Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volt now, M3 later, no garage! Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's my situation, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. The lease is up on my current car, and I'm thinking of buying a Volt until my M3 comes. I currently don't have a garage, and the closest my car can get to an outlet is about 24 feet. Any outlet will be outside, under a bit of a porch. My house was built in 1930, so I'm obviously looking at $$$ for wiring upgrade. What can I install to charge the Volt now, and the Tesla later? Just trying to reduce the need for more electrial work down the road. Electrical jargon is all Greek to me.

I would consult with an electrician, but I think your best bet would be to install a charging station such as a Clipper Creek or similar. Depending on the available space/amperage in your circuit box of your house you may be able to do as little electrical work as installing a new breaker and then wiring to a location on the outside of the house to put a NEMA 6-30 plug. That would give you a 24 AMP effective charger so you'd plug something like this Clipper Creek Portable Charger into it for the Volt and could also use it (with a Tesla supplied J1772 adapter) for your Model 3.

Hope that is of some help!