Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volt Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ultimate Egg

For the ultimate egg:

Cd: .19
794122191_958767f537_m.jpg

I rather like it, as some of you may have noticed.

Fuel Efficient Vehicles Now! - 230 MPG Aptera

"...Aptera's space-age configuration and appearance result from pushing for an extremely low aerodynamic drag coefficient (Cd). The original Cd design goal was 0.06, radically lower than any production vehicle, even lower than the 0.075 Cd of the record-breaking Shell Eco Marathon PAC-Car II race vehicle. Aptera's web site now shows a Cd of 0.11, far short of the design goal but still astonishingly good. For comparison: Honda Insight Cd=0.25. Mercedes Benz's Bionic Car and General Motors EV-1 both have a Cd=0.19. Daihatsu UFE-III Cd=0.168. GM Precept Cd=0.163. Aerodynamics in Car Design shows that the Ford Probe IV achieved a Cd=0.152 and the Ford Probe V did even better with a Cd=0.137. Some of these comparison vehicles have very low aerodynamic drag while still looking more-or-less like conventional automobiles. Aptera certainly does not look like a conventional automobile...."

0.15CD Probe IV:
image002.gif

0.137CD Probe V:
image004.gif

0.11CD Aptera
Aptera-On-Road.jpg

0.075CD PACII:
pac_car_II

Now we have to ask, What is a car?

These record breakers are single surface vehicles at best. Try going up a driveway in them.

Second, let's talk crash tests. And headlights. And airbags. They are dream cars that inhabit the likes of Finky and friends.

Well as one of the first of the promised next-gen vehicles I have to say that my socks haven't been blown off.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice; it's functional; it's certainly a ground-breaking achievement for a company with the inertia of GM. I hope it draws plenty of plaudits and custom their way, even if they can't make a profit on this particular model.

Most of all I hope it gets many many drivers dabbling with home recharging and electric-only driving. Same with the "no tailpipe" rear end. These all help to bring key elements of BEV functionality and styling to a wider public.

Looking forward to reading the test drive reports.

Designwise I really like this as a "useful" design. I.e. it beats many other normal cars but not Aston Martin and the likes :)

I hated the concept so in my eyes this is a LOT better. And on pictures it actually looks so good I wouldn't mind buying this. Of course we in Europe will probably have to settle for the Opel version, which usually means really really boring designwise. Oh well around 2010 we'll be able to compare the design and specs of the Model S, Volt, Opel XX and probably some more alternatives as well.

Cobos