Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for DC-DC converter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope this is the right place to post, mods can feel free to move to another thread if necessary.

In early December, a visit to the Charlotte SC revealed that my DC-DC converter needs replacing (A/C and heat are minimally functional) on my 2013 85. . They ordered the part (Gen 1 parts not in stock...) and would call me in for the repair upon arrival.

It's now been 5 weeks and nothing so far. Anyone with a Classic S know if this is a normal amount of time to wait? It's been cold here in South Carolina and the heat has worked just well enough that it hasn't been a bother. However it's warming up again (pushing 70 and sunny today!) and the A/C is not strong enough to keep it cool in the cabin.

Am I better of waiting or searching here and Ebay for a Gen1 converter then taking that to the SC for replacement?

Thank you all.

• Funny
Reactions: Decibelle
I doubt your SC would install a part that you bought from eBay. Keep bothering them because they probably won't call you when the part comes in. I had a seat on order and they never called me when it came in. It was sitting there for like 2 months before I got it installed

I had raised an executive escalation on waiting for the DC-DC, and a few days later it arrived in Charlotte (not sure if there was a correlation). Got it put in in early Feb. The repair only took a day, but we had to get a loaner b/c we couldn't hang out for the day. I came back after 3 days or so and everything was ready...works great! a little over $2k for the repair though.... $$$$$$

• Informative
Reactions: Newscutter
Tesla won't give the part number out because it's a high voltage repair. Soooo, I'm going to order one off Ebay and refurbish my old one so I always have a backup. Why? Because these are $5 fuses people and we have a case of really bad engineering that Tesla has fixed on newer models but refuses to fix on the Gen 1 DC-DC converter. Why would anyone spend $2K to replace a fuse because they have a bad heater or A/C pump? Because they don't understand this technology, which is rather same as gas engines in many respects. Tesla needs to fix the Gen. 1 DC-DC converter on older models so owners don't have to spend $2K to replace a fuse when another part goes bad. My electric tankless water heaters do the same thing when the elements go bad. How do I fix those? I replace the elements or CLR them and switch the breaker back on. C'mon Tesla! You guys are taking the old Gen 1 DC-DC converters and refurbishing(replacing a $5 fuse) and selling them for new prices. Elon Musk just announced he's starting a candy business yesterday because of Warren Buffett's "moats." If this isn't a patented "moat" and price gouging, I don't know what is!!!! I filed a complaint with tech support and will voice my concern with the SC too but this is going to creat ill will within the customer base.

Reactions: Newscutter
I hope this is the right place to post, mods can feel free to move to another thread if necessary.

In early December, a visit to the Charlotte SC revealed that my DC-DC converter needs replacing (A/C and heat are minimally functional) on my 2013 85. . They ordered the part (Gen 1 parts not in stock...) and would call me in for the repair upon arrival.

It's now been 5 weeks and nothing so far. Anyone with a Classic S know if this is a normal amount of time to wait? It's been cold here in South Carolina and the heat has worked just well enough that it hasn't been a bother. However it's warming up again (pushing 70 and sunny today!) and the A/C is not strong enough to keep it cool in the cabin.

Am I better of waiting or searching here and Ebay for a Gen1 converter then taking that to the SC for replacement?

Thank you all.
Hey there - I'm researching this issue as our the A/C Compressor in our 2013 Model S has just short circuited which caused the DC-DC Converter to internally short requiring a $4,000 replacement of both. The searching I've done on this forum and those on tesla.com tells me 1) Tesla's AC compressor in the 2013's had a design flaw and 2) Tesla knew about it and changed the design in later models. I believe our repairs should be covered. Question - did Tesla cover the costs of the new parts or no?

I have a 2003 Model S with 15,000 and also live in Chicago. I just brought my car in because I was getting a warning about the 12V battery being low. When I went to pick up my car today, they said there was a short in the battery and that all was corrected for free (I do not have an extended warranty). When I got in my car I noticed the AC was not working and the tech told me I would need to leave the car for them to investigate. I just got a text that says:

“Technician did identify the AC compressor has short circuit and the DCDC converter has an internal short. Technician recommending replacement of the AC compressor and the DCDC converter. EST total cost is $4,031.38. This will be to address your AC concern. Would you like to proceed with replacing the DCDC Con and AC compressor or decline? Please feel free to let us know as we plan to order parts—Thank you.”

I responded back asking for someone to call me and it has now been several hours with no call back. I have and have had other luxury cars and never had an AC issue after so few miles and that was so expensive to repair. This is definitely a product defect that Tesla should be convering.

I have a 2003 Model S with 15,000 and also live in Chicago. I just brought my car in because I was getting a warning about the 12V battery being low. When I went to pick up my car today, they said there was a short in the battery and that all was corrected for free (I do not have an extended warranty). When I got in my car I noticed the AC was not working and the tech told me I would need to leave the car for them to investigate. I just got a text that says:

“Technician did identify the AC compressor has short circuit and the DCDC converter has an internal short. Technician recommending replacement of the AC compressor and the DCDC converter. EST total cost is $4,031.38. This will be to address your AC concern. Would you like to proceed with replacing the DCDC Con and AC compressor or decline? Please feel free to let us know as we plan to order parts—Thank you.”

I responded back asking for someone to call me and it has now been several hours with no call back. I have and have had other luxury cars and never had an AC issue after so few miles and that was so expensive to repair. This is definitely a product defect that Tesla should be convering.
Curious what happened? My 2013 just lost all heat.