Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait times for Tesla to schedule inspection with city (solar/powerwall)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long have you all waited for Tesla to schedule an inspection with the city? It's been almost two weeks for me, I've reached out to my project advisor a few times and they say they will follow up with that department, but I have not received any indication of when it will happen, or why it hasn't happened yet.

For me they scheduled next day..but installers changed the location of powerwall so had to get the plan updated and then re-approved.. and that took about 8 working days.. then the inspection was scheduled for next day.. This is in L.A area

For me they scheduled next day..but installers changed the location of powerwall so had to get the plan updated and then re-approved.. and that took about 8 working days.. then the inspection was scheduled for next day.. This is in L.A area

Ah, this may be the issue for me. I had them install the powerwalls on the opposite side of the garage. They probably need to resubmit the plan and get it re-approved.

Follow up with your town, don't trust what Tesla says. I can't even count the number of times they told me the project was waiting on X just to find out they either lost stuff, didn't submit it, or a 'glitch' happened. Regarding inspection, they were supposedly waiting on the inspector to get back to them for a few days so I called myself and he came out the same day, he said he hadn't heard from Tesla when I talked to him. Confirm everything they tell you otherwise your project may sit in limbo for extended periods of time.

Ah, this may be the issue for me. I had them install the powerwalls on the opposite side of the garage. They probably need to resubmit the plan and get it re-approved.

They might need to, if it doesnt match. Also, if you self schedule it, its likely tesla wont have anyone there, and the tesla person who is there to meet the inspector is also the person who puts all the "required" stickers on your equipment. You wouldnt have those stickers if you self schedule without tesla, at least I dont think so, and its entirely possible you would fail the inspection without the stickers (and then have to pay to have the inspector come back out).

Better to push tesla on why they are taking that long. In my case my city / AHJ inspection (powerwall add on to existing solar) was only like 5 days, but they didnt change a thing based on the plans. They wouldnt even install a 14-50 outlet I asked them to install, because it wasnt on the plans / permit.

Our plans had to be updated before inspection to reflect our powerwalls being on the opposite side of the garage wall and the adjustment to the panel placement on one of our roofs that my husband had asked for. The plans have to match what the inspector is going to see and what gets recorded and filed at the city building department. Also as @jjrandorin mentioned the Tesla person applied all the appropriate red stickers that need to be there. He showed up a little bit earlier than the scheduled time to do this and looked over the installed equipment before hand. We're SF Bay area.

Got a call this afternoon from Tesla, the inspection is set for next Wednesday.
Double congrats!! That was quick!

Have they put all the stickers and placards on all the boxes yet? The Tesla Inspection coordinator put ours on in a rush the morning of the inspection. And the city inspector had us sign a statement that said we smoke detectors in every room and a CO detector on each floor. They were not going into homes to check for those like they used to pre-Covid.

Double congrats!! That was quick!

Have they put all the stickers and placards on all the boxes yet? The Tesla Inspection coordinator put ours on in a rush the morning of the inspection. And the city inspector had us sign a statement that said we smoke detectors in every room and a CO detector on each floor. They were not going into homes to check for those like they used to pre-Covid.

Thanks again jboy210. It was definitely a lot quicker than I expected after hearing my advisor telling me yesterday it could take up to two weeks. The team came back the day after install to do a powerwall with solar test and fix a few roof tiles, at that time they went through the area and went red sticker crazy.