand having to go to the emergency room for a few stiches that infect my whole arm causing it to have to be amputated.
Soooooo yeah, I hope they integrate that screen <--- to save my arm.
By the time the screen breaks off and the warranty has expired, the Model 3 will be fully autonomous and you won't need that hand to hold the steering wheel to steer the car or to avoid the Autopilot no-hands nag. :)

It is the touchscreens inside BMWs that are tacky, misplaced add-ons...
bmw-i3-rex-interior.jpg

BMW-iDrive-Touchscreen-Test-5er-F11-Prototyp-05.jpg

bmw-i-drive-controller-touchscreen-1.jpg

There is a very substantial standoff that supports the touchscreen in the Model ☰:
Workspace 1_084.png
Workspace 1_083.png

I would not expect it to be a target for vandalism or theft at all. It is quite obviously an integral part of the car itself.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I hope that you are correct. I can just imagine that screen breaking off multiple times and eventually not being covered by a warranty. I mean what would I do then?

I would probably have to go to home depot and buy some gorilla glue and put it back on...not noticing that I dripped some on my hand and then in an attempt to get it off I rub a hole in my hand having to go to the emergency room for a few stiches that infect my whole arm causing it to have to be amputated.
Soooooo yeah, I hope they integrate that screen <--- to save my arm.

Report: Tesla Model 3’s 15-inch display is made by LG

Tesla Model X: Forget “falcon-wings”, the touchscreen dash is geek cred enough

I guess the X prototype screen didn't stick out quite as much as the 3, but it still changed to like the S in the final design.

Report: Tesla Model 3’s 15-inch display is made by LG

Tesla Model X: Forget “falcon-wings”, the touchscreen dash is geek cred enough

I guess the X prototype screen didn't stick out quite as much as the 3, but it still changed to like the S in the final design.

Here was the 2009 Model S prototype interior:
image.jpeg

The screen looked pretty integrated. Based on the comments of the engineers at the reveal, the "screen on a stick" design is staying. It's part of moving the dash forward to gain cabin space.

Reactions: Red Sage
I have to say, the whole reason I haven't put in a deposit on the Model 3 is because of that interior. I loathe center-mounted dashboards. It's like a Toyota Echo or other equally terrible budget car. If the interior doesn't give me a screen directly in front of my face, I can't see myself in one of these cars. Which is a shame, because I've been excited for a Model 3 ever since there was a twinkle of hope for an affordable version of the Model S.

For GM interiors, you can control most functions without removing your hands from the wheel, either though voice or thumb buttons.

Adjustments that require fine settings, you use the projected rotary knobs with no eyes off the road.

The center console screen isn't necessary for normal use since NAV instructions are in the speedometer display or HUD depending on model.

Lots of cars are moving in this direction.

Good or bad? Can't say. Certainly not lousy ergo though. The center screen is not actually required. On some of the Cadillacs, the center screen can hidden if so desired, but not sure if that still applies in 2016/2017. You push a button, and the screen slides into the dash so only basic info is visible at the top.

Today's slope dashes sort of suck for those who used to store thing up there, but with the steeper angle of modern windshields, it's necessary to reduce dashboard reflections on the viewing area of the glass.

I have to say, the whole reason I haven't put in a deposit on the Model 3 is because of that interior. I loathe center-mounted dashboards. It's like a Toyota Echo or other equally terrible budget car. If the interior doesn't give me a screen directly in front of my face, I can't see myself in one of these cars. Which is a shame, because I've been excited for a Model 3 ever since there was a twinkle of hope for an affordable version of the Model S.
I'd be very surprised if there isn't some kind of display behind the steering wheel along with at least an optional HUD. No way they'll put everything in the center and it's just barren in front of the driver.

You might be kicking yourself later for not putting in for a reservation early and waiting until the final reveal before deciding if you like it or not.

I'd get the Model ☰ if it had no displays, readouts, or controls in front of me at all beyond the steering wheel and foot pedals.
So will I.

The future of personal transportation is fewer displays in the driver's sight line, not more. Onboard systems will gradually take over more and more functions requiring less clutter directly in front of the driver. And in a few years the cars will be driving themselves more safely and reliably than human drivers.

@Az_Rael thanks for posting that image of the very early Model S interior. That looks terrible compared to what actually went into production.

Reactions: Red Sage
@Az_Rael thanks for posting that image of the very early Model S interior. That looks terrible compared to what actually went into production.
Indeed. I share that thanks! Some people mysteriously preferred that original interior, as they found it more 'luxurious' looking, perhaps more comfortably familiar, and they liked the separate head rests on the seats... It looks rather claustrophobic and overstuffed to me, though. As you say, 'terrible'. Thus, I think it was probably a short term holdover from what FISKER would have done instead, not what Franz Von Holzhausen would have wanted.

Front-dash.jpg

Fisker-Karma-Fotos-Modelos-Caracter%C3%ADsticas-e-Pre%C3%A7os-2.jpg

fiskerkarmainterior-l-114d9b5057269108.jpg

I'd be very surprised if there isn't some kind of display behind the steering wheel along with at least an optional HUD. No way they'll put everything in the center and it's just barren in front of the driver.

You might be kicking yourself later for not putting in for a reservation early and waiting until the final reveal before deciding if you like it or not.

Nah, I wouldn't say I'd be kicking myself, honestly. While I want to get into an EV like right away, I can wait. Based on what we've seen with both the Model S and the Model X, I'm not sure I want a Model 3 within the first 9-12 months of production. Either something will not be working right or they'll fairly quickly start introducing new hardware, or something like that. My plan is to try to get a two year lease on something subpar, but passable, like a Kia Soul EV or Hyundai Ioniq EV, then once that lease is up, go Tesla. I was hesitant to pull the trigger right away, and once day 1 passed, I knew I wouldn't be getting the tax credit nor would I be getting one within the first few months, so I'm resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to just have to wait a little bit.

I agree. A center console display is fine but I still like to have a display behind the wheel. I also don't like the display hanging off a stalk. I'd rather it be integrated into the dash.

I'm still likely to get it though. There is still a small possibility I might get a used S. We will see what happens in the next two years.

I'd get the Model ☰ if it had no displays, readouts, or controls in front of me at all beyond the steering wheel and foot pedals.

I would too; however, not in combination with autopilot. Tesla already has an issue with not communicating well enough the AP intentions to the driver, doing it with just a center console would be insane.

Thank you kindly.