Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting a month for parts: Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In early April, my 6-month-old Model 3 was stopped, when the car in front of me suddenly goes into reverse and puts a golf-ball-sized dent in the front bumper. If this had been my fault, I would likely have just lived with it, but since it was clearly the other driver's fault, I went ahead with getting it repaired.

Went into the recommended body shop to get an estimate, and was sent away to await Tesla parts. Two weeks later, they were in and I took the car in for repair. Now it's a month later.

Once a week, I call in and ask "what's up?" In each case, they say "Tesla shipped the parts on xxx (some date). Once they get here, it'll take us a day to finish. We'll call you." They never do. A week later, I call back, and they say "Tesla didn't send the parts, but now they say the'll ship on xxx (a new date)." This has happened four times. What the heck?

We're waiting on the bumper mounts, as far as I know. Seems stupid to wait a month for bumper mounts.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed? I see no indication that my parts will ever arrive. My car is depreciating daily while it sits in the body shop parking lot. I'm tired of dealing with it. Would love to know what people think would be an appropriate way forward. Someone to call at Tesla? Something to do that will get these parts delivered? Thanks!

It’s absurd that it takes Tesla that long to ship the parts, but in the meantime, any chance you could get your car back from the body shop while they wait for the parts?

Tried that. They have the bumper off and won't put it back on. And it's 90 minutes away--not an easy or convenient "drop in" situation. Thanks!

To be honest, I am not convinced the body shop isn't just lying to me. Can't figure out why. But the story keeps changing. Why would Tesla indicate that they were shipping them the parts, and then not ship them?

In early April, my 6-month-old Model 3 was stopped, when the car in front of me suddenly goes into reverse and puts a golf-ball-sized dent in the front bumper. If this had been my fault, I would likely have just lived with it, but since it was clearly the other driver's fault, I went ahead with getting it repaired.

Went into the recommended body shop to get an estimate, and was sent away to await Tesla parts. Two weeks later, they were in and I took the car in for repair. Now it's a month later.

Once a week, I call in and ask "what's up?" In each case, they say "Tesla shipped the parts on xxx (some date). Once they get here, it'll take us a day to finish. We'll call you." They never do. A week later, I call back, and they say "Tesla didn't send the parts, but now they say the'll ship on xxx (a new date)." This has happened four times. What the heck?

We're waiting on the bumper mounts, as far as I know. Seems stupid to wait a month for bumper mounts.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed? I see no indication that my parts will ever arrive. My car is depreciating daily while it sits in the body shop parking lot. I'm tired of dealing with it. Would love to know what people think would be an appropriate way forward. Someone to call at Tesla? Something to do that will get these parts delivered? Thanks!

Maybe try another body shop. Mine took about 3 days to get a new rear bumper in.

Thanks. Believe me, next time I will. But the car is currently in pieces at this one.

Just talked with them. They SAY all the parts are finally in, and will be ready at 8AM tomorrow. We'll see. This has been a long haul.

Thanks. Believe me, next time I will. But the car is currently in pieces at this one.

This has been a long haul.

Sorry to read your thread. Not all Tesla employees are the same. Not all Rangers are the same. Not all service centers are the same. Not all body shops are the same. Not all Tesla certified body shops are the same as well. Always shop around before you intrust someone to work on your ICE car or Tesla. It truly is most unfortunate that many stories still surface to this day about parts delays.

It truly is most unfortunate that many stories still surface to this day about parts delays.

I guess you are all lying. I swear I saw a tweet from Mr. Musk that Tesla has instituted 24 hour repair process, and I saw a lot of reply tweets, 'Atta boy Elon", "Kudos Elon, great job".. yada yada..

OP - are you sure your bumper is not repaired the very next day? I don't believe you.

Happy to hear your outcome, kengetz.

Here is my parts story. Was rear-ended on December 7, 2019--no injuries but damage to the trunk and rear bumper. Parts were ordered by my body shop from Tesla on December 11, and Tesla sent a letter to me on December 28 saying that most of the parts had been delivered. Tesla sent another letter on January 2, 2020 which indicated that all parts had been delivered to the body shop. I phoned the body shop today, and they said they haven't received all the parts--also mentioned that other customers have received letters from Tesla that parts were shipped but parts hadn't been shipped. Anyone have an experience like this? Do you know of any way to get Tesla to be more accurate about this kind of information or know of any way to speed up Tesla getting parts to body shops?

Thanks