Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk Away Door Lock Timer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So recently I just got my MYLR last week and I setup the walk away door lock. I’ve noticed that it takes around 35 seconds to lock actually after leaving the vehicle. Is there a way to make this time instantaneous? Seems like 35 seconds is a fairly large amount of time.

So recently I just got my MYLR last week and I setup the walk away door lock. I’ve noticed that it takes around 35 seconds to lock actually after leaving the vehicle. Is there a way to make this time instantaneous? Seems like 35 seconds is a fairly large amount of time.
I thought it was more of a distance from the car thing rather than a time thing. Is my assumption incorrect?

Reactions: lobsterdam
Upvote 0
Yes I believe it’s distance/Bluetooth if you use your phone as a key. I have heard of people car not locking because they sleep over the garage and the car still is connected to their phone. When my car is in a parking lot if I get two parking spots away it will lock.

Upvote 0
I bet they do bluetooth signal strength to determine if the car should lock or not.

But they need a bit of a delay, so it will be "if BT signal strength drops below X dBm for Y seconds" lock the car.

The reason the signal has to drop below the threshold for Y seconds is to stop the car from locking if the signal strength drops momentarily.

Another interesting question if this is right would be.

On Keyless entry cars, the thieves use a transmitter relay...Stick one box near the house, where the key is, and one in the car, and the 2 are linked up, making the car think the key is in the car.

If i am right, i would imagine if the thief knew where your phone is at night, they would be able to get a similar setup, to fool the car into thinking that the phone was near the car.

In this case, the safest thing would be to have the bluetooth turned off when sleeping.

EDIT : Well did not take long to find someone claiming to have done a relay attack.

Seems Tesla has tried mitigating this by limiting how long your phone can take to reply...A relay attack would add latency, but these guys say they have made a device that can transmit from sender to receiver in the relay so fast the car will not be able to detect that this is a relay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0