TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vtech Chip

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by bnsfengineer, Nov 28, 2017.

1. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Has anyone tried the Vtech chip that is supposed to increase range by 10%? Also performance as well? They claim it is undetectable by Tesla?

2. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

3. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

4. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

looks interesting, I wouldnt be surprised if it works, as Tesla's become more popular and get into the hands of 3rd party vendors, tuning will likely become a common upgrade

5. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

My thoughts as well but they give you 14 days to try out and return. Fairly inexpensive about $300

6. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Looks like it simply lies to the car about what your foot is doing, dampens your inputs to reduce power consumption.

I would suspect chill mode might accomplish similar.

• Like x 1
  7. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Hmm...maybe I could try that for a DAY!:)

8. Ande

Ande Member

meh, a simple device at a high price. Simply changing the throttle curve and most likely do some hard averaging and filtering to make changes much slower. Kill responsiveness.
    Most likely very much what Tesla does in Chill mode.
    Buying that device is a waste of money unless you have smoe crazy twitching in your foot.
    If there were such a simple solution to +10% range, every EV would already do that, after all, it's in Teslas interest to have as good range as possible.

Finally: Tesla uses two potmeters to detect accelerator pedal for safety, unusual deviance between them is detected. I would not bet such a device may have taken some shortcuts, as to read only one potmeter, then emulate both out - which would reduce safety.

• Informative x 1
  9. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Such companies are well known for WILDLY overstating benefits and on ICE vehicles many electronic sensor filtering devices lead to a temporary improvement that the computer learns out. I doubt Tesla "learns" the same way since it isn't impacted by varying fuel quality and atmospheric conditions like an ICE is.

Way off topic, an in-law is a BNSF Roadmaster.