Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volvo plans an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are quite a few 4 door sedans in this day and age that go 0-60mph in around 6 seconds. When you are paying 50k+ for a car, it better have more balls than 11 seconds 0-60, especially for an EV. It's very clear that car manufacturers, are stalling the EV revolution by bringing lackluster EVs to market.

For some segment of the EV market (me included), there is absolutely no "cachet" in 0-60 in 11 seconds...there is no cachet in Volvo's styling either...I don't mean to sound elitist, but there will always be a segment of the EV auto market that wants it all (currently the Tesla)...just as there will always be a segment of the EV auto market that is only interested in basic transportation...historically, it was / is this way in the ICE vehicle market, I'm not surprised that the newly emerging EV market will mirror the consumer demands of the ICE vehicle market.

stalling the EV revolution by bringing lackluster EVs to market.

Come on.

If you want to squeeze the advertised acceleration numbers out of an ICEV you have to pull to the redline in every gear. How often does the average person do that? If you shift at 2/3 of the redline, you're getting nowhere near max performance. That Volvo effortlessly delivers max possible torque for the given speed instantly every time you floor it. The difference is enormous.

I'm not defending their statement about cutting no corners, I agree that was ridiculous.

Last edited:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/97479/volvo-c30-electric-crash-example-at-detroit-show/
Volvo-C30-Electric.jpg

“We are the first car maker in the world to show what a truly safe electric car looks like after a crash. This is of utmost importance not only to the people riding in an electric car, but also to for example first responders.”

Interesting to see that they use a ethanol based heater to heat the cabin and not drain the batteries. I wonder how much fuel that will use for every hour of driving. I personally think it's a good way to use EV's in cold climates until we reach higher battery capacities.