TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Walk away honk

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by RobbL, Aug 9, 2018.

1. RobbL

RobbL Member

i haven’t placed an order yet, still collecting info. I have seen mention of the “walk away honk” when the doors lock. I know this is optional, but am still surprised to hear it is a honk, which, on other cars I have found to be noisy, particularly at night. I far prefer the soft electronic beep that many cars transitioned to as the notification sound. Certainly audible, but far less disturbing. Is the honk the same as pressing the horn, and is there an option for an alternate notification sound?

Robb

2. oakvillemike

oakvillemike Member

It sounds like pressing the horn for a fraction of a second. Not enough to be annoying.

No alternative sound.

• Like x 2
  3. Robert2on

Robert2on Member

My wife and I both prefer it given the need to just walk away from the car to lock it. We always seem to be looking back to see if the lights blink and mirrors fold, but with the very gentle beep, it's much more reassuring. I don't find it overly loud in my garage either.

• Like x 1
  4. ronm2948

ronm2948 Member

The horn beep is subtle. I don’t like the cars that “honk”, but the Model 3’s beep doesn’t really sound like a honk.

5. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

My previous car had a loud honk when arming. This is a fraction of that sound, it's very subtle and easy on the ears. When it's noisy outside, if you don't listen for it, you may not hear it. I doubt you'll have a problem with Model 3's lock notification.

6. ksb467

ksb467 Member

I’d describe it closer to a beep, audible once you get about 20’ away, sort of like giving your horn a light tap.

7. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Electronic car alarm beeps are so 90s!

Seriously, I don't know if its even physically possible for this car to emit anything but a honk.

8. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

I want an easter egg that plays a recording of Elon saying "Your car is locked. Also don't short Tesla."

• Funny x 2