Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walgreens Chargepro Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GeekGirls

Kid in Candy Store
Dec 30, 2012
Seattle
Has anyone else had problems with the Chargepro network that appears to be ubiquitous at Walgreens? I don't have a Chargepro card but the instructions displayed by the unit state that you can use your card OR just start charging, presumably because they're not charging for, er, charging. Seems simple enough. Once plugged in the station claims it has started and then stops shortly thereafter, and shows that charging is "complete." I have used my J1772 adapter with ChargePoint stations successfully.

Any insights? Problems or successes?

Has anyone else had problems with the Chargepro network that appears to be ubiquitous at Walgreens? I don't have a Chargepro card but the instructions displayed by the unit state that you can use your card OR just start charging, presumably because they're not charging for, er, charging. Seems simple enough. Once plugged in the station claims it has started and then stops shortly thereafter, and shows that charging is "complete." I have used my J1772 adapter with ChargePoint stations successfully.

Any insights? Problems or successes?

I thought that all of the Walgreens were using ChargePoint? I haven't heard of Chargepro. And I also thought that all of the Walgreens were chargeing $0.49/kWh, which is ridiculous, especially considering there are oftentimes other ChargePoints within walking distance that are free.

I thought that all of the Walgreens were using ChargePoint? I haven't heard of Chargepro. And I also thought that all of the Walgreens were chargeing $0.49/kWh, which is ridiculous, especially considering there are oftentimes other ChargePoints within walking distance that are free.

I have seen different EVSEs at different Walgreens. And different rates charged.
walg1.jpg

Some have Coulomb Chargpoint... Some have SemaConnect ChargePro.
350green seems to be an entity that was involved in the installs.

SemaConnect | CrunchBase Profile
...SemaConnect installations and accomplishments include successful deployments of over 150 ChargePro charging stations in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. SemaConnect announced the largest commercial order of EV Charging stations when they partnered with 350Green for the national launch of 1,500 charging stations across the U.S. at major retail locations including Walgreens...

chargePro-network-product.png

electric-vehicle-charging.jpg

It's good to hear that the Model S works with Chargepro. Roadsters have problems with them. Many if not all of these stations have a tight 5mA GFCI which most Roadsters will trip immediately. The station has LED light which go red when this happens along with a cryptic error.

I might be mistaken, but I believe that Chargepro equipment uses SemaConnect's SemaCharge Pass.

You are correct, though I haven't seen any other charge stations on their network here. The instructions on the station seem to indicate that the pass is optional when charging is free. It does indicate that it is charging when connected as well – it just stops before current ramps up. You've successfully used one of their chargers with a Model S, then? Please confirm.

It's good to hear that the Model S works with Chargepro. Roadsters have problems with them. Many if not all of these stations have a tight 5mA GFCI which most Roadsters will trip immediately. The station has LED light which go red when this happens along with a cryptic error.

Is there a way around this (maybe lowering charge to 20A)?

Even with the Roadster? I am using the Tesla J1772 cable and can't get it to work on three separate EVSEs. Thanks.

They definitely won't work with Roadster 2.x and a few Model S have had problems as well. These stations were made by Schneider who admitted there was a mistake made in the design, but refused to replace or repair any of them. ChargePro was their economy brand and they had lots of problems. They discontinued that line and started making new hardware, most commonly branded EVLINK which was released fall of 2012. Last I heard you could still buy ChargePro but it's now using the same hardware as the EVLINK stations, and it's more reliable (works with Roadster, MS).